Colt discontinues AR15 production for consumer market

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Tommie, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

2. Dud

Dud

People are going to make this a big deal but I don't think it is.

I seem to remember plenty of "LEO only" Colts available during the ban in places where they could be transferred legally.

These days, you can take your pick of several very high quality manufacturers of AR15s or build your own so nostalgia is all we are missing.

Greyfox, 300_whisper, 'Freak and 3 others like this.
  3. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

I agree. Colts stuff is subpar today. FAR better stuff readily available.

4. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

Just playing to the fad of the day.

Zero333, hogpatrol and GotRDid like this.
  5. people

people

I can see it, the days of ABC's for ARs are long gone.

6. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

They likely decided not to play in the game of lesser expensive and lower profit AR-15's, of todays market. If, by chance, the prices skyrocket again, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them back into the AR market.

Zero333, 300_whisper, rinoray and 3 others like this.
  7. GotRDid

GotRDid

They did this in the 90's as well.
    Screw them.
    GotRDid.

mikeinct and shoot4fun like this.
  8. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

Its all about the Benjamins.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  9. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

No loss. Have you seen current colt branded production quality?

10. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

You are absolutely correct, just like Walmart stepped out of the firearms/ammo business after Katrina. And, humorously enough, just like Dick's did in 2012 after Sandy Hook. Colt's military contracts are history and most likely never to be regained. FN has the largest (IIRC) and Sig is nipping on the heels of an even bigger part of the military biz after the adoption of the M17.

GotRDid likes this.
  11. mongo chicago

mongo chicago

Almost everybody makes a better AR than Colt. I can't remember the last time I saw one at the range or being purchased.

12. Centuriator

Centuriator

Colt Statement Regarding Cessation Of Commercial AR-15 Production
    September 19th, 2019
    Company Response to Questions about Colt Participation in Consumer Markets

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (September 19th, 2019) – There have been numerous articles recently published about Colt’s participation in the commercial rifle market. Some of these articles have incorrectly stated or implied that Colt is not committed to the consumer market. We want to assure you that Colt is committed to the Second Amendment, highly values its customers and continues to manufacture the world’s finest quality firearms for the consumer market.

The fact of the matter is that over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity. Given this level of manufacturing capacity, we believe there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, our warfighters and law enforcement personnel continue to demand Colt rifles and we are fortunate enough to have been awarded significant military and law enforcement contracts. Currently, these high-volume contracts are absorbing all of Colt’s manufacturing capacity for rifles. Colt’s commitment to the consumer markets, however, is unwavering. We continue to expand our network of dealers across the country and to supply them with expanding lines of the finest quality 1911s and revolvers.

At the end of the day, we believe it is good sense to follow consumer demand and to adjust as market dynamics change. Colt has been a stout supporter of the Second Amendment for over 180 years, remains so, and will continue to provide its customers with the finest quality firearms in the world.

Very respectfully,

Dennis Veilleux, President and Chief Executive Officer

13. Rsadams

Rsadams

Here lately I haven't been impressed with their build quality anymore.... It's a shame , but I would bet money it has to do with law suits.... The fact is the market is and has been for awhile flooded.... The parts are cheap and you can keep one running for a long time with a basic gun Smithing tools.. But if that's what colt is thinking , there's also alot of people making good 1911s and revolvers... Maybe they should have stayed in bankruptcy... Once again a shame....

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  14. fantastic

fantastic

I am not buying their brand anymore, they are betrayers. playing safe because they think Trump might loose the election. I bet they will stay making and selling AR's if Trump wins.

15. Centuriator

Centuriator

Depends on what you mean by "better" ... people who want a boutique rifle, that looks super pretty out of the box, can find those and buy those.

Colts are rugged, reliable and well-proven. I happily shoot my COLT M4A1 SOCOM, tens of thousands of rounds, never has let me down. I may have to change the barrel, at some point, maybe. Clean it. Lube it and it keeps going.

And, if anyone wants a "mil spec" AR...Colt still owns the TDP for the AR-15 and licenses rights to it, to FN.

300_whisper, snakepit and kvd like this.
  16. spencerhenry

spencerhenry Silver $$ Contributor

Trump isn't losing the election. That I will put money on!

Mulligan, L W P, boltfluter and 5 others like this.
  17. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Stop and think about it, who of us shooters, really have or bought a colt AR of any kind ? Other brands and/or home built is better.

'Freak, Snuggie and garandman like this.
  18. Centuriator

Centuriator

Who of "us shooters"? The kind of shooter who understands what Colt makes and why and understands that when he buys a COLT AR he is getting the only true "mil spec" AR avaialble, since COLT owns the TDP for the AR-15 (licensed to FN), and the fact that the COLT AR is utterly reliable and gets the job done.

The kind of shooter who does not need to be buffaloed with baloney by slick marketing from other AR makers who will try to convince you their ARs are somehow any better (talking to you BCM), etc.

The kind of shooter who actually has researched and done his homework on the AR-15 and understands the COLT 6920 and iterations of it remains today (until recently) the very best choice for your first "go to" AR.

That kind of shooter.

I've put tens of thousands of rounds through various COLT ARs, most recently my M4A1 SOCOM.

All this talk about "better" brands is just that...talk...unless/until you start to take a look at genuinely innovative AR rifles, like LMT's line of AR rifles.

300_whisper likes this.
  19. Centuriator

Centuriator

Sorry, but that's just stupid talk there. If Colt thought it could make money selling to the commercial marketplace, more so than filling existing contracts, they would. Period.

JimT likes this.
  20. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I bought a Colt 6920 about 10 years ago when there were whispers about them going out of business. It sits in it’s box, unfired. The AR I shoot is a Rock River. Accurate and reliable.:)