Cleaning with H4895

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Matt P, Jul 7, 2018.

1. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Silver $$ Contributor

Dont forget to listen to your patches. They tell a story too.

Stan Taylor likes this.
  2. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

When I go shoot a match a lot of my competition says why don't you clean between relays I say to them if it don't shoot dirty I ain't gonna shoot clean.LOL

Idaho-Lefty and Clancy like this.
  3. steve123

steve123

Say a guy isn't a benchrest shooter and wasn't going to clean his rifle for a day or two. Would a shortcut be to soak a bore mop with - "what's a good cleaner that will not etch a barrel but will loosen a carbon ring"???, leaving the mop and cleaner in the bore where the carbon ring would normally form.

Just wondering???

4. K22

K22

Amen - performance is what counts

Stan Taylor likes this.
  5. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

Nailed it !

Idaho-Lefty likes this.
  6. johara1

johara1

You can feel the carbon starting by pull the rod back easy with patch on it. it will feel sticky........ +1 one on the above post.... jim

seymour fish, Idaho-Lefty and Rushty like this.
  7. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

Hard carbon rings do not show MUCH black or grey on patches. By the time you "feel" the carbon ring, you are in one heck of a mess.

Idaho-Lefty, LarryDScott and Rushty like this.
  8. johara1

johara1

Not really, When you see it looking like an alligator then it is work. .. jim

9. Curious

Curious

I used to think that, then Hawkeye the borescope showed me that patches very often tell lies! :eek:

RDavies, LarryDScott, Matt P and 2 others like this.
  10. AckleymanII

Reading patches is really a poor way to tell if carbon is building up in your barrel....long hard lesson learned on this....on par with reading tea leaf's and Ouija boards.

11. Northridge

Northridge

cleaning between relays really, at my home range Deep Creek Missoula one is not realistic because if your not shooting your working the pits so there is not realistic time between relays to accommodate such a practice. we would just have to have four good guns Laying around clean, shoot one gun per relay. its my opinion based off targets that more prospect trouble in respect to holding a given tune comes from cleaning between relays than having a gun tuned around shooting 30 -40 shots over the course of a day. I prefer that all humans I compete against at long range take it back to clean smooth bore between every relay. I think you will find that guys performing this task will have more broken scopes and bad barrels than guys shooters who just shoot on that fresh fouled in barrel..

Shawn Williams

DBLNUT, ledward, Clancy and 1 other person like this.
  12. Prose

Prose

IMHO, leaving the mop in the barrel probably isn't necessary, just the cleaner.

13. Patton243

Patton243 Silver $$ Contributor

Don't blame the powder. Blame your barrel, your incorrect cleaning methods, and the cheap bullets you're shooting down the barrel. I use H4895 in 2 cut rifled Brux barrels and cleanup is easy.

Idaho-Lefty and dogdude like this.
  14. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Silver $$ Contributor

That's true. You may not inspect every inch of it with a bore scope and maybe not frequent enough, but the patches will tell you sometimes that you need to look at it with a bore scope.

I had some copper fouling, too early in one of my barrels life. (According to my patches) So I looked at it with the scope and found hard carbon deposits that weren't being removed when I was cleaning. So I changed my regimen and got it taken care of. No more copper fouling.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    dmoran likes this.
  15. Matt P

Matt P

Guess I'll have to move away from Brux barrels and Berger bullets !!! I'll also need to stop using bronze brushes, Hoppes and Proshot solvents !!!
    Well I guess you've had a whole 2 barrels that liked H4895, that means the all the barrels I inspect with a borescope that have carbon fouling issues with Varget and H4895 must be problem barrels, cheap bullets (not sure how the bullet induces carbon fouling) and bad cleaning.:rolleyes:o_O
    Matt P

RDavies likes this.
  16. dedeadeye

dedeadeye Gold $$ Contributor

After 2 targets (30-40 shots) 4 Boretech soaked patches, 15 cycles (front and back) with bronze brush and Boretech, dry and apply light Butches bore oil before next string. Every 200 rounds, clean, patch with Kroil and short stroke with JB Bore Cleaner paying special attention to throat area. 2-3 patches with Kroil and wait to have fun at next match.
    Roger
    PS; some barrels are different. One barrel needed J B after every match for about 300 rounds. Turned out to be a record setter.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Idaho-Lefty, Jet and R.Morehouse like this.
  17. Milo 2.0

I just built a Dasher, my first, just how many accurate rds do you think a guy can take before cleaning the barrel using H4895? This is carbon fiber barrel and scoping the thing I do not think it was lapped all that well. I am getting quite a carbon buildup in the last half of it and am not accustomed to cleaning a barrel every 75 rds.

18. AckleymanII

Milo, I am shooting 31g of H4895 with a 105, no carbon ring. Lots may differ.

19. Milo 2.0

Thanks, 31.2gr with hybrid here, as of yet, no ring, buildup in the final 12" of the barrel, if I go too long between cleanings, seems to create drag and I get pressure signs, or false pressure signs< if that is a thing, lol

20. AckleymanII

it is a thing, Milo. Also, I do not go the long shooting strings that you do. I found varget to have a pretty good carbon ring.

You may try the user friendly Montana Extreme Copper cream that is very easy to use compared to JB, and more agressive Iosso and flitz.

I use the Copper cream on patches or on a really foulded up barrel with a bronze bristle brush...you will love how easy this product is to use. Short stroke on 3 patches will usually clean out the copper and carbon if the regular brush has not cleaned as NICE as you would like to.