Cleaning with H4895

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Matt P, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Matt P

Matt P

Hi All
    Not sure if it's just me, but I'm finding 4895 a lot harder to clean than R15,when inspecting with a bore scope the R15 cleans up a lot easier, anyone else having the same issue ??
    Matt P

dmoran likes this.
  2. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

I find Varget dirtier than H4895

3. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

Yes. Varget is worse but he wants to know about H4895 and RL15. Order for me goes Varget is hardest, then H4895, then RL15

dmoran and 1911mag like this.
  4. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

I ruined a BRA barrel partly because of H4895 leaving a serious carbon deposit in the grooves. Even with aggressive cleaning, or what I thought was aggressive with Bore Tech products and Iosso, the borescope showed a build-up I could not get out.

My "one and done" experience with H4895 was quite unpleasant.

Loggins J, comagutsa and Rope2horns like this.
  5. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Silver $$ Contributor

I've used a lot of h4895 this year and haven't experienced what you have. I think it's right about 5# down the barrel so far, last I weighed the jug. That barrel with sierras and h4895 cleans up super easy and fast. My other two barrels are running varget and different bullets. They clean pretty easily as well. I did have one issue from nylon brushes with one of the varget barrels. But since I went back to my old routine, and in all the barrels I haven't had an issue. Maybe every one of my bartlein barrels cleans easy, but my barrel last year did as well. When I experimented with rl15, it did seem to carbon fouled quite a bit more, but I clean between relays so no real build up.

Not sure if it's a correlation between barrels or lots of powder. Maybe I've just been lucky. But I do have a bore scope, and use it.

Idaho-Lefty and Down South like this.
  6. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

and then again,Mine gets cleaned after 2 or 3 shots,,don't matter what,,CLEAN

7. mikeeg02

That sure would make a 10 shot record string a b!tch to shoot lol

8. pirate ammo

fast,,you got to be fast,but then again,,I don't shoot like you do,,

dmoran likes this.
  9. mikeeg02

Just teasing buddy. I read that and that was the first thing that came to my mind lol. Not everyone shoots 10 shot strings, some people actually hunt and stuff.

Bc'z and pirate ammo like this.
  10. pirate ammo

we good,,last time I shot mine was maybe 2 months ago,,1 dead pig 300 lb. class,,big target at 23 yards,,take out and clean every week,,maybe not the barrel,but still keep it up ,,

fultonbig9 and mikeeg02 like this.
  11. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

You either get way too bored, have too much time on your hands, or need to shoot more! ;)

12. pirate ammo

I know it,been cutting weeds all day,thinking about ways to torment people,,got 3 on the list right now mailing out stuff out tomorrow,,they will laugh,and maybe share here it will be good
    2 months pig free,got to go find them,,know where to go,,:rolleyes:

Bc'z likes this.
  13. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

I haven’t ruined my BRA barrell yet but heavy carbon snuck up on me in the first couple inches of barrel. I Iosso every 200rnds and bore scope, Barrel is on 1100 rnds and since the last Iosso there is some carbon I can’t remove now..

CaptainMal likes this.
  14. K22

K22

I've used both Varget and H4895 extensively in the 223, 22-250, 243, and 308 for many years. I've never had any problems cleaning nor any drop off in accuracy that I could attribute to a fouled barrel.

I used Dewey bronze brushes and clean after ever 30 rounds.

For many years I used Shooter's Choice solvent and was satisfied with it. But about a year ago I switches to Bore Tech C4, carbon remover (w/ bronze brush) and C2, copper remover (w/ nylon brush). Reason for switch was the odor of Shooter's Choice was bothering wifey. I was impressed with the Bore Tech products performance.

Stan Taylor, Down South and dogdude like this.
  15. Curious

Curious

Ive yet to find a carbon deposit that was harder than a bronze brush, I use a either 6.5mm or .30 cal ProShot brush as the 6mm ones just rattle around in there. Be sensible, dont force a brush down a bore if its resisting aggressively but you will be surprised how easy a 6.5mm or .30 cal will go down and it cleans so much better and also faster.

I have a Hawkeye borescope and in as little as eight full length passes the bore is spotless. I use KG1 carbon remover or BoreTech copper remover if needed. Because I can clean my barrels easily and effectively I never consider how dirty a powder is.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Idaho-Lefty and Rushty like this.
  16. Willow

Willow

Hi Matt,

As you know, I've tried both 4895 and RL15 in mine - accuracy is splitting hairs. I'm finding my Krieger fouls more with RL15, but it seems to clean up well enough with some consistent brushing and plenty of Hoppes #9. Didn't run the BRA in the wind last weekend but if conditions are calmer in a couple of weeks time I'll pay attention to the fouling as I've got a load of 30.4gr RL15 with 103gr Copperheads seated for a 10thou jam prepped and ready to go.

17. fatelvis

fatelvis Silver $$ Contributor

Maybe the copper fouling inhibitors in RL15 really are working?

18. Matt P

Matt P

The fouling is carbon and it sticks to the point of needing an abrasive to remove it, I always use bronze brushes and I've tried all the so called "carbon removers". I probably look down 20 barrels a week and more have carbon fouling than don't. With respect unless you're inspecting with a bore scope you'll never know, many of my customers tell me their barrels are clean till I let them have a look with the Hawkeye.
    Matt P

RDavies, comagutsa, dogdude and 3 others like this.
  19. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

I have 2 borescopes at work don't even use them I let the targets I shoot tell me how clean I should be.

kountryboy2 likes this.
  20. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

Common theme: If you don't use a bronze bristle brush, you may develop a non removable carbon ring.

I shoot a lot, lots of calibers big and small. I have never had a carbon ring that could not be removed with regular cleaning, and I always use a bronze bristle brush. I have a Hawkeye, and some barrels are on their third chamber.

Carbon super heated under pressure becomes diamonds. Super cooked carbon is a monster to remove. If the barrel is considered gone, then last ditch effort should be a bronze bristle brush, with 0000 Steel wool wound in the bristles. Then saturate the brush with JB.

If you powder ring up a barrel, don't blame the powder type, blame your cleaning techniques.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018