Coyote calling rifle

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by MarkS, Dec 4, 2017.

1. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

I've killed the most with my old 222, and next with the 218 Bee. I am a pelt saver, and a caller. Don't really need a cartridge to reach out beyond 200 yards, and usually not more than a hundred. We've killed a lot with the shotguns.

Our coyotes out here are around 35 pounders, and I've only killed a couple that were in the 50 pound zone. They were so huge as to be memorable, and are very rare.

I only shot a few with my 243 before I decided that it was waaaayyy too much gun for a guy who wants nice pelts.

For my style of hunting, it's a lot more important to use a rifle that I can shoot accurately off-hand at a hundred yards, than one that will reach out 500 yards. Been my experience that guys who talk about the five hundred yard thing don't really shoot all that many coyotes. No offense meant if you are one of those guys. I'm just saying that coyotes are pretty small that far away, and coyote hunting conditions are a little more difficult than prairie dogs or chucks for instance. jd

villarreal, Mudhead, swd and 7 others like this.
  2. TimS

TimS Gold $$ Contributor

I've never had or even heard of a calling rifle. The concept is interesting though. I just take my Foxpro along with me.

Skunce, xswanted, 1raggedhole and 6 others like this.
  3. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve been using a .243 and 22-250 on my western coyote hunting trips. Right now I’m doing load work up for a 22-243ai that just might become my new favorite.

simo hayha and fredo like this.
  4. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

My favorite since 1972 has been the .243 with a medium heavy barrel shooting 58 gr VMAX's. Or my new one...A 25.06 shooting 75 gr. Vmax's, pure laser! I don't worry about the pelts.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  5. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Oh. Beautiful area pictures!

6. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

I think all calibers spoken above work. I think you would be happiest building at least two...switch it up. The coyotes might get used to ones calls, always best to be prepared!

7. daniel brothers

daniel brothers Silver $$ Contributor

The OP only offered three choices. I assumed that he was talking factory calibers... not custom stuff. From personal experience, I started killing coyotes with a 223 w/ fiocchi 40 gr ammo... and dumped several in the dirt... but when I started shooting my 204 w/fiocchi 40 vmax.... I never shot the 223 again.
    I shot some with the 22-250 and 243, but when I wanted to get SERIOUS.... I now own a 20-250AI w/55 gr bergers...and a 22-243AI w/80 amaxes. These two are the ultimate coyote calibers. But if I could only have one choice of the OP's three... then the 243 would cover a lot of coyote killing situations.

fredo likes this.
  8. B Nettesheim

B Nettesheim Silver $$ Contributor

The plain old 22-250 can't be any eaiser. 36 grains of varget on a 50 grain bt works every time for me. I lost a couple using a 223 i wont say its a bad round but i never lost one with a 22-250. Bang flop nuff said!

Sitsntree likes this.
  9. MarkS

MarkS Silver $$ Contributor

I want to keep it simple. I have done all the wildcat cals. If I were building a gun it would be a 6BR or 6BRX. I have both, but they are heavy, single shot guns. I want a sporter or middle weight gun, with a mag. I am leaning to the 243. I have all the 6mm stuff. I like the 87gr Vmax for killing, I don't care about fur. I know they would be hard on fur.

Mark

waterdog likes this.
  10. yotehater

yotehater Silver $$ Contributor

Whatever caliber I suggest something lightweight. I started calling with a heavy Rem 700 VS in 6mm Rem. It was way too much gun for a calling rifle. Most pelts were destroyed beyond sewing. I used the 223 a lot then fell in love with the .17 Rem in a sporter weight classic model. It is so much more fun watching that lazer beam of death exact its toll.

WyleWD and okie like this.
  11. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

yeah, what he said. hard to swing a fence post!!

yotehater and WyleWD like this.
  12. Sitsntree

Sitsntree

I use a rem 700 adl 22-250 with a Burris 4-14 scope.I load 40gr of h414 55gr BT.Its light and easy to handle and carry.It kills 25 to 30 coyotes a year from 10yds to 500yds.

