Competition tuning

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Pahunter1975, Feb 4, 2019.

1. dougridgeore

dougridgeore

I have seen groups string vertically because of internal scope issues. Not saying that is your issue but I had a scope that would shoot basically two groups at 12 and 6 o’clock... changed out scope problem solved.

Pahunter1975 likes this.
  2. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Site $$ Sponsor

This seems like a good application for a ladder test.

Pahunter1975 likes this.
  3. sdean

sdean Gold $$ Contributor

I have seen this much vertical just from set up and gunhandling. There is a thread from Speedy around here on vertical you should research.

Pahunter1975 and SPJ like this.
  4. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

I was at this match. Vertical in targets was common Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The one the OP is showing is one of the good ones.

5. One Shot One Thrill

One Shot One Thrill

I believe the vertical I saw at the match was caused more by the incorrect powder charge than the wind. The Temp and Humidity were more of an issue than the wind in my very humble opinion.

BartsBullets and Pahunter1975 like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

Hope yours were the good ones!

7. Jennb

Jennb

I would start with powder charge! I dont do ladders, I shoot over a chronographs for best ES/SD. Testing with a chronograph eliminates shooter error and wind conditions.

Pahunter1975 and Stan Taylor like this.
  8. Pahunter1975

Pahunter1975

Thank you Jennb I hopefully this weekend I’ll get to do exactly what you are saying.

9. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

This might work good enough for F-Class but usually not good enough for BR. Some of my best ES and smallest groups at 100 were my worst vertical at 1000. I am talking ES of 1 to 2 and 100 yard groups In the zeros and low ones. That particular load never shot under 13 and all vertical. In BR on good days, the gun must shoot 10 shots in 4 to 5 inches in heavygun to win. In Light gun it must shoot 5 shots in 3 inches or under. There are so many good guns now. The 10 shot record for heavy is 2.815 and many targets with 9 shots under that and threatening it everyday. When you get it right, it tends to shoot through conditions way better then other loads. You let the target at 1000 tell you what it wants. Matt

seymour fish, Dave Way, Jet and 6 others like this.
  10. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

Hey Matt! I know that many, if not most, BR competitors do load development at the specific range(s) they intend to compete at. The primary goal is to shoot the tiniest groups at that particular range. E.S.s and S.D.s are NOT the primary concern, it's what groups are consistently printed on paper. However, I believe what Jennifer @Jennb is making a case for is that in F-Class, rifles are made to shoot at various ranges with 1 load, hence the PRIMARY need for consistently low E.S.s and S.D.s.. The rifle has to shoot from 300 to 1000 with the same load, in the same rifle, and keep as many as possible in the 10 ring, with a hefty percentage of those in the X ring! This accomplishment is not easily done. However, it HAS been done. Just look at Norm Harrold's 200/ 22X count at 1000 yards! That means 22Xs in 5 inches ALL SHOT IN A ROW! I would also bet a considerable sum he uses that same rifle and load for 600 etc... To make a rifle shoot really well at ALL distances, probably means not shooting at absolute peak at other distances. It is just the nature of the game. Both are correct>>>just correct for each discipline..

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Lbart and Pahunter1975 like this.
  11. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

The main problem with ladders is the majority of us shooting long range benchrest can't tune at a 1000 what is the shortest distance you can get by with.

Pahunter1975 likes this.
  12. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I have had a little success at 400. Vertical needs to show to find the nodes. I believe 300 might be the minimum. I believe the farther the better. Matt

dogdude, Mulligan, Northridge and 3 others like this.
  13. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

If you tune like Matt suggests that load will hold well inside x ring at 300 and 600. The idea that a load tuned at 1k for PC will shoot big at 600 is not true. Your still tuning for loads with pretty good ES. Now if you talking PC with old enfields with 100 fps ES military ammo thats a very different thing, which I have no interest or experience in. Nothing wrong with 100 yd cone of dispersion tuning either if that works for you.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Jet, Pahunter1975 and Stan Taylor like this.
  14. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

With such an impressive list of contributors to this thread I'm a bit intimidated to chime in.

I got my note pad though!

Pahunter1975 likes this.
  15. Northridge

Northridge

this group is trending from bottom up, I would agree shooting to loose or with late shoulder pick up my groups will induce vertical but it is usually random vertical up and down as string develops but reducing time before shoulder picks up stock helps clean grouping up. this group is trending from bottom up as I noted so something else is going on. charge is defiantly a variable but likely not the only fix.

Shawn Williams

SPJ, Pahunter1975 and Jet like this.
  16. Jennb

Jennb

E8A79065-AC82-4243-BB1C-E2CC6AE7BEA5.jpeg 9481C894-83B1-47DE-93CE-17827A61D9B1.jpeg
    I did not say thats all I do! Thats where I start, then I tune at 300 yards with seating depth. This was the seating depth I chose out of the others at 300 yards with a slight crosswind, moa correct size target. 1 1/2” X ring. 5 shots in that hole. Pic with dime was second group at the same depth to verify

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  17. Jennb

Jennb

These were my velocities at the target in a 1000 yard competition. Scorekeeper wrote them down for me and this is with a .308 shooting 200 gr bullets. CB4270B2-C417-4D12-86AF-1B9A7ED8E6B9.jpeg My methods obviously have some merit!

Pahunter1975, Rope2horns and milanuk like this.
  18. Rope2horns

Rope2horns Norm Harrold Silver $$ Contributor

Again I agree with both of these statements ^^^...for the sake of discussion only not bragging at all....I tune for PC at 1k..I don't own a chronograph...Two weeks after Nationals I set a pending national record (I think) at 600yrds 600-52x's with the same rifle and same ammo...there are different ways to skin a cat...this is what has worked for me....Some of what I know I learned from the Fclass crowd and some of what I learned came from right here on Accurate Shooter from posts from guys like Alex, Matt, Tom and a few others not mentioned....I'd read then go test for myself...if I liked what I saw I continued on with it, if not I quit..it's that simple. Do what works for you.

19. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Lots of variables involved But"
    If I took this load to a thousand yard event, how bad would I get my butt kicked?

Attached Files:

Pahunter1975 likes this.
  20. Jennb

Jennb

You are so right Norm. There are many ways to accomplish the same thing. Everyone should use what works for them! Working the way I do I can do most of my load development at home before I have to drive a ways to get to the range. An accuracy node is a accuracy node no matter the distance or how you find it!

Pahunter1975 likes this.