Clemit scope improvement

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by tenring, Sep 16, 2018.

1. tenring

tenring

Mulligan and jimmymac like this.
  2. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

3. Jet

Jet Gold $$ Contributor

Following

4. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Their claim that it improves your vision is pure BS.

5. Knotwild

Wondering where you got your info? I am interested in learning more.

6. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

My Optometrist and my Ophthalmologist.

7. Knotwild

Thanks. I went to the Clemit website, but I didn't really read their claims as improving my eyesight. It appears the goal is for the prescription lens in the Clemit unit to allow you to see the cross hairs better and to allow me to shoot without having to look through my progressive lenses. In other words I would be looking through the same prescription as if I had my glasses on to shoot. It is hard sometimes to move my head just right to find the spot in my progressives that works best.

I thought about getting Rx shooting glasses, but that can be very expensive.

8. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

You would get the same effect using glasses with the same tints. I have used camera filters,holding them in front of a scope's eyepiece, several colors and Polaroid. Most darkened the image too much but light tints can improve contrast, and that can improve apparent image sharpness, and visibility. Think about experiences with yellow shooting glasses, or the blue blockers, or Vuarnet sun glasses.

JRS likes this.
  9. Knotwild

Hello Mr. Boyd. Thanks. I wasn't really thinking of using the tints. They make a clear lens also. The interesting thing to me is having the same Rx as your glasses in the scope lens cap. The downside is that every time you got a new Rx, it would mean a new lens.

10. Macropod

Macropod

I tried a polarizing filter screwed to the front of a scope once. When adjusting it, the reticle moved all over the target....

I abandoned the idea without firing a shot.

Mirage modifiers in the form of an annular ring do work though, by increasing depth of field.

11. speedy396

speedy396 Silver $$ Contributor

I have a Clemit and it has improved my ability to see the crosshairs through my scope. I always thought if my prescription was good, I should be able to see just like anyone else. Not the case for me and my terrible eyes.

12. wwbrown

wwbrown Silver $$ Contributor

I would be very skeptical about the mirage reducing unit for quite a few reasons that are extremely boring to read much less write. Allow me to say that the department of defense has spent $100's million of dollars looking for a solution to turbulence what we call mirage with very limited results.
    I wish that manufacturers would show some proof for claims like this. If it actually worked to reduce the mirage it would be very easy to take some pictures through a scope with the filter on it and one without. Since they don't publish a comparison that would be so easy to make it probably is snake oil for reducing mirage.