Cerakote flutes a different color?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by mram10, Oct 9, 2017.

1. mram10

mram10 Silver $$ Contributor

So I cerakoted the barrel and tried blue painters tape over the barrel, used a marble to scrub the flutes and the tape wouldn't cut. I then tried some thin tan masking tape. Still no luck. Tried tape and a razor following the flutes ... no luck. How on earth do you mask the flutes? Thanks

2. gat

gat Silver $$ Contributor

Are you trying to remove the tape from the flute and leave the tape on the barrel or vice versa? You can fill the flutes with plumbers putty and then scrape the excess from the barrel with a plastic scraper! When you paint the barrel then just roll the putty out when the paint is dry!

3. mram10

Barrel is done, just want to paint the flutes

4. gat

gat Silver $$ Contributor

did you wrap the barrel with tape or run the tape lengthwise down the barrel?

5. mram10

Ran the tape lengthwise with minimal overlap.
    Want 2 tone, not stainless. That would be too easy

6. NickB1075

NickB1075 Gold $$ Contributor

You couldn't cut the tape with a razor? Another thing you may want to look into is a thinner tape. I use 3m fine line automotive pinstripe tape for my delicate masking. They have many different widths. Then there are also some high temp masking vinyl tapes. Coat the flutes first then mask them then coat the barrel. I have not done what you are attempting just giving some ideas of how I would try approaching it.

Nick

7. mram10

Bolt, no worries. The tape/marble method seems to be the most efficient method I've found, but the key is the ease of cutting the tape and the size of the marble. Razors take forever. Tried that

8. X Ring Accuracy

X Ring Accuracy Site $$ Sponsor

Marble

EMcKissack likes this.
  9. Danny1788

Danny1788

I used a steel ball bearing to roll the tape in the flute. Then I used a larger bearing to make sure the lip was sealed on the edge of the flute. Then used a thin hobby or that kinda of type razor knife to cut the excess off. Very very time consuming and only did it once.