Clamp on muzzle break

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by nmkid, Jun 4, 2018.

1. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Just noticed an ad from Witt Machinery on the forum advertising clamp on muzzle brake. So, what are the feelings on clamp on breaks? https://www.wittmachine.net/

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  2. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

They fly quite well down range. Lol. Sorry, just could not resist. :D:D I personally would not use one for fear of a bullet strike. A threaded shoulder is much preferred for alignment. :)

Paul

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    284winner, okie and savagedasher like this.
  3. rammac

rammac

A brake needs to be aligned with the center of the bore and the Witt brake assumes that the bore is centered in the barrel - this isn't true in all barrels. Yes, most barrels using today's manufacturing processes will have the center of the bore aligned with the central axis of the barrel's outside surface but due to errors in tooling or manufacturing it's not always true. That being said, screwed on brakes can also be misaligned so in that regard neither style of brake is necessarily better than the other. But clamp on brakes do have a reputation for coming off while screwed on brakes don't, if your barrel profile is tapered to the muzzle rather than having the barrel's outside diameter be consistent where the brake would fit then I'd say that there is a better chance that the brake will work loose.

So if I had a consistent outside diameter for the last 3 or 4 inches of the barrel length and I didn't want to spend the money or time to have my barrel threaded then I'd probably buy a clamp on brake.

4. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

Anyone ever seen this happen? I witnessed a suppressor fly down range.

boltfluter likes this.
  5. BW64

BW64

I have 2. Over 4000 rounds combined & never had a "bullet strike" or a trip down range.

BW

6. mr.big

mr.big

I bet that made someone physically ill ..

7. Dgd6mm

Yeah, and it got shooters attention real quick.

8. Dgd6mm

Well I bet I've seen hundreds of guys shooting suppressed, at 200 shooters ,at 100 rounds per which I know it's been more simply by RO'ing....20,000 + rounds easily.... it happens....