Concrete shooting bench top

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by perazziguy, Oct 10, 2019.

1. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

There you go Nick.
    I've done the same thing, not knowing specific phrases or nouns, that at face value, have a very different meaning than the discipline specific use. Always something to learn.
    The polite exchanges while working through it were a credit. Kudos.

garandman likes this.
  2. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

Had an idea.
    For loading bipod practice off a bench, go with surface of choice ( OSB, plywood, carpeted plywood) with a *2x2 or 2x4 or.....screwed to bottom rear cross ways, place on bench top with the *down, keeping the board from scooting. ?

garandman likes this.
  3. Rich S

Rich S

C clamp a board across the bench. You can get as much preload as you want. Ive seen several folks do that or use a matt on the bench.

Mark W, Rtheurer, garandman and 2 others like this.
  4. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

Wood makes a fantastic top for a shooting bench - if it's glued onto a thick slab of concrete.
    -

D Coots and garandman like this.
  5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Wood is only suitable on a shooting bench if its a 2x4 clamped on the front edge to either load a bipod or stop a railgun. Any other time it should be kept away

DT, D Coots, DBLNUT and 5 others like this.
  6. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

Thats all Im saying. Wood is best and concrete is problematic... in certain instances.

Clamping a 2 by 4 across the concrete bench top would work well… except when you forget to bring it to the range.

Carry on.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  7. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

When is concrete problematic ? Have you ever shot from a concrete bench ?

8. garandman

I im' d you. Since you basically called me a liar in the rimfire forum on how my Lilja 457 groups, Im not gonna waste my time responding to any more of your posts. Have a great life.

9. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve only seen one vote against concrete bench tops and we know who that is. I don’t know if there are other F-Class shooters in our midst but if there are, I’ve not heard their opinions. If I was an F-Class shooter and had the urge to load my Bi-Pod, I’d form a curb into the mold when casting the top. My concrete benches became reality only after I’d shot numerous matches on numerous benches on numerous clubs. The shape of my benches came about only after I had formed an opinion of what I wanted in a bench. I also thought F-Class is shot from the ground and not from a bench, but what do I know?

Bc'z, McGraw, D Coots and 2 others like this.
  10. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

Thank you for generously giving out the dimensions of the shooting bench top. Just as you mention above, you came up the best idea after shooting on many benches through the years. This Site is the best, with the best people!

perazziguy likes this.
  11. ericbc7

ericbc7

I love concrete as a material for shooting benches, but I hate the “T” shaped benches. Make a form with a “horseshoe” shaped bench and all shooters (both right and left handed ) will secretly praise and maybe overtly congratulate you.

Bill K and perazziguy like this.
  12. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

Manatee has nice concrete benches.

13. daleboy

This looks pretty handy , kinda horseshoe shaped .

[​IMG]

14. D Coots

D Coots Silver $$ Contributor

Ever notice where the brass goes? Ever shoot a rail gun on one? Your rear bag needs to be right on or overhanging the edge. If you're not scrawny you have no room.

Worst bench design ever.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    dogdude, Uthink Uknow and sdean like this.
  15. perazziguy

perazziguy

Well, good news is the utilities marked my dig site and it is clear. Bad news is running out of decent weather here in east central Illinois. I can use this winter to work on bench tops

16. daleboy

I guess you set me straight.

17. ridgeway

ridgeway Silver $$ Contributor

About 10 bags of Sackrete... 1571263860-picsay.jpg

Scalloper, mikeinct, dogdude and 4 others like this.
  18. D Coots

D Coots Silver $$ Contributor

Daleboy

I don't post to set people straight. I try to post my experiences as I see them. I started shooting from a concrete bench 30 years ago. I've shot competitive for 19 years all over the USA and have shot in a couple of other countries. I've never shot from a decent wooden bench or a U bench that I cared for. The only u bench I have competed on is at a BR range in Minnesota. I'll shoot on it again because I support benchrest, but the bench is still low on my list. Everyone can make their own decisions. I'll post some pics of a typical top they use at the St Louis benchrest range soon.

19. daleboy

I understand, I had never shot from one like I posted. I thought it looked handy,but I agree with you... probably not so great after all.

D Coots likes this.
  20. garandman

A concrete based wood topped u-shaped bench is by far the best bench Ive ever shot from. Rock solid and great for bipods and all other shooting disciplines.

Unlike the one pictured above, it was designed wide enuf to hold everything and retain spent rounds.

Its a pure preference thing. I prefer that bench above all others Ive ever seen or used.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019