Component Scarcity: Where's the Varget

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by IllKeepMine, Jun 14, 2013.

1. IllKeepMine

IllKeepMine

I have been looking to Varget reloading powder for several months. The local shops have mostly bare shelves. The might have some Clays but that is about all. I also check the following online distributors daily.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com
    http://www.sinclairintl.com
    http://www.powdervalleyinc.com
    http://www.brownells.com
    http://www.grafs.com

I have seen no Varget. Does anyone know of a supply either online or near Marietta, Ga? Do you know what Hodgdon's production levels are? Are they even bothering to produce this powder?

BTW, I am not looking to get bent over a barrel. The government does that enough already. :mad:

2. jo191145

jo191145 Site $$ Contributor

Demand for everything is so high your online distributors will not bother posting an "in stock" status. Its sold to backorders before it gets in the door.
    Backorder it from multiple sites. Buy it from whomever gets it first. The distributors won't care if you back out of an order. Theres a thousand people behind you. Good Luck.

3. milo-2

milo-2 Site $$ Contributor

Powder Valley went through over 800lbs on Tuesday, gone in 4 hours.

Sorry, It was 3rd Generation! Not PV.

4. DRNewcomb

DRNewcomb

I would imagine that since all the ammo has been cleaned off the shelves, a lot of folks decided to dust off their reloading equipment, or they could just be engaged in some "stockpiling" on the assumption that either the government will ban everything or maybe zombies will take over and the few remaining humans will have to fend for themselves. (Hey! It could happen.) Anyway, a powder that's as flexible as Varget is in very high demand. Like all the .257 Roberts and 35 Whelen I see in plentiful supply, there's no real shortage H860 or IMR 4350; just the really useful stuff.

5. Fuzzy Bunny

Fuzzy Bunny

I just bought Varget this week from third generation shooting supply. They had it for about a day.

The best thing to do, if you haven't already, is to enter your email address in the notify me when this comes available thingy on most of the websites.

6. bozo699

bozo699 Site $$ Contributor

IMR-4350, not useful?....could you tell me of a more useful powder, I prefer H-4350 but there both probably as universal of powder as there is!

As far as the op question, I bought 16 lbs of Varget the other day at a local gun shop, I put word out to them a while back that I wanted some, a few weeks later they told be they located the 16 lbs. i told them I would take it all, I told them the same about H-4350 and H-4895 they called me yesterday and said they found a case of 8lb jugs of 4350 I told them I would take it all, if you just light somewhere and tell them what you want and be patient it will come, now for the wait for 4895.
    Wayne.

7. DRNewcomb

DRNewcomb

I think the average reloader will have a lot less use for 4350 than for 4895, 748 or Varget. IMHO, YMMV, etc. I personally have not use a whole pound of it in 25 years, but that's just me, probably due to the calibers and bullet weights I reload. What I was saying is that the powders I've seen availalbe for sale recently have either been pretty fast (e.g. shotgun powders) or pretty slow (H860, IMR 5010, etc). not much in the middle.

8. snakepit

snakepit Site $$ Contributor

This is exactly what I have found. I have been able to get Varget and most of the other bullets/supplies I have needed by backordering them if the distributor still allows backordering and then waiting and often the wait can be a while, in my case as long as 2 months or as in the case of my Varget one time it was 2 weeks and another time it was 7 weeks. But when it comes in it usually goes out to the backorder people first and that often uses up their supply and so it never shows up as in stock when you check their online availability. Most backorders are not put on your credit card until the order is shipped. You can always cancel a backorder if you change your mind or find it somewhere else. But again, not all distributors/vendors will let you backorder these days. Also, you need to keep track of your backorders or you may receive a backorder you forgot about as just happened to me with a Sinclair reloading die backorder.

9. XTR

XTR Site $$ Contributor

There are ups and downs to this strategy.

I have approx. 4000 Berger 185s on the shelf now. Backorders were automatically filled, not exactly a problem but it's about 2000 more than I wanted this yr, and if I hadn't screwed up one of the back orders and ordered one (1) box instead of the ten (10) I intended to back order I would have 5000 on the shelf.

There could be worse problems I guess.

10. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Site $$ Contributor

Have you tried to place an order with any of these or other suppliers? I've done so and received a few pounds of Varget because the 8 lbs containers are not available. I've also walked into a few local suppliers and found Varget one the shelf. That I suspect was a timing issue because Varget is in such great demand. Call Powder Valley Inc or Third Generation Shooting Supply on the phone and see what they can do to get to on the list. Also, keep your eyes on some of the other shooting blogs like Preditor Masters. I've seen three alerts within the past 5 days by members that Varget was in stock at 3 different sources. Of course within 6 hrs it was all gone but you can't just sit around and wait for it to appear. Members on all these blogs are trying to help each other out with active alerts as soon as they get them and reloaders are jumping on the info immediately.

