Chassis rifle in the rain

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by fatelvis, Jun 14, 2019.

1. fatelvis

fatelvis Silver $$ Contributor

Just wondering how you guys handle getting caught in the rain with a rifle having a free float barrel, covered by a handguard, (AR15 style)to prevent rust. A lot of inaccessible books and crannies to dry and oil! I really don’t want to remove/replace the handguard. Thanks

2. Kurz

Kurz

In my experience, there is no replacement for removing the hand guard and wiping down your rifle. I blow mine off with an air hose (having a shop compressor has it's benefits), then remove all the parts which might hold water, then wipe it down completely. Hit it with air gun again and apply a light coat of oil. The same process applies when you come in from the cold to a warm house or outbuilding. Condensation can and will ruin a firearm if not treated.

miningshawn likes this.
  3. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Gold $$ Contributor

Under the guards, I let it rust, if I has to.

I shoot the guns, not fondle them, and no longer than a barrel lasts me, even if it's CM, a little surface rust in an invisible place, that does not affect function or shootability... well, that's just not high on my priority list.

An option for you, if you ARE a worrier: coat that part of the barrel. Even simple rattlecan will bead rain and help it run off. And if you paste waxed it, it would probably outlast the barrel, unlss you get it very hot.

4. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

I am a fair weather shooter who lives in Arizona. Rain, what's that.

azmetalman and Down South like this.
  5. eric32

eric32 Shooting when I can Gold $$ Contributor

Heat it up. A blow dryer/heat gun should do the trick, or a quick oven bake at a low temp if your crazy about it but i wouldnt mind rust is like a worn paint job shows character and that it actually goes outside.

natdscott likes this.
  6. Kurz

Kurz

Firearms are tools just like other tools whether for carpentry, plumbing, or machining. My grandfather taught me to respect and care for your tools and they would never let you down. Ignoring rust and other, even superficial damage is a sign of laziness and disrespect for your tools. Take care of your tools and they will continue to work with you for years.

boltfluter likes this.
  7. eric32

eric32 Shooting when I can Gold $$ Contributor

Smart and lazy make the best leaders. I am smart enough to understand USE vs ABUSE.

Dgd6mm and natdscott like this.
  8. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Gold $$ Contributor

Kurz, I respect your opinion, but lazy about my tools, I am not; you don't know me well enough to insinuate that I am. My grandfather did two tours in Europe and the Phillipines keeping machines running, and kept 2 AC and 2 Int'l tractors running for 60 years...when we sold them, the new owners drove all four onto their trailers. We know how to take care of things where they need it.

I went HM, Distinguished, P100, and a bunch State wood with ONE upper, and lower.

I didn't have so much as an extra bolt for the gun because I couldn't afford it. I ate PB&J in the motels because a cheeseburger and beer would have overdrafted my account, and because the rifle was wet and grungy from the day...it gets taken care of before I even shower. Ask any of the Indiana guys.

You better believe I take care of my stuff. Sometimes the "stuff" is the only one.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  9. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

Ar's are by nature a work tool. As such they are designed to function under the very worst of conditions. I have never seen any evidence of rust on any AR. There are at least 20 in my family alone.

10. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Pre-rain...Ballistol and water mixture in a spray bottle...put it on as heavy as you like...drip dry for a few minutes and then a air hose or blow dryer.

11. Daddymac

Daddymac Gold $$ Contributor

Nothing wrong with a judicious cleaning, if it bothers you, take care of it, WD-40 and an air hose works great for what you described. Firearms are tools, they are designed to function under all types of conditions, but even the most robust tool needs a wipe down on occasion, the answer lies somewhere between treating it like a newborn baby and dragging it behind the truck. To put it into perspective, when you go to the pawn shop or used gun rack, the guns you don't even look at are the guns that never got cleaned, even though they may function just fine.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  12. David101

David101

perhaps a spray with the Wax Chain Lube as used on motor bikes. They are really designed to be sticky and provide great protection

13. LoganDon

LoganDon

What do you mean no rain - the monsoons are coming and may drop 1-2" this year. Don, Kingman AZ