Competing in the rain

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Tony1320, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Silver $$ Contributor

I wear Grundens pants and a light rain jacket for shooting in the rain. They are very comfortable and easy to put on and off. I have a tendency to want to remove the jacket when actually shooting, even if that means I will get wet to prevent it from throwing my shooting off.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009G1UJB4/?tag=accuratescom-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XC7680/?tag=accuratescom-20

If necessary, I just drape a cut down tarp over the rifle when no in use. Rain does help keep the barrel cooler while shooting.

2. Immike

Immike Silver $$ Contributor

The rules prohibit that for the individual, if the director deems it for the entire line then it’s okay

Dub and South Prairie jim like this.
  3. Turbulent Turtle

Turbulent Turtle F-TR competitor

At the FCWC last year in Connaught, we shot in the rain. The day before weighing in, the team members went to "Canadian Tire" and bought some Velcro tabs and some thick transparent plastic film. We cut and fashioned pieces that would Velcro on the port side of the rifle and then fold over the top of the rifle, covering the scope and action and extend out to cover the ammo box. There was enough room underneath to keep the scorecards dry. The rain gear was part of the weight.

When the rain started, I had just started my string. I had my rain gear with me, already to go on, which took but a few seconds. I had a rain jacket only, did not put on the rain suit pants. It was epic shooting in that get up, but this was the World's. When I finished my string, I scurried over to the tents, and then the skies really opened up and it was a washout. My rain-soaked string was cancelled and I got soaked for (Con)naught. Oh well.

4. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim Silver $$ Contributor

It may be tough to explain to the fellas why you stayed home.

5. Ringostar

Ringostar

Pasting bullet holes doesn't work in the rain. The pasters don't stick to a wet target.

6. Immike

Try the ones creedmore sells, we switched to them after seeing them work at atterbury

South Prairie jim likes this.
  7. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim Silver $$ Contributor

They'll stick to a wet Cow:confused:

8. Ringostar

Ringostar

Mike, I don't purchase the pasters for any of the ranges that I shoot at. I use what they supply.

9. XTR

XTR

As Monte notes above, 2 gallon ziplock for the action. If you look closely at my rifles you'll see velcro dots on the scope sun shade and on the left side of the action, they correspond to the ones I put in the bag to keep it from moving.

Bear in mind that anything you add counts toward the weight of the rifle in F class. As to covering your ammo, remember, anything that lifts when you lift the rifle is included in the weight in F-TR, so you can't wrap a cover over the scope and the ammo box or you get the ammo box included in the weight. Use a separate ammo cover.

What ever you use has to be clear so the ROs can see your action for safety reasons.

Wide brimmed water proof hats are good for keeping water off of your scope lens.

Keep a dry-ish hand towel or washcloth under you to dry your hand and anything else you may need. (motel washcloths, carry all of them with you to the range)

Get a cheap box fan for the motel room. Use it to get your stuff dry at the end of the day.

Many of us who shot the Worlds in Canada spent a lot of time in the run up to that event getting our rain gear sorted. They shoot in the rain, if you ever plan to go to England, they shoot in the rain.

Dub likes this.
  10. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

I've been in a few matches that could be best described as 'synchronized swimming with guns'.

For a local club match, yeah, I'd probably pass. Nothing to gain / nothing on the line worth the hassle. But for a team match in a national or international level tournament... well, it *is* an outdoor sport. When I've committed literally hundreds of dollars (or more) to get there and am ready to go, and the whiners convince the match director to have a rain delay or cancellation... :mad:

Plus, as Wade mentioned... if you shoot with teams from England/Ireland/Scotland, they just look at ya funny when you complain about shooting in the rain :D

11. Rope2horns

Rope2horns Norm Harrold Gold $$ Contributor

100% this^^^^!!

12. Rope2horns

Rope2horns Norm Harrold Gold $$ Contributor

PGS, Nature Boy and Immike like this.
  13. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

I had a gear cover made from vinyl boat upholstery material (about 4' x 6') with 2oz egg sinkers sewn in to the 'hem' every 8 " to weight it down for windy conditions. Works like a champ and covers all the gear while not shooting. Cabella's makes outstanding Gore-tex foul weather gear that is light weight and breathable. I have used it while sailing and offshore fishing for 30+ years and am only on my second set; the first top/bottom lasted over 18 years of abusive use.

Rope2horns and Immike like this.
  14. Immike

Good suggestions, we got caught in a good one at camp perry and the people in the pits just covered the gear and didn’t secure it for what was about to happen. They forced the field cleared immediately and wouldn’t let the pit crew enter the field. Back at the parking lot gear covers rolled in by the dozen. Some of bbq pit covers with elastic might work for wagons.

15. jim1903a1

jim1903a1

I just got back from the Imperial Meeting in England. They shoot unless you can't see the targets or there's lightning. Having shot in the rain before, I use a rain cover instead of a rifle case https://hps-tr.com/en/wet-weather-slips-3. I scotch guard the heck out of my shooting coat and use 2 gallon zip locks for my ammo and plot sheets. I made a "mud flap" out of duck tape for my chamber that has worked well in the past. Y'all that are shooting with scopes, a chamois works real well to wipe your lenses. A nice, thick bar towel is your friend. I left my thick shooting mat at home and bought a thin one that won't soak up the water. I don't wear rain gear while shooting, I'll dry out. We got lucky and didn't get rained on until the last day but we were ready for it. I'm not going to travel a long distance and sit out because of rain.

16. Tony1320

Tony1320

Thanks for all the help everyone

I'm going to the Canadian F-Class Nationals for the first time. As of right now it looks like we are gonna get rain it's a long drive and expensive trip so I want to be prepared

Do you guys just wipe down your scope lenses on the fly once it gets too wet? Is there something specific I should use so I don't damage the coating

17. XTR

XTR

Good luck in Canada, those guys put on one of the best matches around. I was planning to go but a project commitment got in the way... that confounded work thing.

Be sure to try poutine while you're there.

RDavies likes this.
  18. ClassCat

ClassCat Unlimited Gold $$ Contributor

One BIG AZZ Golf umbrella and lite foul weather gear. BTW , Bruno's used to sell leather rifle covers

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    South Prairie jim likes this.
  19. Turbulent Turtle

Turbulent Turtle F-TR competitor

The coating on modern scopes will not me harmed by rain. I leave my sunshade on at all time and rain will not get to the objective lens unless I aim the rifle up. I place the cover on the shade before listing the rifle.

Keep a microfiber towel handy to wipe the ocular lens (and your glasses) as needed. The towels will not hurt the lenses.

20. kzin

kzin

I'm unprepared because my 4 monthly matches are all under a roof.:)

I manage to forget waterproof shoes or boots half the time when it rains.