Cleaning my new CZ455 22cal.

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Remington243, May 23, 2019.

1. Remington243

Remington243

Starting to clean it for the first time. I hate it. The chamber is so small to get a bore rod with a patch on it. I can't see the chamber because the patch covers it to much. I bought the only bore guide that was available and suggested to use. The Possum Hollow # 92. Not at all what I suspected it would be. It does little to guide the patch into the chamber. The jag, I hate also, has this needle point end to shove the tiny patch onto. The bore guide does not lineup the jag to the chamber.
    So I search, touching and feeling to hit the tiny 22cal hole and finally hit the chamber hole, Looking at the face of the chamber I can see now that my missing the chamber hole has left tiny pin hole marks on the chamber face from the jag needle like point. . Mind you, I'm not
    hitting it hard or jamming it to find the chamber hole. Just doing it gently as I can.
    Is there another jag and another bore chamber guide the will get me better results so I'm not defacing the face of my chamber.
    I hope so.
    Thank you, Bill

2. dc.fireman

dc.fireman Sling & Irons! Silver $$ Contributor

Bill - check with either Champions Choice or Creedmoor Sports; both have a decent supply of bore guides. I prefer the Parker-Hale type jag - you wrap the patch around a lengthwise oriented blunt tipped jag, instead of using the pointy styled jags. It gives a little larger cleaning surface area than the poker method.

3. linekin

linekin Silver $$ Contributor

How does the guide fit your cleaning rod & the action? It shouldn't have any significant play in either.
    The point on the jag isn't the problem.

Keith

K22 likes this.
  4. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

I have the same rifle, same bore guide as you. I have the same problem. I found a polymer jag that won't leave marks. It's still a pain but the polymer won't prick the barrel face.

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

The Possum Hollow CZ455 guide is certainly different in its use than similar Delrin centerfire bore guides, but not to worry, you'll soon become accustomed to it and start hitting the bore every time. I use a .20 cal Dewey carbon fiber rod with my CZ455; it works great. IMO - a .22 cal rod and jag are simply too fat to fit in a .22 rimfire bore easily. For that reason, I also use a .20 cal jag (Tipton Ultra Jag, .20 cal, #589546). With 1 and 1/8th inch square cotton patches (ProShot), it fits plenty tight and does a fine job of cleaning the bore. Although it has a point, I haven't observed any "holes" left by the jag in the breech face.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  6. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Like mentioned above,20 caliber rods help a lot. The right bore guide(Possum Hollow,etc .) is the way to go. I have one jag I turned down a bit,the reduced diameter helps with the tight patch/rod flex .

7. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

8. Remington243

Remington243

All good points guys. I have parker hale jags for my other rifles and their great. I was thinking maybe it would not work on a 22lr. The jag plus a rapped patch around it, would make it to large to fit into the bore. But ill check it out. The possum holler guide is very odd design, it does not protect the barrel chamber face at all. Its is totally exposed to what ever is being pushed thru the guide. You have to see it to know what I mean. I don't like it. Buying another rod ? Their not cheap. The tipton jag is a no go. I don't want any jag that has a needle point. That's the problem im having now.
    The only solution I can think of is a better bore guide like the Tipton bore guide. One that fits right into the chamber. Except Tipton don't make one small enough and not for the Cz455.

tmwinds likes this.
  9. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Mwerks is another that makes bore guides for CZ.

10. Steve morgan

Steve morgan

Buy aluminum jags from Brownells

11. MislMan

MislMan Silver $$ Contributor

If the pointed tip is too sharp for you, then dull the tip to your liking. Use a file or drag the tip on a concrete floor to wear down the tip.

12. K22

K22

If were are talking CZ 22 rim fires be aware that they have tight bores and a 20 cal jag and rod should be used.

I made the mistake of using a 22 cal rod and experienced significant resistance in trying to push the rod through the bore. I called CZ wondering if I had a defective barrel. They told me about using the 20 cal jag and rod. I was quite miffed since their owner's manual didn't state this - that was several years ago - maybe it does now. Once I went to a 20 cal rod it was fine.

I used a Sinclair Bore Guide which fit perfectly but my rifle was a different model than yours - can't remember the model number since I don't have it anymore.

13. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

Yes, you should definitely use a 20-cal rod.

That said... cleaning a .22 LR bore is NOT something you necessarily need to do very often. Some very good scores have been shoot with rimfires with a very high round count between cleanings.

14. mchees1

mchees1

Yes, 20 cal rods are a must because the CZ bores are slightly undersized. I talked to CZ support and found out the bores are about 0.001" smaller diameter than typical .22 bores. I called CZ after trying to clean with my Tipton .22 carbon fiber rod - it felt like it was rubbing and dragging all the way down the barrel. So a .22 cal rod will be very tight. As far a bore guide, I would recommend the Sinclair bore guide (RG452CZ). I also highly agree that you should go to Champions Choice. I went with the VFG felt cleaning tabs for my CZ 457 Varmint MTR, Kidd 10/22, and Azimuth Technologies 10/22 rifles. You can get the adapters needed to use a .20 cal rod (I have the Dewey rod) with the felt system. Once you get set up, you will be able to take care of the bore correctly with no damage to chamber or barrel.

15. Tim s

Tim s

Not to be disagreeable but that opinion will kill you 1000 times more than help you.
    Rarely, if ever, will you ever see, at a high end precision 22 match anybody not cleaning every 50-100 rounds with the exception of a couple custom rifling types, none of which you’ll ever see in production.
    Excepting the rare duck,clean’um.....old legends die hard.
    And after a range session,clean just like aCF, good rod, boreguide, bronze brush, solvent, and GO SLOW. Many a barrel ruined by clowns running that rod down the bore like they’re entered in an olympic rod pushing competition.

16. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

Quote: "Rarely, if ever, will you ever see, at a high end precision 22 match anybody not cleaning every 50-100 rounds with the exception of a couple custom rifling types,none of which you’ll ever see in production."

Well, I have observed just the opposite at ARA rimfire benchrest matches where world records have been set -- in the last 5 years.

And certainly many top shooters avoid using bronze brushes for normal cleaning. However, Eley does recommend bronze for removing lead deposits "after every 200-300 rounds".

One must learn what particular rifles like. Different barrels may have different preferences. We had a new Anschutz biathlon rifle that shot best with lots of rounds through it. Likewise we had an older Suhl that was spectacularly accurate, and you had to get 70-80 rounds into it after cleaning before the accuracy came back. With this man's CZ I would experiment to see what it likes.

Addendum: I just discussed this question with a very successful, champion-level prone shooter, who shoots Anschutz rifles. He recommended cleaning "at the end of a day of shooting" or "after 200-250 rounds", using 3-4 wet patches followed by dry patches. He did NOT think regular bronze brushing was needed with most decent barrels "with a decently smooth bore". He did recommend cleaning and lubing the bolt every couple hundred rounds.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    joshb likes this.