coned action and a unconed barrel?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by 6xcshooter, Jan 12, 2018.

1. 6xcshooter

6xcshooter

Can an unconed ( Regular chambered) barrel be installed with a coned bolt action?

2. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Need more specifics, lIke what action aND what barrel tenon details.. May I ask why you'd want to do it that way?

3. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

Look, I have taken my post down, not because I think that it was incorrect, but because I am against the idea of such a mismatch on the grounds that it might be attempted by someone who did not realize that there is a difference between headspace and the gap between the bolt and the barrel, and that the amount of unsupported case at the back of a chamber has to be properly calculated and verified. I have the pieces of a fellows Savage 110 that came apart. The barrel launched down range, and the so called gas block was never found, as it came off of the bolt. The only reason that he was not seriously injured was that he had his non trigger hand on the rear sand bag, and was wearing glasses. The stock was blown in two. Another friend had a case failure in a Springfield and his whole face was covered with small cuts from brass. If he had not been wearing glasses some of it would have probably injured his eyes. You could see where the lenses covered his face. The few separations that I have experienced, a long time ago, did not cause catastrophic release of gas or lock up the action. They were in Remington actions. I knew a lot less then about reloading than I do now.

hogpatrol and butchlambert like this.
  4. Will Henry

Will Henry

I have used flat breeched barrels with coned bolts numerous times and can see absolutely no problem with it except for possible feeding issues. I've done this in Hall, Wichita, and Bat actions. As long as the front of the bolt nose is within .005" of the flat breech end of the barrel, gas sealing will be as good as if the barrel was coned. There is always a significant flat at the front of the bolt. WH

butchlambert likes this.
  5. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

well ok ive taken mine down to. i wouldnt do what the OP has proposed for myself and ill leave it at that. i have experienced gas blowback and im not eager for a repeat engagement.

6. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

I didn't see the removed posts. I read this and decided to see what others said.

I'm thinking it was along the line of "Sure you can make it work, but I wouldn't do it".

Every design needs to manage the gases from a casing failure. A coned bolt has a wide tight clearance the gases must pass through. Remington has 3 rings of steel and tight clearances (which some people don't keep tight to accomodate M16 extractors or similar). A regular barrel and a coned bolt wouldn't have either.

Make them match.

--Jerry

7. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor