Cleaning Brass with Tarnex?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Darryll, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Darryll

Darryll Site $$ Contributor

I was wondering if anybody on this forum has used Tarnex (The Silver Cleaner) to clean their brass with and if it was successful or not. I'm not sure about Tarnex removing carbon, but it seems to me that it would definitely remove any oxidation. I don't know if it leaves any residue that would be detrimental to the rifle barrel, or how cost effective it would be. I'd like to hear your input. Thanks in advance.
    Darryll

2. CatShooter

CatShooter

It works "OK" on oxidation, but will not remove ash or powder fouling - if you rinse it well, there are no bad after effects.

3. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Site $$ Contributor

There are two things that come to mind about using any such cleaner. First is the obvious of a lot of work. The second is that using any type of liquid solution used to clean casings creates other issues because of the potential chemical reaction under extreme heat and pressure when fired and the residue left UNLESS as Cat says, you wash the casings thoroughly and dry them. Tumblers or vibrator cleaners clean in a dry atmosphere even though I still wipe off each casing with a clean cloth. Personally, the idea of using such cleaners just doesn't get me excited. Just my thoughts.

Alex

4. bayou shooter

bayou shooter F-TR competitor

I keep pads of 0000 steel wool near the loading bench. It's a great thing to use to remove stubborn spots from the brass.

5. ShootDots

ShootDots Site $$ Contributor

After I fire a round, I remove it from the chamber and immediately wipe the neck and a portion of the body with "Krazy-Kloth"... You get it at Sinclair.. It takes less than 3 seconds to wipe a piece of brass... Then when I get home, I toss them in my tumbler / vibrator.. I have that loaded up with treated crushed walnut and corn cob mixture. My brass is always better than new looking... If you anneal, a toss into the tumbler for a few hours and the brass is still looks better than new..

6. CatShooter

CatShooter

Shy...

There is no work when using "Tarnex", it is a clear liquid (looks like water), it just washes the oxide away. And when you rinse the cases in water, it is gone, so there is no work and no chemical problems after cleaning.

But it is VERY expensive for what it does. It goes fast, as opposed to some of the "made for cartridge case cleaning" cleaners, that are reusable over and over.

7. Joe Maisto

Joe Maisto jam711 Site $$ Contributor

Bayou shooter:
    Many of us use 0000 steel wool,as you mentioned. "Crazy cloth "works well too. I chuck my cases into a shell holder in a drill and turn them . The crazy cloth requires you to wipe then off with a dry rag afterwards, Unlike the steel wool. Both do a great job.

8. LIUNA

LIUNA Site $$ Contributor

Have you tried Lucas Metal Polish, it works better than steel wool and cleaner.