CLR

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Barlow, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Barlow

Barlow

Their was a thread a short time ago where CLR was recommended for carbon removal. My old Swift has lost its edge so I thought I would give it a try. I'm using it right now and cannot believe the mud that is coming out of this supposedly clean barrel. How long do you leave this in and what's the best way to clean it out. Thanks, Barlow

2. McGraw

McGraw

Barlow, that thread was on “Isso vs JB” second page on main message board now. Several recommendations there on how to use the CLR.

3. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

I do NOT leave it in as I don't see the need. Run a patch or two up and down the bore a few times and you will be good! After the first patch or two there will be hardly any carbon left. Then I continue on with Boretech Eliminator and some Kroil making sure to get all that CLR out.

dc.fireman and Bc'z like this.
  4. McGraw

McGraw

22Dasher is that full strength CLR right out of the bottle on patch?Thanks Mark.

5. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

LGKLAS, mikeinct and McGraw like this.
  6. 22DASHER

That's how I used it. I am still in test mode with it. I ended up using it on a older yet proven 6x47L barrel. Shot it the following day, put two sighters down and shot some groups. Groups were right on par with what they have been so it at least did not cause any harm. :cool:

Scarface26, Bc'z and McGraw like this.
  7. 22DASHER

I should also note that I see NO need to use this stuff during every cleaning (depending on barrel and load of course). I will only be using it when the carbon does not come out with my normal cleaning regimen.

8. mikeinct

mikeinct

Thank you All So Much for putting in the links & tips to using CLR..I would have never though to clean a muzzle brake w that stuff...

9. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

I tried CLR for the dirst time this evening and it seems to cut down on the scrubbing needed to remove the stubborn carbon.

I have 2 more rifles to clean and will report the results.

McGraw likes this.
  10. Mikemontminy

Mikemontminy

I left some CLR sitting on a piece of stainless steel and also a piece of aluminum overnight as a test. Wiped the CLR off in the morning and both pieces of metal looked perfect like nothing was ever applied. Not even residue on the white rag I wiped it off with. Didn’t seem to harm either metal so I tried some in my barrel. Took about 10 patches before they started to come out clean. I didn’t let it sit in the barrel too long. I followed up with wipe out and the patches came out dirty again like the CLR didn’t remove all the carbon.

Bc'z, dmoran and ljmontano like this.
  11. 22DASHER

Did you take ten patch’s with a drop each and just push them through the bore? Or did you take saturated patches and scrub them up and down bore, especially in throat area? Do you have a tight fitting jag and patch? Also how bad was the build up before you started?Did you borescope before and after CLR?

12. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

The stuff works great. Been using it for about a year first on the carbon on muzzle brakes that have been submerged in it, now in the bore. Especially in the carbon ring area.

13. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

Throw those brakes in a sonic cleaner with clr, makes quick work of it.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  14. rwj

rwj Silver $$ Contributor

I realize all situations are unique... but can report that CLR removed nothing from my 6BR barrel following my usual cleaning sequence... BoreTech Eliminator, GunSlick foam, and a few brush strokes. Using Varget powder...

15. Capt. Oblivious

Capt. Oblivious

As soon as I can find some over here Im also on the CLR wagon!

16. Evlshnngns

Evlshnngns Silver $$ Contributor

Do you have a borescope? I wouldn't expect anything if the bore was already spotless.

17. rwj

rwj Silver $$ Contributor

Yes, Lyman. There was no visual difference in the bore’s appearance after using the CLR. Regrets that I didn’t capture any images to post. I find that Eliminator works extremely well!

LGKLAS, McGraw and Evlshnngns like this.
  18. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

I’ve just finished cleaning 3 rifles, all fired in an F class match last weekend.

Used wipe out foam to start, let that sit, then went to CLR on felt pellets.

If it cuts any time and effort it’s only marginal.

The best performance I observed was on the carbon ring. It made quick work of that and I would say much better than anything I’ve tried to date.

As it relates to my other problem area, carbon in the rifling, it worked no better than other chemicals and it was less effective than JB or Iosso.

Bottom line for me: regardless of the chemical, there still needs to be some mechanical action (JB, Iosso, or brush) to go with it.

I was hopeful but it didn’t help me much.

dmoran, LGKLAS and McGraw like this.
  19. LGKLAS

LGKLAS

CLR seems like good product to use on getting rid of the carbon ring. It also seems like no one that uses it is anxious to leave it in their bores for any long period of time. So I am worried about CLR doing damage to bore /chamber if I do not get 100% of it out after I use it. Is there any product/chemical a person could use to nuetralize any CLR that may be left in the bore/chamber after using CLR? I am not sure that running dry patches through the rifle will remove ALL the CLR that was applied. Thanx, lg

PS: I read the post about leaving CLR on Al and SS. My barrel /chamber is not made with either. I bought some CLR after having read the earlier referenced thread and the article linked here. I guess what I am saying is, I am afraid to use it. I don't have any old barrels to test it on. :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  20. swadiver

swadiver

i have been using non chlorinated break cleaner followed up with a pass of Lock-Eez to remove the CLR and then lubricate the bore. seems to work ok

LGKLAS likes this.