CMP/Eley Standard .22 Ammo

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Killick, May 23, 2019.

1. Killick

Killick Silver $$ Contributor

Is this ammo any good compared to say SK Match?

2. perry42

perry42 Gold $$ Contributor

EVERY RIFLE is different and once an accurate ammo is found you need to use ammo from the same lot.

perry42

Killick likes this.
  3. steve123

steve123

Packed in bulk I bet it's bottom of the bucket Eley, so I wouldn't expect much.

Then there's what Perry mentioned

Killick likes this.
  4. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

It's ok but not in the same category as SK.

Killick likes this.
  5. stork

stork

Ransom rested it @ 50 yds with my Nelson & Marvel conversions. It's an honest 1" ammo with either conversion.

Killick likes this.
  6. velocette

velocette Silver $$ Contributor

I and several of my friends have tried and use this ammo. All of the friends are master Smallbore competitors and one is a three time olympian shooter. We have found that the CMP ammo WHEN IT IS SEGREGATED BY WEIGHT, is excellent practice ammo. We segregate by groups of 0.2 grains. That is, the variations of that ammo run from (with some anomalies) about 51.2 grains through, 54.3 grains, with the majority running in the 51.8 ~ 52.9 range. When segregated in groups such as 51.2 ~ 51.3 gr or 52.6 ~ 52.7 etc and the segregated lots are used together, the results are excellent. Some rifles will like the groups of a certain range, but overall, the results are quite good. Do I use it for matches? NO, there will be within the segregated lots an occasional flyer just like is gotten with SK or Eley higher grade ammo. But at less than half the cost. Overall the stuff WHEN SEGREGATED BY WEIGHT shoots extremely well and well beyond its price point.

7. JaoeyP

JaoeyP Silver $$ Contributor

Generally speaking, no it's not quite as good as SK plus. But, as others have noted, every 22 rifle may like a different brand/lot. Two out of three of my rifles shoot SK Plus way better than Eley CMP, the third rifle doesn't like the SK at all and shoots the CMP slightly better than SK. That's the trouble with 22s. We can make generalizations about ammo, but you will have to test and try to find the right make, model, and lot for your rifle.

perry42 and Killick like this.
  8. sunburn

sunburn

This is my experience also.