Converting standard dies to bushing dies

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by JLDavid, Dec 14, 2018.

1. JLDavid

JLDavid GO BEAVS!! Silver $$ Contributor

I have searched the forums but can't seem to find the thread that talks about converting standard reloading dies to bushing dies. Can anyone help me out with this and provide contact info to someone who does this? Thanks and have a great weekend.

David

2. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

Wondering if it is worth the trouble.

Don likes this.
  3. JohnHenry

JohnHenry

4. Just Dave

Just Dave Gold $$ Contributor

JLC, as the article states.. Very reasonable, and timely !

5. JLDavid

Thanks. I just emailed him. I cannot find a bushing die for 300 RCM. I may give him a call to follow up. How long ago did he do dies for you Just Dave? Price?

David

6. PA Jeep

PA Jeep Gold $$ Contributor

I don't think Jim does this work anymore. I've had a few dies converted by JLC, top notch work. I'm now using Whidden's click adjust dies for all my off the wall calibers, also top notch.

Don likes this.
  7. Barlow

Barlow Silver $$ Contributor

I have a couple bushing dies I'd like to convert to standard dies. Barlow

joshb likes this.
  8. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

You can get a Forster full length die and Forster will hone the neck for $12.00

https://www.forsterproducts.com/resources/custom-machining-service/

CUSTOM NECK HONING OF FORSTER FULL LENGTH SIZING or NECK SIZING DIE
    We custom hone the inside neck diameter by using a diamond stoning process. We enlarge the inside diameter to your specification to prevent over-sizing of the case neck due to thick neck walls. You may require this service for multiple reasons: 1) If you use some brands of brass cases which have thicker neck walls. 2) If you do not intend to outside neck turn case necks that have thickened after repeated firings. Please specify desired inside neck diameter. Note: 1) No more than .008″ stock removal from your existing die neck diameter is possible. 2) Honing is done in increments of one half thousandth of an inch (.0005″), meaning that your specified inside diameter must be either.XXX0″ or .XXX5″.
    $12.00 plus actual return shipping cost & insurance Please allow 1-3 weeks.

FL Bushing Dies vs. Honed FL Dies
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/reloading/fl-bushing-dies-vs-honed-fl-dies/

9. Just Dave

Just Dave Gold $$ Contributor

I just had him convert 2 dies, I forget how much it was,, maybe $45 per die ? ,, It was just last summer ,, I hope he's still doing it.

10. JLDavid

Just talked to him on the phone. He still does this. Now I need a Redding 300 RCM fl sizing die. Anyone have one to sell?

11. PA Jeep

PA Jeep Gold $$ Contributor

Great news that JLC still converts dies. :)

12. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Id think youd be far ahead to just get a whidden fl bushing die. Jlc does nice work though. I have a few of his excellent seating dies and some bushing conversions

LA50SHOOTER and muleystalker like this.
  13. JLDavid

It might be but 300RCM is not listed in the dies available. JLC is about my only option that I can find. I need a bushing die for necking down the RCM case.

14. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I guess you havent called them. They offer them they maybe just dont have it listed due to popularity

15. Ringostar

Ringostar

Have you checked with Hornady? They’ve been making bushing dies for a few years now. I would think that they might offer it for one of their own cartridges.

16. RW

RW Gold $$ Contributor

I have had JLC do several dies for me he is great to work with and one reason to have him do the conversion is that redding is not always the best die to resize to case body!!

17. muleystalker

muleystalker

Whidden does custom bushing dies for 119.00 I believe, you send him 3 pieces of fired brass ore send him the reamer print. You can get the new adjustable click die for a little more. Its on their site under custom dies.

18. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

I have had Whidden make a couple of dies from the reamer print and they have been excellent. From a cost standpoint, it may be cheaper for Whidden to do the work. When you add the cost of a new RCM die + $45 for the conversion and shipping, you are there. Whidden lead time is about 8 weeks.

snakepit likes this.
  19. Ken

Ken Gold $$ Contributor