Combining sun shades

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, Sights, Rings, Bases Etc.' started by Packrat1947, Jan 17, 2019.

Trader History (0)
  1. Packrat1947

Packrat1947 Silver $$ Contributor

Here's last night's project. In the past I bought a post 2004 aftermarket sunshade for Leupolds. But all mine are pre 2004 - so I threw it in the junkbox and forgot about it.

Anyhow, I found the shade joined it with a pre 2004 Leupold shade. I had some green Delrin of a good size and got to work. I made the adapter so that each shade is a good tight push fit. This way I can pull them apart in the future - and I didn't modify either one.

As an aside, none of the sunshades are really flat black inside. The Leupold one was fairly glossy. That's certainly not good for catching errant rays and absorbing them. After some googling I found that lot of folks are looking for a good flat black coating. These include photographers, telescope builders, camera/lens repairmen, etc.

I saw suggestions of Birchwood Casey's Sight Black and Krylon Ultra-Flat camouflage paint. I ran a quick test spraying both on some shiny aluminum and the Sight Black was the darkest. It isn't really great though, and is more of a dark gray. Maybe a flock would be better.

My backyard bench faces south and the low angle winter sun is an issue. So now I have a longer shade so that should help. Or I could use some duct tape like these fellows.
    1-Parting Delrin2.jpg 2-Three pieces.jpg 3-Joined together.jpg 4-Birchwood in sunshine.jpg 5-Duct tape-sniper2.jpg Packrat1947

2. KentuckyFisherman

KentuckyFisherman

Pretty slick work, PackRat. I have some of the same sunshade issues, but don't have the lathe. Lots of my solutions involve duct tape, so glad to see you mention it. ;)

ckaberna and Packrat1947 like this.
  3. Garrett Coleman

Garrett Coleman Gold $$ Contributor

I could make these threaded out of aluminum if there is enough interest in them.

4. Garrett Coleman

Not trying to hijack your post sorry

Packrat1947 likes this.
  5. Packrat1947

Garret, you are not hijacking anything. I'm glad that you responded.

Why don't you make a few and post them for sale? With these forums it is free advertising. I'm guessing that something along the lines of 4 - 8" would be nice. These 48 tpi model shades are just not out there anymore.

I could use one or two. I can do the threads, but the thin-walled tubing would have me floundering on my old cheap lathe. I have not researched to see if 1/16" or thinner tubing is available. In the distant past I have made mirage shields for personal 1000 yd rifles.

Once I made a mirage tube with Leupold threads at one end and Weaver at the other. The tubing was a thin clear plastic-like substance. Worked very well. I did like the Weaver T16 a lot.

6. Garrett Coleman

Packrat,

Thank you for the reply, I will get on it and let you know soon as they are done. Do you think I should just make a short adapter, or a 4” sunshade that is the adapter?

Thank you!

7. Packrat1947

I would think that a threaded 4" shade would be well received. On Amazon
    we can only find shades for 2004 and after.

The two inch shades are a bit short in trying circumstances. Like shooting
    southward in the winter.

Garrett Coleman likes this.
  8. Garrett Coleman

Okay I will see what I can work up

9. Packrat1947

I just ordered some 2" by .049" thickness 6061 tubing from Speedymetals.com . I'm going to make a couple of longer shades soon. ...Just to keep the brain cells active. Packrat1947

10. Packrat1947

I just got the thin walled material today. Here's a picture of a mirage tube that I made when I was shooting long range at Camp Perry. One end was threaded for Leupold scope and the other for a Weaver T-16. The plastic was clear originally.

Mirage tube adapters.jpg

11. Packrat1947

I have finished up my 6" sunshade. I may paint the outside later, but will just leave it in the white for now. The threads are a little too long, but I'm not going to shorten them. I sprayed the inside with Birchwood Casey's Sight Black. It is about the flattest/darkest coating I can find.
    1 Blue tape facing.jpg 2 Press fit separated.jpg 2 Press fit separated.jpg 3 Adapter ring.jpg 4 Tube blackened.jpg 5 Tube with Butler Cap.jpg

12. Packrat1947

As a follow-up, when I had the tubing in the lathe, I could tell that it was slightly (.010") banana shaped. I was going to thin the .049" walls down a bit, but given its curvature this would not have gone well. Best to let sleeping dogs lie.