Conning the Con....

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by walker2713, Sep 15, 2018.

1. walker2713

walker2713 Gold $$ Contributor

I've got a rifle for sale here on the forum, as well as at Armslist. I've had some good results there, but frequently am approached by villains who want something besides a straight forward transaction.

My purpose is more curiosity than anything else, along with a healthy load of jerking the crooks around. Being retired has its advantages.

Normally I push them off with Go Away--Don't Waste My Time message, but I decided to play along with this one just to see where he's going with it.

One of my reasons for using Armslist is that one can often find a buyer within the state or even my local area, which avoids the hassle of shipping, FFL and all that mess. My ads show "no shipping" so when these characters show up with their propositions: I want the gun so much that I'll pay whatever shipping is involved....I really, really want that gun.

So I told AH that shipping would be $50, plus cost of the rifle ($700) and here's his response.

Good to have your payment info, i want you to know, there will be extra funds on the cashier check as it is my pay check mailed directly to you as i want this gun very much and want no delay in getting it, Upon the clearance kindly deduct the agreed price + shipping and extra $10 for securing the gun for me after which i will make arrangement on how you will get the extra funds to my FFL agent that will receive the purchase for me, Can you please deactivate your post from Armslist? Just consider it sold as i push the payment asap!, i'll get back to you again with the tracking details for you to know when and time to receive the check... Thanks

At one point in the message, it's a cashier check, and it's also his paycheck. Mmmmmm.....

My guess is that he wants me to deposit his "cashiers" check in my account, send some "excess" over the $750 to another party (him)....his check bounces and he's got my money and I've got jack squat!

Anyone else encounter these kinds of shenanigans?

Best,

George

2. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow

Oh sure, you get ethnic and call it a shenanigan.
    In French it's an escroquerie. You are in Louisiana after all.

Edit. I've not encountered skallie wags such that you have....yet.

damoncali likes this.
  3. walker2713

walker2713 Gold $$ Contributor

I don't mind getting "ethic" under the right circumstances....but since you raised the issue, I find no ethnic origins or links to the word whatsoever. First known use was in 1855 in a SF newspaper.

Anyhow.....what about "monkey business?" o_O

George

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    mikeinct, dickn52 and painter like this.
  4. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

I've no knowledge of an ethnic reference in 'shenanigan'. I'd like to know if there is one. Care to cite a reference?

5. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, common actually and you hit it right on the head.

6. dickn52

Irish.....

7. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow

I've seen so many pubs and Irish establishments named Shenanigan's that I figured it was an Irish theme. No?

8. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

I had a similar thing happen when trying to sell a biodiesel plant. I guy in Texas wanted to send me extra money for shipping, which I would then use to pay the contractor who picked it up (the ad stated I would not ship). I checked with a friend at the local PD and he said they try to time it so that you have paid good money for the shipping only to find out the original check is bad - so you lose.

Sooo. I told the guy in Texas that would be fine and I gave him the address of the local sheriff's department. I felt real good and never heard from him again.

gambleone likes this.
  9. Someoldguy

My Google search came back with 'Origin : unknown'. Hence, my inquiry. Is there a reference you are familiar of?

10. old leghumper

old leghumper Silver $$ Contributor

I have had the same replys with the exact same wording on an armslist ad. Told them to go away.

Two days later I received the exact same reply to the ad from a different sender. The Nigerians must be bored!

dogdude likes this.
  11. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

I once won $10 zillion dollars all I had to do was send my banking info for deposit!!! To some yo yo in Bangkok
    And another time I was contacted by the widow of the late Dr BomBay needing help transferring funds with something in it for me. :)

pirate ammo likes this.
  12. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

I had a guy trying to give me an extra $50k on a bassboat one time. Whatever it costs to ship it just deduct that and send him a check for the balance

SPJ likes this.
  13. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

It’s the classic “pigeon drop” scam

SPJ likes this.
  14. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

Happens on Craig's list all the time.

15. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

it's called the shaft,,

walker2713 and SPJ like this.
  16. dickn52

You win...San Francisco most likely....
    Did You Know?
    The history of shenanigan is as tricky and mischievous as its meaning. Etymologists have some theories about its origins, but no one has been able to prove them. All we can say for certain is that the earliest known use of the word in print appeared in the April 25, 1855, issue of San Francisco's Town Talk. Although the "underhanded trick" sense of the word is oldest, the most common senses in use now are "tricky or questionable practices" (as in "political shenanigans") and "high-spirited behavior" (as in "youthful shenanigans").

17. Someoldguy

It isn't about who is right or wrong for me, I was simply trying to determine if I was unaware of the word's origin. I'm an old man. I grew up during a different time, with a different way of thinking. There are many words that still occur to me that I no longer utter. I thought it possible that yet another might need to be added to that list. I'm happy that such is not the case.

Shenanigans is just fun to say, don't you think?

mikeinct likes this.
  18. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Ill say shenanigans with you. And ill say monkey around. Im sick of every word i say becoming racist.

19. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

racist,,is that a real word anymore,,now back to messing with the ripoff idiots, one of my favorite things to do,,I completely mess with the FAKE IRS people,,:oops:

'Freak and mikeinct like this.
  20. Someoldguy

Indeed. But if you need a job these days, it's necessary to self-sensor or do as I do and say as little as possible.

If they only knew my thoughts . . . .

My apologies to the OP for the thread drift.