Checking formed Dasher brass?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by rrflyer, Jan 3, 2018.

1. rrflyer

rrflyer

Guys just got my setup for 6 dasher.

I'm forming lapua brass
    Creating false shoulder with .264 expander
    Varget and 105s .01 into the lands.

I guess my bug question is on the false shoulder. I setup my sizing due to where I get resistance the entire time in closing the bolt.

After shooting is there some way I can make sure I im not screwing the brass up?

dmoran likes this.
  2. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

Measure the "blow" lengths (OAL). If not getting consistency in lengths of the formed cases, there will be variation in the cases (primarily volume) that can effect accuracy - IME
    Donovan

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  3. Matt P

Matt P

If they come out the same or longer in length, that's no good !!! IMO means it's pulling brass from the web area.
    Shorter and consistant in length, all good.
    Matt P

ledward and dmoran like this.
  4. 260 Ravage

260 Ravage

Addressing your big question: I ,too, prefer the false shoulder method where there is strong resistance thru the process of bolt closing. My case aol measurements come out fairly close. I Prefer the cream of method, instead of using bullets. I do anneal after creating the false shoulder prior to fire forming. Then anneal after the fire forming. I have never lost a case to splitting necks or shoulders, which I attribute to annealing. You'll be fine.

5. edw

edw Silver $$ Contributor

What is your Cream of Wheat powder and grains if I might ask?

6. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Your virgin BR cases will have a .001" extreme spread in length. Your fireformed cases should have the same extreme spread.

Tom

dmoran likes this.