1. nativecat01

nativecat01

I guess I need a little bit of education on scopes. It has always been that the power rating, like 6.5x20, and the diameter like 50mm. Now I am seeing a lot of scopes from 10-50 power. Sounds like mounting a telescope on your rifle. Doesn't heat waves have a big effect with that type of magnification?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  2. Greyfox

Greyfox Gold $$ Contributor

Mirage has an effect on anything from 36X upwards. Probably on the rest as well just not as noticeable. I use a mirage shield on all my bench rifles. This deflects the heat from the barrels so as to not be a problem. On Sunny days with light winds 200 + yards can get pretty thick. That being said I rarely (maybe once or twice a season) reduce power on any of my scopes (10x60, 15x55). It's just something you learn to deal with. Personally, I'll take more power every time. My old eyes are just not enough for 36X anymore.

Rick

3. johara1

johara1

Mirage is there regardless, even with iron sights. you deal with it ....... Jim

4. sfldiver

sfldiver Silver $$ Contributor

I shoot a 10-50X60 riflescope at 600 yards in South Florida. Yes, the mirage can be quite a challenge. However, with the variable scope magnification, I have the option of dialing down the scope's magnification until the effect the heat waves have on the image becomes manageable. But as previously mentioned, I do try to keep my riflescope's magnification as high as possible at all times.

5. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Silver $$ Contributor

nativecat01....don't be confused. Old saying..."You can't hit what you can't see." Some us us have aged to the point where our eyesight isn't what it once was. And with the advent of quality scopes with high magnification, they enable us to see our targets better and to keep shooting. Ah the wonders of aging.....

Alex

300_whisper and pacificman like this.
  6. nativecat01

nativecat01

Thank you all for the information. It was very helpful. I went out today and looked at a few of a scopes. I ended up buying the Nightforce Atac 5x25 56mm. I can see anything I want to see out to 1k yards with this scope.

300_whisper, Zero333 and dkhunt14 like this.