Concrete shooting bench top

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by perazziguy, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

The benches back of my house are 4 inch concrete on 4x4 steel legs. They stand 36 inches tall and measure 36 inches wide for 28 inches and then taper to 12 inches with a total length of 51 inches. We can shoot 300 yards here. No one, no body has ever said these benches suck and they are never coming back to shoot for free. 619381C4-21B4-42B7-BCA0-012955235958.jpeg C8C7E8CA-5CE1-49EF-A259-A56A1B30C633.jpeg

Rich S, riverwolf1, foxguy and 17 others like this.
  2. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

0 in lp

I like this idea. Gives you the best of both worlds. Concrete is basically weatherproof and the wood top will give you Additional functionality. just keep the plywood top out of the weather. The pattern you cut out of ply wood to Shape the concrete forms would double as this wood top.

3. SPJ

SPJ Whoops !! Gold $$ Contributor

Yep

4. daleboy

daleboy Gold $$ Contributor

@
    Sweet benches, shooting from something like that you know it is never the bench's fault . A good foundation for accuracy/testing is a proper bench...you surely have that covered. Beautiful range you have there.

5. jobhopper66

jobhopper66 Gold $$ Contributor

In a funny way I kind of hate a guy that has that nice of a setup at home. LOL!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    dgeesaman, jpx2rk and daleboy like this.
  6. mr.big

mr.big

Momma redid the sidewalks at Grannies and I took a piece of that old sidewalk poured in 1961 and cut it with a concrete saw...it works pretty well.

20191010_154059.jpg

joshb, pauls, riverwolf1 and 5 others like this.
  7. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

Where's your crescent wrench and vice grips at, those shell casings don't look right.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

KMart likes this.
  8. mr.big

mr.big

I shot my 22s yesterday..and yea there's all kinds of tools there close...makes a good place to sharpen my chainsaw too..lol

9. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

Ours are concrete and our stools are 3 legged and cabled to the rear post so you can move them from right to left. Left handed shooters, shoot in their Right mind.

10. RED 7

RED 7

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg Maybe this will Help.

perazziguy, Dave Sog, shb and 5 others like this.
  11. mr.big

mr.big

12. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

If the concrete top will be exposed to the elements be sure to use a quality (aka: expensive) sealer. Otherwise, spalling can ruin the surface.

garandman and JimSC like this.
  13. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

I bought some Rugged Buddy sawhorse legs and made a portable. I went through 4 or 5 tops cutting and adjusting. Tweaking alittle until it fit my rig perfect. Plywood is cheep and cuts easy, concrete don't! Make a portable until you get exactly what you want before you set in stone. Mike ps, an adjustable drummers stool works great to.

Attached Files:

LAH and garandman like this.
  14. perazziguy

perazziguy

Thanks Mike, I made a portable one with a folding sawhorse, it would work ok in the field. It moves too much when you shift around. I was trying to do a seat depth test and found out I was wasting bullets. Jonathan

15. ebb

ebb

I like Red 7s mold. I built one 8 or 10 years ago out of versatex, and made legs by splitting a piece of 8 inch PV pipe and making a mold for the legs. I used fiberglass rebar in the legs and drilled and epoxied the rebar and legs to the slab below and the top. We ended up making about 30 of them for the shooting club where my boss lived. I nailed a chamfer strip around the edge of my mold so your arms would not rub on the square rough edge of the concrete top. Red 7s looks like his mold has a radius around the edges which is even better.

16. ckaberna

ckaberna Gold $$ Contributor

These are the ticket, can you ship two of these to Georgia? LoL

17. Hydenseek

Hydenseek Silver $$ Contributor

18. Hydenseek

Hydenseek Silver $$ Contributor

A14A8AFC-3ADD-474F-B667-DD0F2E3C0BFB.jpeg
    Top is 5 1/2” thick 32” from the ground.

Light poles 4’ in ground and disturbed area filled with concrete.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  19. Rich S

Rich S

If you make a permanent bench, consider adding extra space to set gear, shoot pistols etc... We added an extension to connect the front of our benches. We also made the top and legs in one continuous pour to save build time
    . Bench.jpg

joshb, dgeesaman, boltfluter and 12 others like this.
  20. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

If that was my set up, I think I’d wet the surface down, throw some raw cement over the top then make a slurry of cement and sand, and spread it over the surface and edges of Grandma’s sidewalk. The raw cement acts as a bonding agent or you can buy some bonding agent but the cement alone works well. Then the topping. It’s also not a bad idea to paint on a little water repellant from time to time.