Classification question.

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Drolds72, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Drolds72

Drolds72 Gold $$ Contributor

Since I have started shooting midrange my scores are 1168/1200, 738/800, and 781/800. None of these have hit the nra classification lookup. So, when I go to my next midrange match, am I a master from the first 120, or do I shoot as unclassified?

2. Dub

Dub NRA Life member Gold $$ Contributor

Until you receive your classification you shoot unclassified

Immike likes this.
  3. Drolds72

Thank you very much!

4. skibar_tx

skibar_tx

If you want to check if you have been entered into the NRA classification system, you can to go:

nrahq.org
    competitive shooting
    championship and tournament calendars
    (menu) shooter classification lookup

You will need your NRA number to access the file. On the same note, if you want to see when/where/score of previous matches in your NRA competitive shooting career, on that last menu select "competitor activity". You will need your NRA number to access that info also.

5. Drolds72

Yep. Been there, and the first match that I shot back in feb, is not there yet. Shot them an email, but was wondering about the class because the next match I am shooting in, might actually have a prize per class, and that got me curious.

6. creedfan

creedfan Silver $$ Contributor

it sounds like the match director may not have turned your scores in

Snuggie and TerryH like this.
  7. skibar_tx

skibar_tx

If the matches are approved or registered, and the match program is for the entire year (like a monthly match, every month) then the match director isn't required to file a match report until the end of the year (for the entire year). Most match directors file a report monthly just to get ahead. However, with each report the match director sends in, a check for the NRA fees must be included. It is a chore to be a match director, there is so much that needs to be done in front of matches and after the matches are recorded. They certainly don't get the recognition they deserve.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Nature Boy, rardoin, spclark and 4 others like this.
  8. Ringostar

Ringostar

This isn't entirely true. The match directors should have temporary classification books. Once you shoot your first match, you can fill in your score vs possible score. Then your allowed to enter in class by the scores that you have until you get enough rounds turned in for proper classification. Just ask for the book from your director.

AAA, Dgd6mm and Dub like this.
  9. corning

corning

Actually, unless the rules have changed, he would be shooting with a temporary classification based on the scores shot. On the basis of that, he would be shooting as a Master.

19.14 Score Record Book—(Temporary Classification)-A competitor who does not have a regular NRA High Power Rifle classification will obtain an NRA “Score Record Book” from the Official Referee, Supervisor, or Tournament Statistical Office, or from the Secretary of a sanctioned league, in which he will enter all his High Power Rifle scores fired in NRA sanctioned individual and team competition of the types defined in Rule 1.6 subparagraphs (c) through (h) inclusive. The total of all scores so recorded, divided by the number of 10-shot strings represented, will be the competitor’s average for temporary classification in accordance with Table II below. Scores from at least one complete tournament (Rule 1.1) or league match (Rule 1.6(h)) are required in order to establish an initial temporary classification. The Score Record Book and any such temporary classification are superseded when the competitor’s regular classification becomes effective.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  10. skibar_tx

skibar_tx

Again, do you think any of that really happens, or you will be able to get that info! Really??? Just live with unclassified until you are classified. Otherwise, you will only piss off people. There is no money dished out in classifications, you either win or you don’t.

11. skibar_tx

skibar_tx

The thing about classifications, you are rarely happy with your current classification. You either want to be a higher classification, or you feel like you are classified higher than your shooting capabilities currently. Nobody is happy with their classification, including those in the unclassified state. When an unclassified shooter is finally classified, he still won’t be happy! Disregard anything to do with classifications, go out and shoot your best at each match. It will work itself out.

Immike likes this.
  12. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

Classification is a primary goal but will pass to new goals, like winning the match!
    Unless your old and crazy like skip and me, we just enjoy a well ran match with great people.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Dgd6mm and skibar_tx like this.
  13. Dos XX

Dos XX Bystanders Should Also Wear Safety Goggles Gold $$ Contributor

I am very happy with my classification. It's my shooting that I'm not happy with.

Rope2horns, Dgd6mm, TerryH and 4 others like this.
  14. Drolds72

All good stuff here! Only other thing I was able to figure out after I asked the question, was that unclassified shooters get put in the master bracket anyway. Non event for me I guess. That first match I shot was of the registered monthly club flavor. Guess I will just be patient. And yeah, the directors work their asses off and don’t even get to shoot!

15. DR_2297

DR_2297

NRA competitions has a lot of new blood and they appear to be behind. I sent them an email last week because it has been 7 months and I still haven’t received my HM certificate and pin for MRP and the team scores we fired last December are still not entered, only individual. It has been almost a year since NRA decided to redo team national records and none of those are filled out either...

AFAIK NRA doesn’t really care about high power. The big money action shooting disciplines are their main focus these days. We are a nuisance.

16. TerryH

TerryH

To sum up the way I've been shooting lately using the words of that great prophet Rodney Dangerfield... "I have no class"...even though I have a card that says Master. :D

skibar_tx likes this.
  17. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

'There is one thing not covered .
    The scores must be turned in to the NRA with in the Match time frame.. If your scores go in say 2 months after the Match they may not go in for your Classification ?
    If you have No classification you can enter at anything you want . The right thing is a Unclassified Master till you get a card..

Drolds72 likes this.
  18. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Gold $$ Contributor

Incorrect. A shooter may not enter a match.as a High Master unless he or she is in fact classified as such.

In regards to all the consternation about the lack of classification...the NRA Comp division is slow as shit. It almost certainly had nothing to do with your match director.

If you want fast classification changes and good data, go shoot Trap...

...otherwise, get used to it, keep your own records carefully, and do what you feel is right until you DO have a card. Except HM. Gotta have that one.

Snuggie and chkunz like this.
  19. corning

corning

More appropriate would be Rodney Dangerfield's immortal words: "I get no respect..."

TerryH and pirate ammo like this.
  20. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

Many people get classified higher than they can perform on other ranges often and so they start traveling to challenge themselves.

ballisticdaddy, pirate ammo and sdean like this.