Clean powder for 9mm, .45acp & .38 ?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by mousegunner, Apr 1, 2019.

1. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 Gold $$ Contributor

Winchester just came out with a powder that they call winclean 244. It sounds like it's about the same speed as 231 but has a copper fouling eliminator built into it.

Haven't used it myself just happened to see you the bulletin that came from hodgdon today on it.

2. Reloading Guy

Reloading Guy

mtnman31, js2013 and Evlshnngns like this.
  3. Jsjac

Jsjac

I have been using Unique and did not think that it was that dirty . I am using Fiocchi primer but don't think that they are lead free.

I just cleaned my game gun after around 3000 rounds and did not think it was any worse than usual .

4. Reloading Guy

Reloading Guy

Unique is a great powder for 9MM. Underrated probably, if there is such a thing

pacificman likes this.
  5. tomswede

tomswede

For 9mm and being clean VV330 or 340 are hard to beat. 38WC, VV310.

6. pacificman

pacificman

I been using Unique and 2400 for more than 40 years...I suppose there are "cleaner" burning powders
    but in my pistols I get reliable and accurate performance in all of them.:D

dave@aDave likes this.
  7. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

I really wouldn’t us VV310 in 38 WC ammo. It goes from regular pressure to +P pressures with a .1 or .2 grain increase. Way too touchy for me and Vhitavouri no longer recommends it for WC loading. N320 is fine.

8. dburkart

dburkart Gold $$ Contributor

Winchester WAP which is now Ramshot Silhouette is a great powder as well as Power Pistol, both quite accurate.

johnfred1965 and jbarnwell like this.
  9. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman

My personal favorites... hands down.

10. Reloading Guy

Reloading Guy

11. acloco

acloco

Hodgdon HS6 - clean, very accurate, at or near top velocity, double charge results in powder spilling over, and works rather well with 9mm/38sp/357 mag/40 S & W, 44 Mag, & 45 ACP.

12. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

231 is a short step from BE....ugly dirty instead of double ugly.
    I switched to Clay's and love it. I just haven't tried what Ackleyman II suggested.

13. Chris Covell

Chris Covell Silver $$ Contributor

I like HP-38

14. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

Guys, 231 and bullseye are the nastiest thing you can run in a 45, second by only 2400 in a 357 magnum which looks like you dumped corn flakes in your cylinder and barrel.

AA#5 is first just unbelievably accurate, the clean part is the icing on the cake.

AA#7 with full throttle loads in 9 and 40 is a fantastic marriage.

E3 sounds like a good way to go.

15. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

HP 38 or CFE Pistol. work great in all.

16. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

My problem is I've got too many powders. During the shortage a few years back, I'd buy whatever I found at the store so know I've got C110, Unique, 231, Bullseye, Blue Dot, CFE Pistol, N340, Tightgroup and a few others. I'm trying to narrow it down so I'll have only 2-3 pistol powders but right now, I've got a long way to go. Unique isn't the cleanest but it works well for me and I get great results with it.

You mentioned that you've got Tightgroup, it as well as Unique will work well in all three calibers you've mentioned. Start with those two and go from there. As others have mentioned try using the lead free primers as well. Yesterday I loaded 200 rounds of 38 special using Unique. It metered extremely well, no issues whatsoever.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  17. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading

mousegunner et al,
    Please check out our newest pistol powder Sport Pistol(TM). I believe it is pretty much exactly what you are looking for. Sorry I didn't notice this post sooner. Do a search on this and you will see we are really taking off with the pistol game shooters. We basically designed the propellant to duplicate the performance of N320 with improved charging characteristics and better temp stability.
    Regarding 38 Spl, perhaps keep your Bullseye for that. There is no better/more accurate propellant for 38 Spl, and that is why it has survived and thrived for 120 years. Sometimes it is worth dealing with a little residue for best accuracy.
    Shoot well,
    Paul

MrMajestic likes this.
  18. Jammer Six

Jammer Six

Titegroup for the .45. I don't reload .38 or 9, so I don't know about them.

19. Twicepop

Twicepop

Longshot

20. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

Titegroup ( and Bullseye, 700x, WST, and other powders in that speed ) work very well for 38Special and 45ACP particularly with cast bullets. For the 9mm these powders CAN be used but they don’t give as good of a performance as the mid-speed pistol powders like WSF, CFEPistol, Unique, and a bunch more.

Alliant’s new Sport Pistol is a powder that might be a bit on the fast side for good 9mm performance with normal weight bullets. Power Pistol looks like it gives outstanding performance although I haven’t tried it. The bulk of my 9mm usage is of the “Make the Gun Go Bang” variety used in combat pistol training. For that I’ve had good luck with Unique and CFEPistol.