Could a 22x47L be as accurate as a 22 Dasher?

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Clancy, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Clancy

Clancy

I've flip flopped about a dozen times between these two choices.

While the rifle will just be used for coyote and steel, if I drop 5K on something I want it to be perfect.

I don't really want to fool with modifying AI magazines for the Dasher, but I certainly will if I'd be giving up accuracy going with the 22 Lapua.

Here's what I think....

The Lapua wouldn't require fireforming, and would work in unmodified magazines.

The Dasher is probably easier to tune, and definitely a better looking cartridge, which is worth a little to me for some strange reason.

I guess if I could have anything, it would be a 22x47 Improved, but I'd have to buy a reamer and I know I can't get dies for that one anywhere.....

Not interested in any other cartridges at this time.

Thanks for reading.

2. missed

missed

I have been planning on spinning up a 22x47l barrel. I currently have a 6x47L for PRS type matches. The people that I know that have them are very happy with them. I had a 22-250, the nice thing was loading factory brass, it sucked not getting more than 6 rounds in an AICS mag without it going stupid. Hopefully this winter I'll get mine going.

3. Tommie

Tommie Silver $$ Contributor

4. gstaylorg

gstaylorg Silver $$ Contributor

Powder column height will not be the same as in the Dasher case, but otherwise the 6.5-47 Lapua parent case ought to work very well with the .224 bullets.

5. Huckleberry75

Huckleberry75

I went 22 creedmoor, and can get 11 rounds in an AW mag....Lapua small primer brass, cci-450's, R26, 80.5gn Bergers =Magic

6. Clancy

Clancy

Thanks for the replies so far.

Huckleberry if I'm not mistaken yours is a Beanland in an EH3?

It's a very nice rifle, and I'm curious how it shoots consistently.

I'm just wanting something different and it seems the 22 CM is "too popular" to fit my wants.

7. Clancy

Clancy

I bought 500 of the 80.5s. I'll find a load with them and see what I think after a few coyotes. I'm hoping I don't get exits. I don't care about the hide I just like a bullet to dump all its energy in the target..... and it's less messy with one hole as well.

8. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

I know Jon Beanland has chamber a few 22x47Ls, he might be able to help you. I've been wanting to build one myself. I have a 6.5x47, a 6x47 and Alex Wheeler is getting ready to do a 25x47, it would fun to do a 22x47 and it would easy with my current dies set for the others.

Let us know what you choose to do. I'd be interested.

9. Clancy

Clancy

Nakneker,

Jon is my smith.

Also funny you mention the 25x47. I've got a Rem CDL 7-08 that isn't worth staking tomatoes, and it is going to become a 25x47 next summer! It's like a 25O Savage with Lapua brass.... how could it go wrong!

Jon said the 22x47 is a good cartridge, but I haven't got him to say it shoots like a Dasher so that concerns me somewhat.

Anybody else?

cotento likes this.
  10. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

Jon built four rifles for me a couple years ago. At the time he was building a 22x47L and when I asked him about it he had a sparkle in his eye, I didn't go into any detail though. I drove over to his shop just to meet him and talk about the four projects.

Have you asked his thoughts. He has given me solid advice in the past.

I agree with your thoughts on the 25x47L, 250 savage improved with Lapua brass.

txdan likes this.
  11. Clancy

Clancy

Basically he said they're both good cartridges, which we know. He seems to favor the Dasher, while admitting the fireforming and magazine mods are extra steps.

I'm thinking about finding a real nice quarter and flipping it....

nakneker likes this.
  12. skeetlee

skeetlee Lee Gardner Precision Silver $$ Contributor

A 22 dasher is the clear choice in my opinion. No magazine mods needed if you run a Bighorn TL3 action. I have both the 22 dasher and a 22 creedmoor reamer if anyone is thinking they would like to try one or the other. My quality is 100% guaranteed and my turn times are hard to beat!! My next reamer i think ill try a 22BR AI I think this will be the ticket!! Lee

17VLD likes this.
  13. Clancy

Clancy

Lee I just paid Ms. Wimmer on Friday for a TL3.

I'll take your word for it working without mods, but I don't think my OCD would let me take to the field without checking my magazine every 5 minutes!

By the way, you've done a great job on a couple of barreled actions for a friend of mine. I was planning on having you rebarrell that terrible Remington I mentioned above.

14. Bully

Bully Silver $$ Contributor

I am extremely interested in what you discover although by your last post it looks like you settled on the 22Dasher. I am considering several calibers for a rifle and the (to severely shorten the nomenclature) 22Lapua is one on the list. I have the brass and bullets and it would be a really nice compliment to my 6.5/47Lapua that I really kinda love. Good luck in your adventure.

15. Clancy

Clancy

I've really weighed it out, and decided on the 6.5x47 Lapua case.

I think if I give up anything it would require at least two decimal points to express it.

Beanland "22 Lapua" is a go...

Deciding factor for me was really the fireforming. I figure I won't have to "waste" 7-10 percent of my barrel life firing loads that don't really tell me much about the rifle. Now I understand the whole fireforming barrel thing.

FWIW, I like the idea of hydro forming cases, but given the expense of either the equipment or someone else's labor I could be well on my way to a new barrel for what the hydro forming costs.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    nakneker likes this.
  16. Bully

Bully Silver $$ Contributor

If you think of it and have the time, can you post your cases and what it took to make the brass, please? It seems like a fairly straight forward operation but first hand knowledge and a fresh perspective is always a good thing.

17. Clancy

Clancy

Bully, if you'll PM me an email or something I'll send you a picture of some formed cases. I have a few.

As for forming them, I'll lube up the 6.5 cases with Imperial, then run them through a 6x47 Lapua full length die WITHOUT the expander ball.

Then, I'll just size them with the 22x47 full length die.

I do not like nor recommend bushing dies. Donuts are for eating....

Grimstod and Bully like this.
  18. alf

alf Silver $$ Contributor

Just received my new no turn 22x47 Lapua reamer with freebore for 80 grain VLD's for a new coyote smacker. Had good luck this past year with 80's out of a 22-204 at 3025 on coyotes, so I expect mo better out of this case.

I sent a dummy to JGS to set the 80's "pressure ring" just above the neck/shoulder juncture, so with the longer neck, there should still be plenty of latitude to run 70-75's as well.

Also specified a 1.870" case length. Once you neck them down to 22, the case is already at 1.860", so I added another 10 thou so as not to need trimming right out of the gate.

villarreal likes this.
  19. Clancy

Clancy

Jon said his reamer is throated for the 80.5 seated to the bottom of the neck.

I like that because I can shoot 65 game kings or 60 v max when doing coyote tournaments if I'm not happy with the 80.5 terminal performance, which I'm skeptical of. When a coyote is potentially worth several thousand dollars, I like them to crumple in place, every single time.

Some of the ranches I hunt are so thick you wouldn't believe it, so it helps when they're still where they took the bullet.

20. skeetlee

skeetlee Lee Gardner Precision Silver $$ Contributor

Clancy
    If you send me your phone number ill take a short video of my TL3 feeding and extracting 6 dasher cases with no mods. Smooth as silk and extremely reliable. I have over 1000 rounds on mine with out a single mishap. I have conversion kits here in the shop but they simply are not needed. I think Jon is a big supporter of the Bighorn action as well. Tell jon his old friend Lee says hello. Thanks Lee

Skunce and sdbob like this.