CCI 450's vs CCI BR4's

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Hawkeye, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Hey Guys, Would like to know what is working for you in the 6.5x47 Lapua. Which is better the CCI 450's or the CCI BR4's? Have quite a few of the BR4's.Like to have some input on your all's testing. Thanks.

2. ThunderDownUnder

ThunderDownUnder

I wasted quite few rounds working up a load for my 6.5x47L and tested both CCI BR4 and 400 small rifle primers. I shot all my loads thru a CED M2 chrono and found no appreciable difference in velocity between them.

I had the same spread and SD with both and tested using Varget,AR2208) and H4350,AR2209) powders. In the end I went with 41.8gr of AR2209 with the CCI 400 primers for 2923fps with Berger 130gr VLDs.

I have not used the CCI 450 primers but if they are a magnum primer then maybe you would gain a few fps over the standard primers. Maybe someone else can help out with a 450/BR4 comparison.

3. AckleymanII

AckleymanII

The 450 is a hotter primer than the CCI BR-4. It does have the extra thick cup as the BR-4.

4. topwater225

topwater225

I've tried both and still have both in my cabinet, and now I just use what I happen to grab as there has been no noticable difference in my .204.

5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Thanks Guys, that's what I want to hear. If anyone has had issues with the BR4's, would like to hear them. I've got quite a few of them and the 1000 is a long way to have issues.

6. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

FWIW,

The CCI 450 is much cheaper than the BR4s. We tested both in a 6BR rail gun a while back and the differences were not notable. Though we really didn't do a large enough test,which would involve 100 rounds each). Point is, one was not demonstrably better than another with Varget or 4895 as indicated by 25 rounds with each. YMMV.

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye

The BR4's have performed well in the past. Trying to come up with the "so called" perfect round and load is just two parts of a vast configuration. With the multiple combinations of powders, primers, bullets, not to mention case preparation, making the ultimate combination to give you the accuracy needed to win a match or set a new world record takes a great amount of effort. Thank you all for your help!