Correct Pronunciation

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by swt5, Nov 29, 2011.

1. swt5

swt5 Site $$ Contributor

So I just figured out I've been saying OGIVE improperly for years. (oh-guy-v as opposed to oh-jive)
    I pronounce meplat as mee-platt but I've heard may-platt and mee-playte? Which is correct?

2. mytwo60

mytwo60

Correct Pronounciation

Dang. I hope you're not at work right now. ;D

3. swt5

swt5 Site $$ Contributor

Correct Pronounciation

How'd you guess? ;) You know how these things start, "Hey, I think you're saying that wrong?"

4. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Site $$ Contributor

Correct Pronounciation

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ogive
    http://www.mediadico.com/dictionnaire/lecture.asp/definition/m%C3%A9plat/parle
    Note: Meplat is evidently a French word, and that is the only on line pronunciation that I could find quickly.

5. fullersson

fullersson B&B Gunworks bbgunworks.com Site $$ Contributor

Correct Pronounciation

Correct pronunciation is relative to what part of the country you're in at the time. Brian Brown.

6. KevinThomas

KevinThomas

Correct Pronounciation

Actually, both words are French, with ogive (oh-jive) meaning "pointed arch." Meplat (mee-plah) refers to a flat, which describes the frontal portion of a bullet, with the dimension usually given in calibers.

There's a tremendous portion of the ballistic lexicon that is French in origin, since they are (or have traditionally been) some of the most innovative developers of in the field of firearms and ballistics. The term "Spitzer" is German, but even there, the French had developed the pointed bullet first, and merely kept it so secret that the Germans are generally (and incorrectly) given credit for its creation. Even the G series of drag models (G1, G5, G7, etc.) were named as an homage to the Gavre Commission, one of the earliest studies of the drag characteristics of various bullet shapes. Long list of other French terms in this field, if you just stop to think about it a bit.

7. watercam

watercam Site $$ Contributor

Correct Pronounciation

Kevin, how about filling us in on the correct pronunciation of 'Lapua'. On their web site videos that are in English it sounds like 'lop-wa' to me.
    Mike T.

8. STP

STP

Correct Pronounciation

Lop-wa is correct.

The one that makes my teeth itch is when someone refers to bullets as "heads"....or "tips". :eek:

Scott

9. fastergun

fastergun

Correct Pronounciation

The one that makes me consider the person uttering the word an imbecile is boo lits

10. mr45man

mr45man Site $$ Contributor

Correct Pronounciation

In German it's Boolitz LOL
    Johann H

11. placek59

placek59 Site $$ Contributor

Correct Pronounciation

I have always heard "boolits" in reference to cast bullets and some muzzleloading... It bugs me when folks refer to bullets at trap shooting...

12. swt5

swt5 Site $$ Contributor

Correct Pronounciation

Thanks for all the help Gentlemen! Now if I can just get my boss to stop saying irregardless ::)

13. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Site $$ Contributor

Correct Pronounciation

Stp,I am with you on heads and tips which in reality are archery terms.

14. Robert

Robert

Correct Pronounciation

Kevin,

Thats real erudition
    A friend of mine often says 'English is only badly pronunciated old french' LOL..

For the anecdoteabout your comment; it could also have been added that US WW2 artillery, 155 'Long Toms' and 105mm evolved from WW1 french who impressed Gen. Pershing that much.

R.G.C

15. PREMOD70

PREMOD70

Correct Pronounciation

In my neck of the woods we say if you want it pronouced that way spell it that way but like most folks it's hard to stay in the woods and once out us Hillbillies are easy prey for the grammar nazis.

16. NateHaler

NateHaler Site $$ Contributor

Correct Pronounciation

Are you a stickler for spelling as much as you seem to be for proper pronunciation (the correct spelling)?

17. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Site $$ Contributor

Correct Pronounciation

Foreign words that have adopted into the English language, and which are widely (in English speaking countries) pronounced differently than in their country of origin, as said to have been anglicized. Often the difference in pronunciation reflects a difference in the rules as to how a given combination of letters are pronounced.

As far as someone being a "spelling Nazi" goes, I think that it is generally understood that misspelling and mispronouncing words, in ways that do not reflect the customs in a relatively large area, create the impression of ignorance, which most try to avoid. On the other hand, correcting someone who has not asked for guidance is often perceived as condescension, which no one likes. I come from a family of school teachers, where attention to these sort of details was expected, and mistakes corrected. Unfortunately, not all of it stuck, which makes me really grateful for spell check and the internet.

Personally, when I listen to someone, or read what they have written, I try to get past any mistakes or differences so that I can understand what they are trying to convey, because I have learned that there may not be any relationship between how correctly a thought is expressed and how worthwhile it is.

18. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Site $$ Contributor

Correct Pronounciation

One thing is for sure. If you spend 25% of your life being the authority, on all things, on this and several other websites, you are going to open yourself up to the scrutiny of all the readers.

19. SongdogHunter

SongdogHunter

Correct Pronounciation

How about Sako, lapua, Luepold?

SDH

20. SongdogHunter

SongdogHunter

Correct Pronounciation

AGREED !!!

SDH