Cases Mouth Flaring

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Barossa_222, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Barossa_222

Barossa_222

Hi all. I've never come across this in all the years and with all the brass I've ever bought. Jumped in a purchased a 17 rem after wanting one for years. Here in Australia it can be problematic getting components, but managed to get hold of 200 pieces of new Remington brass. I get them home only to find the cases have an outward flare on the case mouths and quite a pronounced lip. Wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Attached Files:

2. AJC

AJC

I have seen that for loading lead cast bullets.

mikeinct likes this.
  3. mikeinct

mikeinct

You are definitely going to have to put a light chamfer on the OD of those case necks before you lube & size them. If you have any trouble sizing those , say split necks or crumpling during sizing. Those may need to be annealed before using. I wish you luck...Mike in Ct

4. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

I have never seen it on new brass, but I have seen it when sizing a case neck down. Like from 7-08 to 243 Win.

rardoin and 243winxb like this.
  5. chkunz

chkunz Gold $$ Contributor

There is something bad wring here! What else may be wrong with this brass?

6. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Was the guy you got them from using them for shooting lead bullets ? Slowly run them into your sizing die and it should take the flare out. But check length after and you may have to trim, then, of course, chamfer in and out on the mouth.

7. 243winxb

243winxb

Not on any new brass.
    But running a 308 case into a 243 fl bushing die, no bushing installed, then , yes, seen it.

Wonder if Rem started with 223 brass , then formed it to 17 Rem brass? While pushing shoulder back?

Someone returned the brass back to tne store and resold? Looks a little like a Lee universal expander was used

rardoin likes this.
  8. Barossa_222

Barossa_222

This brass has come straight from the Remington distributor here in Australia. I'm going to email Remington about it, but can't imagine they will do too much. They were in sealed up rem bags and it's not just one or 2 either, it's the whole batch. I ran the chamfer on a couple, but this barely touches it. I'm going to try running one through the full length resizer. If this shows no improvement I'll be taking them back or I'll have to neck turn the lip off. I suppose I could cut them back using a case trimmer, but they are all within 2 thou of trim length.

9. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

That brass does NOT look like new brass. It looks like brass that has been fired, resized and wrongly to boot.

WyleWD likes this.
  10. Barossa_222

Barossa_222

It's one hundred percent new brass. All of the Remington brass I have ever bought here has looked the same minus the flared mouths. I have bags of 222 brass at home and it looks identical to this stuff. Maybe we are getting sent the scraps.

11. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox

I Still have new 17Rem brass here and none of it looks like that. That's enough flare they might not enter your sizing die. You will have to run them up in your seater slowly and carefully to squeeze the flare down. My guess is that flaring was done by someone for some reason after the brass left the manufacturing facility.

WyleWD likes this.
  12. Barossa_222

Barossa_222

They don't go into my saturn powder funnel. They haven't been changed or modified by anyone but Remington. They came sealed in the original Remington bags. I have emailed the distributor here in Australia and sent Remington an email with the photos and will wait to see what they say.

mikeinct likes this.
  13. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

I have seen it after improper tumbling.

14. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

I'd avoid turning the bells off, if only 'cause doing that will leave you with a knife-sharp as well as too short neck. From your pic the degree of deformation to my eye is greater than the neck thickness? (What's the OD at the bell end & neck ID deep enough in to be close to bullet diameter?)

That belling ought to be "resizeable" though you may need a bushing or two bigger in ID than the one you'd normally employ or risk crushing necks.

Sure is an oddity though, never seen anything like that in "factory new" packaging. Splits, folds, dents & dings yes but not that....

mikeinct likes this.
  15. WyleWD

WyleWD Gold $$ Contributor

What do the cases measure in length right out of the package?

If they were too long I might try to trim them down, but the supplier should replace them with correct dimensions or at least workable. GEEZ.

I've never seen that on any new brass either. WD

16. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve

that's a coo coo

17. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

That brass is a mess!

18. divingin

divingin Gold $$ Contributor

I'd be curious to know how "improper" you need to be tumbling to get flared case mouths on every case...

Barossa_222 likes this.
  19. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

Just trim the cases to minimum length and chamfer the case mouth well and then full length resize.

You could also try a Lee collet die and see if it irons out the case mouth flaring and then trim and chamfer.

I have seen the same thing happen after full length resizing and thought the expander was hitting the peened case mouth after wet tumbling.

Below on the left is a case that was wet tumbled far to long and has a peened case mouth. This case had been trimmed, deburred, fired and then wet tumbled and no longer has a sharply defined case mouth. And the case on the right is right out of a new bag of Winchester cases and even has more case mouth peening.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  20. Frostbite

Frostbite

Try running them part way up your seater die like Iowa Fox suggested. The crimp ring might push the excess inward without collapsing the necks. Good Luck