Mark W likes this.
  13. Barlow

Barlow

I use my Marlin X7 6 dasher with 87gr vmax's the most. Also use a 220 Swift and 257AI. Of your choices, I would pick the 22-250 and run 50-55 gr bullets as hard as you can. Barlow

14. LR coyote

LR coyote

First a lot depends on how well u shoot as to them running off. A 22-250 in the day time out to 400 is all u will ever need. When i call them in i always try to stop them out between 100 and 200yds and i never have a problem with the 55 grain nosler ballistic tip at 3700 feet per second out of a 1-12 Bartlett Barrel.All you have to do is hit that magic area about 4 inches up and 3 inches behind his front leg. At night i use a home built AR 223 with wilson combat ss bull barrel 1-10-- 55 grain nosler BT. It has a generation 3 night scope. This gun will shoot a beer can at 250 yds from a rest when u can't see your hand in front of your face.I killed two last week with it, both were hit in the correct place and they ran about 40 yds fell over dead, a hole u could hardly find on entrance and a pencil sized on exit. One was about 160yds the other 120.I skin them if they are prime. Some times i tear them up, if they are to close are when i hit the shoulder bone dead nuts are miss and hit the back bone.I was going to send a pic but it says pic is to large will have to figure this out.The reason i don't use a 204 is i go to alberta a lot and watched several nice yotes run off my buddy shot, Don't get me wrong he killed right many with it also. He decided to go to the 22-250 this year.Hell every body has their favorite this is just mine.

Frostbite likes this.
  15. Huntschool

Huntschool Silver $$ Contributor

Interesting reply's......

I am using a 17 Fur Ball (1:9) on light wind days or where wind is not a factor shooting out to 250 or so with 25 gr HP stuff at about 3750 or so. If the wind is up a bit I go to the 6MM BR (1:10) shooting 75 gr V-Max at between 31 to 3200 fps. Just added a 22 PPC (1:12) for the wife (and me) shooting 50 gr Combined Technology molly at about 3500.

All of these produce DRT if we hold our shots right.

We are shooting with a lot of deep woods around fields so shots are usually 250 and in. All these loads perform quite well at these ranges. I know the BR can stretch out and sometimes I wish I had a faster twist barrel so I could shoot the heavier bullets but when those situations arise I go to the 6.5 Creedmoor or the .270. They can get the job done. It can be messy....... This is with the 270.... 140 gr BTSP Hornady at about 120 yds.

[​IMG]

I really think one needs to decide on what their shooting requirements are based on cover and distance and then build or buy a rifle/scope to match those needs.

That being said.... 223 for shooting inside 300 with the right loads and saving fur..... and 243 if you have no worries about fur (I done save it) and just want to put them on the ground DRT at any range. Bullet selection is critical with either based on your desired outcome.

Just my thoughts

Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
    Shotgun Team Coach
    Southeastern Illinois College
    SCTP Collegiate Coaches Chairman
    NSCA Level III

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    yotehater likes this.
  16. yotehater

yotehater Silver $$ Contributor

Just needs a little sewing. :)

17. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

I hunt coyotes all winter. i don't use a bolt gun. I use an AR15 in 223. I also use an EOTECH sight..

pacificman likes this.
  18. 2dogs

2dogs

Down here in S. Texas we don't keep the hides so pelt preservation isn't a concern. I have shot lots of them with a 7 Mag. The only one that ever ran off was one so far out I shot under him a bit and blew a leg off him. You can't believe how far a 3 legged coyote can run and we had to chase that poor guy till we got him. Still when specifically out calling coyotes I have had really good success with a 22-250 with a 40 grain NBT at 4150 fps. Later I built one with a 1/9 barrel that did really well with the 69 SMK. That bullet driven beyond 223 velocity becomes a credible killer. My current favorite is a 6mm BR 1/14 twist with 55 NBTs at 3850 fps. I also just built a 22-250 AI set up to run that 69 SMK from a 1/10 twist barrel with enough speed to really reach out there and slap them. So, build something and get out there! I have also done the 22 BR and the Swift and the Clark and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

19. NCVarhtr

NCVarhtr

Mark,
    My dedicated coyote call rifle is a .223 AI using the 40 Gr NBT around 3900 fps or the 53 Gr V-Max around 3600 FPS. The barrel is a #4 Brux 22" long. It depends on where I'm hunting at the time as to which bullet I use. The 53 GR V-Max is an awesome bullet.

20. Huntschool

Huntschool Silver $$ Contributor

TwoDogs:

Are you in the Valley???? Or just south of 1604 ???