Clean Burning Pistol Powder?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by 300meter, Oct 20, 2012.

1. 300meter

300meter Site $$ Contributor

Was wondering what pistol powder you have found to be the cleanest burning?

Been using Bullseye in my 45 ACP for years, but just tired of the powder residue and smoke. Looking for a much better alternative.

Thanks

2. Cort

Cort Site $$ Contributor

I have used WST and TiteGroup in my .45. Both seem to burn cleaner than Bullseye with maybe the edge going to TiteGroup. I have gone back to Bullseye because that was what was available when I ran out of powder a couple of years ago. At 4.0 grains per load, it takes a while to go through a keg ;-)

Cort

3. bheadboy

bheadboy Site $$ Contributor

AA 5 works well but for acc i still prefer dirty old bull

Bob

4. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Site $$ Contributor

Viht N320 or N340. Very clean at reasonable pressures, and unblieveably low muzzle flash.

5. XTR

XTR Site $$ Contributor

Winchester 231, I used it for yrs shooting USPSA/IPSC, but be advised YOU CAN DOUBLE CHARGE WITH 231 and the results are not pretty. (i.e., spilled blood and broken pistol) Ask me how I know :eek:

6. SteveNC

SteveNC

W-W 231/ HP38. Same powder, same good clean results. Good for all pistol loads and if trying to get a fast velocity in a short barrel. Nice for heavy slow 9mm also.

7. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Site $$ Contributor

I will chime in for 231. It is great for .45 target loads. I have also used Green Dot with great success in .45. Per XTR's point, a double charge of bulky Green Dot will overflow the case. [br]
    In .38 Special with 148 HBWC; I have found nothing better than 2.8 grains of dirty, old Bullseye.

8. fdshuster

fdshuster Site $$ Contributor

Used 4.0 grs. of Bullseye with my cast Hensley & Gibbs bullets (#130 & #68), for 45 years & was never bothered by the slight increase in smoke.

Tried 231 briefly, maybe a little cleaner (?), but always returned to the ever accurate Bullseye. Went thru a lot of 4# cans over that 45 year period, 1960 to 2005.

9. Leaddog

Leaddog F-Class T/R Site $$ Contributor

Been using N320 for 10 years in my 1911's. Best powder I've used.

10. 2506

If you are shooting cast bullets that smoke probably is from the bullet lube. Clays burns really clean.

11. jbarnwell

jbarnwell Site $$ Contributor

Try some Alliant Power Pistol.

12. Jeffvn

Jeffvn

Been there, and then went to H. Clays (NOT International clays). Also tested Alliant Red Dot and Green dot. Both were fine, but clays was teh cleanest burning that I have tried.

Jeffvn

13. CJ6

CJ6 Site $$ Contributor

VV-320 Is what I use in the Sig 220

14. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

Another vote for N320!

I've tried a lot of different powders for the .45 ACP. Bullseye works but it is very dirty (both smoke out the barrel and powder fouling on case). Tite-Group burns clean but it leaves a nasty burn streak on your brass that is hard to remove. AA #5 is a good choice for progressive press newbies as you use more powder so a double charge will (usually) be obvious. Clays burns clean but accuracy was average in my.45 acps. WW 231 offered excellent accuracy and metered well, but it kicked out sparks with little pieces of debris that would hit me in the face. Who wants that?!

N320
    • No powder was more accurate (WW 231 was equally accurate)
    • Meters very well
    • Very little smoke from muzzle
    • Does not put nasty burn streak on brass like Tite-Group does
    • No particles and sparks flying out like WW 231
    • Cases come out from gun very clean -- so you can tumble less often

15. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Site $$ Contributor

I first started using N320 after my first night shoot, while shooting IDPA/IPSC matches. It was astonishing how much of a fireball the 231 created. I was literally blinded by the flash while trying to shoot a match. As you can imagine, that didn't work out very well. I went from 231 to N320 and never looked back...and the flash from it was a fraction of what a kid's sparkler would give off. I have nothing but good things to say about it after using both. Night shoots are a real eye opener, when it comes to a personal protection perspective, as there is statistically a very high chance that if you ever have to use a gun to protect yourself or your family, it'll be in the darkness of night or in your home. Being blinded by muzzle flash, and deafened by the noise are things that should be considered, IMO. I'm not recommending loading your own for PP either, as lawyers can and have turned that against the person in court. Hornady makes a good PP load for most calibers, where muzzle flash is greatly reduced.