Cleaning rod recomendations?

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by TrxR, Jul 24, 2019.

1. TrxR

TrxR

Well good or bad?

Id get an ivy but not available anymore

2. Hi-NV Shooter

Hi-NV Shooter

The new rod that KSS sells, I was told was good. but at $95 each!
    only way you are going to bend a rod is if you try and stuff an over-size patch down the bore.
    this is the reason I switched to using VFG felt pellets, as I can control how tight they are going down the bore, by how much I screw the pellet onto the special jag.

Lee

Mikey_P likes this.
  3. Steve morgan

Steve morgan

Proshot rod I bought bent, because it's soft not hardened. Montana ext. Rods are good , spring steel & coated

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  4. Jeff A

Jeff A Formerly known as BikeEffects Gold $$ Contributor

I am a Pro-Shot guy now. Nothing but good experiences. I don't know how you could bend one in normal use. I got away from the Dewey rods because I wanted a smaller handle.

5. Schutzen2

Schutzen2 Silver $$ Contributor

I have a couple of the micro finish Pro Shots and like them. They make a coated rod but I have no experience with them. The one I use in my 7mm I put shrink wrap on. If it starts fraying on the end I just re-wrap it. It works for me

6. shortine

shortine

I've used the proshots for years, and like them, but I need a new .22 rod. I'm thinking Tipton carbon fiber. Anyone using them? Are they as rigid as stainless pro-shots?

Gerry

7. toothman

toothman Gold $$ Contributor

Another vote for ProShot. They are well made and a good design.

8. waltk

waltk Gold $$ Contributor

Bore Tech or Dewey.

9. TrxR

TrxR

Sadly after some research neither of those will work as the handles are too big .

10. justinp61

justinp61

I've ordered a 44" Bore Tech for my Win. 52's but I'm afraid I'll have to grind the handle to clear the comb. These rifles measure 46" from pad to muzzle.

11. TrxR

TrxR

The 40x is the same. I'm going to try a 42" proshot as the handle is very small.

12. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

Don't yank the cleaning rod back and forth through the bore, easy goes is better feeling with deliberate pushes and pulls.

I have seen guys work a barrel over with a cleaning rod like they were trying to unstop a toilet.

USMCDOC and McGraw like this.
  13. justinp61

justinp61

My Bore Tech rod came today the o.d. of the handle is 1.080", but there is a cushioned sleeve on it. I removed the sleeve and the hard inner handle is .810" so I'm hoping it will clear the comb on my 52's.

USMCDOC likes this.
  14. rmist

rmist

Pro-Shot for sure ! Handles are barely over 1/2". Been using in 22's for awhile with NO issues. As stated above...use a quality bore guide or make one yourself. I have used them in my 28" 40XB and my competition 25.5" barrel with a tuner. Plenty of length being 42".

15. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Ivey is a mom and pop shop. Perhaps they are away for a few weeks. I have two of their rods in Stainless steel and am very pleased with both.

16. TrxR

TrxR

Ive heard that a few people have tried to get ahold of them over the last 6 months or so . I had an email into them for over 3 months and never heard back.

17. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

TrxR-

THAT is not a good sign.

18. Stepsjframe

Stepsjframe

Ivy Stainless steel rod with a guide. I polished the rod to a mirror finish so it has nothing to scratch with. Works very well.

19. TrxR

TrxR

I would go ivy if they were available . They dont seem to be though.

20. Stepsjframe

Stepsjframe

After cleaning and observing rimfire barrels for over a half century, I will offer these opinions, worth what you're paying for them: Get the high quality rod of your choice, material is more marketing than substance. Any rod or barrel can be ruined quickly with improper technique and maintenance. Get a good rod quide, but still exercise caution in your cleaning, nothing is idiot proof. Slow and easy does it, keeping the rod centered. Lastly, assuming no unusual conditions, a good barrel, and good ammo, you should only have to clean your barrel infrequently. If you find accuracy falling off more often than every 500 rounds or so, something is wrong.