Case head separation case removal

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by jsthntn247, Jun 14, 2017.

1. stifffingers

stifffingers

Case head separation is caused by too much headspace. a friend of mine was bumping his shoulders back six to eight thou and after several times he blew the head off the case. His gunsmith corrected him. My friend has been reloading PPC Benchrest for years but somehow his die screwed down by accident.

2. fguffey

fguffey

He should get his money back; my dies are designed to return the case to minimum length meaning the ability of the die to shorten the case from the shoulder to the case head is limited. I am a reloader/case former etc.. I understand no one on this forum understands what that means but I measure the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face first, after sizing a case for a chamber I know how much clearance I have before pulling the trigger. Reloading for me is easier than for most because my cases do not have head space.

I would have suggested your friend learn to measure the length of the case from the shoulder to the case head, Had he been able to measure the length of the case from the shoulder to the case head before firing and gain after firing he would have had an ideal how much clearance he had before firing.

F. Guffey

3. fguffey

fguffey

That sounds catchy but one day reloaders will put a little thought into what happens when the trigger is pulled. One more time: I chambered a case in one of my rifles and then pulled the trigger, there was .127" clearance between the shoulder of the case and shoulder of the chamber. All reloaders know a case will not stretch .127" without case head separation, my cases did not stretch, the shoulder did not move and my cases did not suffer case head separation.

F. Guffey

4. hunter243sgk

hunter243sgk

Why are you always trying to sound like you are the only one who knows anything? If you would not come off as being so arrogant more people might pay more attention to your posts!!

Ggmac likes this.
  5. fguffey

fguffey

If you do not understand what I said simply say "I do not understand" and then there is that part I do not understand; why do you seem to be so angry?

Many years ago I said Hatcher was a wildcatter, reloaders claim they read Hatcher. I claim if they read Hatcher they did not understand what he wrote. I know, that angered them but it did not motivate anyone to go back and read what he wrote. I fired a case with .127" clearance, he fired a case with .70" clearance, he did not experience case head separation and I did not suffer case head separation. And then? There are reloaders that believe the case has head space, I don't because SAAMI said my cases do not have head space (again, we have a member that called SAAMI, I can only guess he tried to overwhelm them with his accomplishments but they did not take him semiseriously and they did not add the symbol for head space to their case drawings.

Moving the shoulder? Reloaders have got it down to bumping, I try to get them to think but they insist on repeating mindless and meaninglessly terms like moving the shoulder back in any form. I am the only reloader that can move the shoulder back but when I move the shoulder on the case back I upset the case body below the shoulder, I am so good at it I have turned the case body into a bellows or a case that resembles an accordion.

Anyhow Hatcher said everyone knows a case can not be stretched between the case head and case body .060" meaning when a case is fired in a chamber with .060" clearance the case will suffer case head separation. PROBLEM!! Hatcher did not suffer case head separation and I my cases with .127" clearance did not suffer case head separation.

And then that brings up to the West Texas smith that build 4 magnificent rifles all with wildcat chambers. He made the reamer etc. and suffered 5 case head separations out of the first 10 cases he fired. I told him I could have told him that would happen before he left the shop, I told him I could have fixed the problem before he left the shop and I told him I could have met him at the range and fixed the problem long enough for him to fire form his cases and I told him I could have told him how much clearance he had before he pulled the trigger. It is not my fault no one understands what I am talking about.

F. Guffey

6. GenePoole

GenePoole

Use the "ignore" option.

7. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

@fguffey - I don't understand... but do grasp your ignorance... you ARE the only one

8. fguffey

fguffey

Try encouraging those that do know everything to demonstrate they know everything. The builder of the bench rest type rifles has a long list of resource smiths that could not help him. There is a good chance I was not the first person he called. Before I could help him I had to decide if what he wanted could be done. I furnished all of the tools.

Thank you, I can only guess you have never noticed I have never found it necessary to purchases a small base die, I own small base dies, I have small base that are so small based they are useless. When I find a case that whips my press I can tell you by how much. All other reloaders start to grind the shell holder and or bottom of the die when the case has more resistance to sizing then the press, die, shell holder and lube can overcome.

And then there are those mean ol' machine gun fired cases.

F. Guffey

9. hammerjack

hammerjack Silver $$ Contributor

I may have to start sending all my brass to the Guffman to get the proper headspace set on them with his hot air headspace gauge.

10. GrocMax

GrocMax

It depends on what the meaning of the word is, is.

I did not have headspace relations with that rifle.

hunter243sgk likes this.
  11. Mozella

Mozella

Are you quite sure about that?

12. hunter243sgk

hunter243sgk

No anger here!! And no sir i sure do not understand you. But you keep on with your .127 clearence and all the rest of that stuff if it makes you happy.

13. fguffey

fguffey

hunter243sgk, "And no sir I sure do not understand you", and that is OK; again my cases do not have head space, I use the length of the case from the shoulder to the case head to off set the length of the chamber. Reloaders have claimed the firing pin drives the case forward until the shoulder of the case collides with the shoulder of the chamber. If that statement was true all of my cases with .127" clearance would suffer case head separation. Instead of case head separation my necks get shorter and the distance from the shoulder of the case to the case head increases.

I understand why the case necks gets shorter, I understand why the case gets longer from the case head to the shoulder, most reloaders believe the shoulder moves, if the shoulder moves the case stretches between the case head and case body. I am the fan of cutting down on all that case travel.

F. Guffey

14. Someoldguy

Someoldguy

This guy would be amusing IF he wasn't so persistently obtuse.

IGNORE button it is.

15. Shaggy357

Shaggy357

Brass brush, nylon brush, dry patch, homemade extractor....In order of preference for removing separated cases. The hornet cases were the ones that were most temperamental. Made an extractor from a T-handled allen wrench. The long T-Handled allen wrenches are cheap at places like Harbor Freight. Run a threading die about half inch up to create some threads, insert into case, twist, pull. Usually come right out. I use a pistol cleaning rod with the brushes. Keep them handy in my shooting box.

Hopefully this will bring the thread back on point.