Concrete shooting bench top

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by perazziguy, Oct 10, 2019.

1. D Coots

D Coots Silver $$ Contributor

I'm glad
    I'm glad you like that style. To each their own.

Do you shoot registered matches?

2. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

... I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last nite.

3. D Coots

I used to. But since I started competiting I stay at the Super 8.

Due to a yes or no answer, I'm thinking you don't compete. That's a totally different game and comparing grapes to basketballs.

4. garandman

Speaking of comparing monkey wrenches to bowling balls, Participation in registered matches has similar correlation to one's ability to evaluate their personal preference in shooting benches.

Yes, I compete regularly. On concrete benches of the type Ive described as disliking, for reasons Ive aready stated. That participation has nothing to do with anything as far as this discussion. I usually place in the top 3. But thats irrelevant too.

Competing in registered matches similarly has nothing at all to do with a person's ability to determine what calibers they prefer or knowing what constitutes an accurate rifle.

That's why I decided to cite my credentials of staying at a Holiday Inn express last night.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  5. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

6. D Coots

I wasn't questioning anything about calibers, ect., was just asking if you are competing in registered matches. There is a big difference as to where a person's experiences come from. Mine changed drastically when I went from shooting/tuning PD rifles and got into registered matches. I may have missed your point, but I don't believe you answered my question about your competiting in registered matches.

7. garandman

Read my post again.

8. D Coots

I did before I posted.

You said you compete regularly. Nothing said about you competiting in registered matches. There is a big difference.

9. garandman

Not playing your reindeer games, Rudolph.

And Im not seeking your approval for what type of shooting bench I prefer.

10. cem

cem

Our range has T-topped benches with filled and rebarred concrete block pillars on a concrete firing line. Nothing special in the shape and size. Locally fabbed steel seats patterned after piano stools

Looking at the variety of feet available for rests I can agree with the utility of wood tops but will cheerfully do without to avoid the maintenance issues in snow country. I suspect but do not know that with long sharp points on bipods and rests wooden tops would suffer in spots just as the center of the backer boards goes away. Then too it hasn't happened but I worry about vandalism.

The tops are flat, and very nicely floated by amateur volunteer labor and I wonder if a 1/4" of slope for drainage would be better than the flat and level we have?

11. D Coots

No problem. Not talking about a bench.

That's a no then, you don't compete in registered matches. You base your opinion on different values than a person that competes in a registered match does. That's not a problem. People need to represent themselves for what they actually are. We all do what we want. Some folks are even open about those things instead of skirting the issue.

12. garandman

Im 100% confident in my abilities to prefer a particular type of bench. 1000s of rounds down range, in and out of match competition. Registration of a match has *nothing* to do with anything.

Im done with this singularly ridiculous discussion. Knock yourself out if you insist on keeping it going.

13. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

I have to make our range benchs fit me.

Attached Files:

garandman and McGraw like this.
  14. McFred

McFred

I don't remember the exact dimensions but it's roughly 40" square with 25% missing off a corner, about 4" thick on three 6" concrete sonotubes.

If you're making your own, I'd go out of my way to make the top smooth and to bull-nose the edges around the top. There's a little rebar in there too for good measure.

I didn't want to bump my knees on a leg and did not want to straddle anything. I didn't want the seat connected to the table either. I wanted it long enough for my longest gun with a bipod/rear bag or elaborate front rest with room for stuff off to the left and to the right for ammo caddy and/or boxes and my elbow of course.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I built this on private property for my old man who doesn't get around as well as he used to. I don't shoot "Registered Matches," I don't stay at Holiday Inn, I typically shoot off bipods and play in the dirt like I did when I was 3 years old. The same age some of you SoBs are acting.

Perazziguy's asking about concrete benches. So shut up about anything else.

dogdude, Bc'z, jimmymac and 4 others like this.
  15. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

^^^^ That's one of those prejudice benches.... :eek:

Scalloper, D Coots and Dusty Stevens like this.
  16. garandman

Okey dokey. :)

17. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

that's how I built mine angled on the sides 46in wide 48 deep 30in in back..plenty of room

perazziguy and dmoran like this.
  18. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Lefty bench

19. daleboy

daleboy Gold $$ Contributor

LIAR...you will be back...you can't help yourself. You win Troll of the year already...and you only came on strong starting in August when that other forum finally banned you . Sad specimen...

dogdude likes this.
  20. garandman