Alex

11. snakepit

snakepit Site $$ Contributor

As has been said just keep checking. I friend of mine walked into a local shop the other day, a shop that had not had Varget or just about any of the popular powders in months and there it was on the shelf one lb containers of Varget with a limit of one lb per person per day. Lucky he had his wife with him so they each got a lb and he ended up with 2 lbs and he had been out of it for a while. By the way the Varget was gone when he stopped by the next day. But between forum member KMart and myself we had kept him shooting with Varget before he found this. That is what it often takes in our sport, persistence and good friends.

12. savageshooter86

savageshooter86 Site $$ Contributor

Pvi is not taking back orders. Not sure about TGSS either. Not sure what sites are doing back orders for powder or primers? Sinclair isn't for most stuff either.........

13. jo191145

jo191145 Site $$ Contributor

Perhaps backorder less than what you want from any one supplier. Also depends on how much you desire a certain product =) Your right, there could be worse problems.
    The only time I've ever jumped through hoops as I suggested was when I bought my first 204R and no one had produced sufficient ammo for it yet. Only way I found to get it was backorder and get in line. Ended up with three cases and still have some.
    Mostly I was trying to spur the OP into realizing his methods of acquisition just won't cut it in todays market. Gonna need to think outside the box and utilize the various other methods available. Backorder if possible, Powder Valley by phone or check their FB page daily to see what comes in. He'll figure it out if he wants it bad enough.

14. savageshooter86

savageshooter86 Site $$ Contributor

why does it keep coming up to call PVI and place an order for out of stock components? They are not doing that from my understanding ???

15. BikeEffects

BikeEffects Site $$ Contributor

So Wayne, are you actually going to use a case of 8 lb jugs of 4350? How long will that last you? That much 4350 will wear out a few barrels. I have to say that it sounds like that kind of buying is why we have a problem.

16. searcher

searcher Site $$ Contributor

I've been told by a couple of sources that when a "normal" supply comes in that would normally sell in 3 months - it sells in a few days due to Pentium demand from people stockpiling. Once that happens just two times - now you're 6 months out - and so on. You will notice that when one supplier gets something in - all the other suppliers tend to have the same thing - like right now it's IMR 7228, etc. A supply of Varget will ultimately come in - but until the horders have stocked up - its going to be a bitch.

Add to that certain states like the turmoil in Colorado and California, with all the pending legislation - it could get worse before it gets better. Why? One bill passed by the State Assembly in California is aimed at banning internet sales of ammo and components. Don't know whether it will ultimately become law - but you can be sure that, as a Californian, I have orders in because my shooting habit will cost me thousands more each year because of the increases I will bear.

I don't like being a hypocrite, so I called everybody I know that shoots and asked them if they had any supplies they did not intend to use - didn't work in their rifles, primers that didn't work for them, etc. before I started buying what I will need in the future. Surprising how much was available laying around when you ask. Turns out - everybody had some powder.

Lastly, some of our wholesalers have contractual commitments with large retailers and those orders must be filled first. That's why you see no primers, for example, ever show up as being in stock or available for purchase at some places. A few more of the wholesalers instead sell their wares to other retailers at what amounts to retail prices - only to be turned around and sold at double the normal retail price. I don't know about you guys - buy I'm taking notes on the guys selling at double the price and don't plan on buying from them - ever. They say they are just filling a demand and don't have a gun to our heads - but they already robbed us by taking all of the product off the street. The wholesalers that sell to them are as much to blame if they know the product is reselling at such inflated prices. I was glad to be able to put in a "notify me when in" with Natchez Shooters Supply about a month ago. I just got notified product was in and bought CCI large rifle match primers, large pistol primers, CCI 400 small rifle, and CCI military .556 primers in ONE order! I have had primers on backorder with Powder Valley for around four or five months (when still taking backorders). I suggest going to retailers that can get the product, are willing to notify you when they get it - have limitations per amount in one order, and don't wholesale their product. You'll have a much better chance of getting what you order, albeit at just a slightly higher price. And it you think powder and primers are bad - have you guys tried to buy rimfire ammo?

17. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Site $$ Contributor

A few powders have appeared in NYS....sold quickly...but VARGET has not been seen since this started months ago.

18. wrangler5

wrangler5

Varget seems to come and go at my local supplier. They had some last week, and I think I bought some the week before, but today they're out. (They have a 1 pound per visit limit, and they're a bit of a drive, so I don't just drop by every day.)

I haven't seen any vendor taking back orders recently. Some will send you email messages when items come back in stock, but if you're not sitting at your computer when the email comes in you probably will miss it. (I've been sitting there when an email came in from Midway - immediate click on the link which goes directly to the product page on the Midway site showed it was sold out already. Elapsed time between email arrival and seeing sold out status was < 10 seconds. This has happened more than once, although sometimes I have been in time and got what I wanted.)

19. bozo699

bozo699 Site $$ Contributor

20. BikeEffects

BikeEffects Site $$ Contributor

I did some math. I'm speechless! :)