Could you chamber a typical 30" 1.25" barrel on this lathe?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by WVHick, Dec 28, 2017.

1. WVHick

WVHick

2. jfseaman

jfseaman Silver $$ Contributor

3. Will Henry

Will Henry

Yes. This is, in fact a pretty good lathe and looks to be in good shape for it's age. WH

4. WVHick

WVHick

Good deal. I'm gonna drag my machinist buddy with me to look at it soon. Thanks for the help!

5. ridgeway

ridgeway Silver $$ Contributor

Oh yeah...that is a super good deal and a superb lathe! Very nice...parts are scarce for them though...

6. WVHick

WVHick

I hope you're right! I want to learn and I have a good friend to help me out. Hopefully he thinks it's in good shape when we go look at it.

7. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Gold $$ Contributor

Nice find !
    Great price
    Should do all you need it to

8. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

At that price.... better act fast !.!.!
    Just saying :eek:
    Donovan

9. hpshooter

hpshooter

You may have trouble finding chucks and face plates for the L series tapered spindle nose. The tooling is out there you just have to hunt for it. Be aware that the tapered spindle effectively adds to the length through the head stock as opposed to a D type spindle or a threaded spindle.

10. paperpuncher

paperpuncher Silver $$ Contributor

Check out the variable speed drive components carefully, these can be problematic. Its not the end of the world if there are issues but its good to know what your getting into up front. Looks pretty nice they are pretty good machines. I have a friend in Detroit he likes them alot and may be able to help out if you need some parts. PM me for his info if you need it. Measure the length thru the headstock so you can get an idea of the shortest barrel you can do

11. alintx

alintx

I have a 25/100 in perfect shape. Wouldn't trade it for any of the new import lathes! Great lathe and easy to operate. Would like the info to the guy that has parts, just in case! Would also like to have a good 3 jaw Chuck

12. clowdis

clowdis

I agree with those that say to cast a critical eye on the lathe before you buy it. If the ways or other critical components show a lot of wear you may get better accuracy out of a new Chinese lathe.....sad to say. If it's in good shape then it's a great buy at that price.

13. Toolbreaker

Toolbreaker Gold $$ Contributor

6MMsteve likes this.
  14. WVHick

WVHick

The lathe is now mine :) My buddy said everything looked good and it would serve me well so we brought it home. Now I need a VFD and some tooling to get up and going. I have a lot to learn...

Thanks for the help everyone and I’ll be in touch!

15. Bully

Bully Silver $$ Contributor

Post a pic. The link is dead.

16. akajun

akajun

Cdco has l-00 backplates for cheap,

hpshooter likes this.
  17. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I believe they are one of the better chambering lathes. Have a few buddies with them.

18. GNERGY

GNERGY Silver $$ Contributor

I have a Rockwell 14 inch that I use for everything. I don't swap chucks though, I use a Viper type fixture for all my barrel work. I like how I can change speeds with out stopping it. I use a Westinghouse Teco FM 50 VFD to run mine. I leave it at 60 Hz and use the variable speed on the lathe. You will like it.
    Tarey

19. WVHick

WVHick

Do you still the the forward/stop/reverse switch on the lathe? You just run straight from the VFD to the lathe? I was hoping it was that simple.

20. GNERGY

GNERGY Silver $$ Contributor

Yes, I turn on the VFD, ( they are off when not in use ) and just use the on off switch on the lathe, just that simple.
    Tarey