Cochran's Must-Read F-Class Article

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Forum Boss, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

Guys, if you have ANY interest in F-Class shooting, you should read the new Gun of the Week Feature. 2005 National Champ Jeff Cochran worked really hard on the article and covered a bunch of topics.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek063.html

He gets right into specifics on making wind calls, pacing your shots, and strategy--when to be conservative and when to be aggressive.

Sorry, I'd hoped to get this up earlier today, but ATT/SBC decided to dump my DSL for 6 hours today. I think I must have spoken to four different East Indian tech support folks all of whom gave me completely unsatisfactory answers.

Turbulent Turtle likes this.
  2. icepick

icepick

Excellent article,,,,,,,,,, a must read.

3. HPLT

HPLT

Does anyone know what Midway rest he is talking about? I am in the market for a rifle rest that I can use for F-Class but I am not interested in spending any more than I have to. I was actually thinking about just using a sand bag this year...awfully heavy though. I did a google search for Midway Rifle rest and came up with a few possibilities, but nothing that looked the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks

4. 280man

280man Silver $$ Contributor

I think he used one of those magical blue ones;)

5. 280man

280man Silver $$ Contributor

6. DBailey

DBailey

Here is the Midway item #: 412484
    They just paint them green now.
    I think Rick is right. Cochran’s rest is magic. What else could it be ??? ;)

7. JeffT

JeffT

there you go sucking up again Baily :rolleyes:

by the way, did you find my press in your luggage from Bisley?

8. DBailey

DBailey

You aint right :lol:

I just checked my brass bag. it's in there. You want me to ship it to you ?

9. Badlands

Badlands

Thanks for the Heads Up on the Cochran Article:idea:
    I don't shoot F Class so I missed it until I saw your message.
    Seemed worthwhile so I printed a copy to review now and then
    with my morning coffee.:cool: A lot of good info for any LR
    shooter. Most people don't realize the unpaid time and effort that go into these articles that are better illustrated and
    written than anything you can find in the best magazines.
    :comp: 6mmBR is the greatest thing since brass cartridges.:lol:
    Thank you Mr.Cochran and Mr. Moderator, Gerry Nordmann:wave:

10. coyoteklr

coyoteklr Guest

forum boss

was one of the people you talked to named PEGGY?????????????????????? ;D ;D ;D

good article......................

11. treeman

treeman

yea, but her voice was kinda deep!! funny how a post from 5 years ago can pop back up again!

12. Taildrag15X

Taildrag15X

That;s why it's called a sticky....it's always at the top for most New Memebers to read good info.......

13. dskinner103

dskinner103

That was a fantastic article and one that I am sure I will read again and again. I also think it might have answered my question on what caliber I should shoot as I begin my journey into competitive shooting. While my 308 may be ok, I think I will look much harder at 6 and 6.5 and pay more attention to the expert advice given in that column and from so many of the contributors on this site.

14. Denmeade

Denmeade Boss

I have to say this is one of the best articles I have ever read; it was very detailed with his personal knowledge and tips to help people who are beginning much like myself.

15. Road_Clam

Road_Clam

That was an awesome, well written article ! While i'm a newer precision shooter, my long term goal taking me into retirement is to shoot club level F Class in my area !

16. Billinoregon

Billinoregon

Thanks for drawing my attention to Jeff's article. I feel like I have a firm understanding now of F-class basics.

17. Tridenttactical

Tridenttactical

A very interesting article.......some great info included. Thank you for sharing !

18. dixieppc

dixieppc In search of one small hole...

I was noticing that he shoots right handed but uses his left eye through the scope because of his Keratoconus condition. I have a cross dominance condition. I am right handed but my dominant eye is my left eye. While I do use my right eye when shooting a scoped long gun, I cross over when shooting a handgun right handed, I use my left eye to line the sights up.

Having to shoot the way he does I was noticing in the picture that it appears that he is putting heavy cheek pressure on the stock to be able to line his left eye up with the scope. Wonder if that ever gave him problems? Well, undoubtedly it didn't give him a problem in 2005.

Regards.....