Carry boxes or cases for ELR 40 lb category rifles

Discussion in 'Practical Precision--PRS, NRL, ELR' started by VaRandy, Mar 1, 2018.

1. VaRandy

VaRandy

Now that many more are considering serious ELR rifles, the problem arises as to how to carry them safely. Certainly not by air travel, I see a market for something all new that has minimal weight to cradle these big rigs in an upright position for travel in ATV, Vans, and Pickups. Could be made of aluminum, carbon fiber, ??. If not exotic mature would likely be a minimized frame with all unnecessary materiel removed (skelotonized). Maybe similar to construction of a milk carton? Some may want wheels on one side for easy access and loading. If there is not such a thing, let's hear some of your ideas for them. Trust me, carrying these boys requires planning and care.

2. retired

retired

small mule
    people ship large gun cases all the time by air.
    think big game hunting around the world
    more than not, more than one rifle.

3. VaRandy

VaRandy

What is a small mule? I am talking rifles up to 60 lbs with a fortune in glass atop and up to 36 inch barrel or more. If an airline took it, it would be more than a first class seat. Almost no one will trust such a high dollar specialized rifle by air or ground for that matter and expect it to work on the other end (if they did not lose it). These are being transported by 4 tires and it will be growing in numbers and trips.

4. retired

retired

your OPINION, not mine.
    i have worked in the airport shipping biz.

5. VaRandy

VaRandy

Whatever the hell that means.

6. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Silver $$ Contributor

I've transported rifles that weigh up to 110 Lbs. for a good while now - have traveled coast to coast.
    I build my own transport cradle / stretcher for these big guns. - I use quality wood, screws, and loc-tight contractors glue to build them - I support the rifle in 4 or 5 places, I use flat type protector bags at all the contact points. - I also have tie-downs to hold it on the transport cradle. - The cradle has handles on each end (like a stretcher). I use a heavy scope-coat on my scopes, then cover he whole thing with a blanket & put the tie-downs on it. - Wife on one end, me on the other, into the vehicle which has tie-downs for the cradle. - Not the only way to transport, just how I do it with some guns. - Some others I have Americase heavy duty aluminum cases with rolling wheels. - 50 Lb. gun no problem - There are a couple of specialty companies (google is your friend) that build them - There not cheap but they do provide great protection.
    Americase is in Waxahachie, Tx - They have a "standard product line" & can do customs. - And it is fully lockable & FAA approved.

- Ron -

Zero333 likes this.
  7. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

I have the Americase two long gun that lays them upright side by side. I had the exterior rhino lined shortly after buying it. The lining saved a careless baggage handler in Harare's life. I was standing on the ground when he tossed it off the plane onto the tarmac. He would not come out of the baggage compartment. It has survived three trips to Africa, twice by SAA. This case is all you will ever need. They understand what it takes to survive airline flights.

Zero333 and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  8. dougridgeore

dougridgeore

This is not for everyone... however ?
    I use a thru the action T handle and a custom T handle barrels clamp block to unscrew the barrel. With this setup I don’t remove the stock or scope from the action (It’s amazing how little the POI actually moves, even from one caliber barrel to another) and just put the T handles and (38”)barrels in one Pelican case and action with stock and scope in another Pelican case

Zero333 likes this.
  9. Geno C

Geno C

10. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

I think what @retired meant is some of the trophy hunters ship two or three rifles plus accessories in one case that ends up weighing 40+ lbs. It's not uncommon for the very wealthy to own hunting rifles that cost $ 50k +.

11. JFW

JFW Gold $$ Contributor

567535027.jpg 567535027.jpg 20180914_113459.jpg 20180914_113444.jpg Screenshot_20190812-210544_Chrome.jpg
    Take 2 of these guns on planes all the time. Southwest 100lbs. Or less. Extra fee of course . Guns 41lbs.

12. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

13. ELR Researcher

ELR Researcher Gold $$ Contributor

That case is the "baby brother" of the one I had - http://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=9&pid=168 I note that you were packing a folder, as I was - mine with a 45" barrel. HEAVY!!!

Actually, what I recommend today are custom made shipping boxes - double wall cardboard with an inch of dense foam glued in all the way around. Cost well under $100, are very reusable, and are well worth consideration. They are made by local packaging stores that do packing of antiques, e.g., grandfather clocks and priceless, inlaid chess table, to ship all over the world. If you are in the Los Angles area, I can recommend one.

PhilKeil and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  14. PRR1957

PRR1957

If I saw a baggage handler toss my precious items from an airliner cargo compartment because they were lazy or incompetent, I would be suing the airline even if there was no damage to the containce inside the case.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  15. Dud

Dud

If you can find a case that will fit, you can make a custom interior out of Kaizen foam that will rival the quality of custom molded or die cut padding.

My rifles aren't that heavy but they have Arca rails under the barrel, I'll probably figure out a way to grab there and pad everything else with Kaizen.

If I want to try to fit anything heavy in to the case beside the rifle, I'll make a divider.

For wheeled transport, I might try the same Arca clamp idea inside some sort of sleeve or cage.