Carbon ring ?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Gman, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Gman

Gman Site $$ Contributor

What is the best product and method, to remove a carbon ring in the throat area of my barrel ? I've never dealt with this before. Thanks

2. tclaunch

tclaunch

Iosso bore paste with a nylon brush, spun by hand with a short pistol rod. Iosso is by far the best stuff for stubborn carbon I have tried.

3. shooter63

shooter63 Site $$ Contributor

i also use that & wipe out with accelator mix every 75 rds. or so plus leave your cases nks. as long as possible this will decrease the forming of those nasty rings some regards shooter63

4. rcw3

rcw3 Site $$ Sponsor

JB or USB bore paste - I have never seen anything but an abrasive that will properly deal with that.
    Robert

5. fdshuster

fdshuster Site $$ Contributor

I also believe in the abrasive, scrapping action of JB ( or IOSSO), but with a bronze brush. You need the stiff bristles to get into the corners where the lands meet the grooves. It is the most difficult to remove from there.

Turning the brush clockwise on a non-rotating pistol cleaning rod will rip it out of the chamber mouth area in a very short time.

All this verified with my Hawkeye borescope.

6. pmarauder

pmarauder Site $$ Contributor

Is there a possibility that a bronze brush being rotated in the chamber area can lose some bristles which may get caught in your lug recess area? Or would a stiff Nylon (MT Extreme) brush work just as good??

The reason i ask, Is i had a serious carbon problem over the weekend at a match. I didnt discover the problem until after shooting our Saturday targets. I used Franks approach to the carbon with bronze and Iosso paste. It definitely gets the carbon out....Took about an hour of scrubbing and patching it out. Much better results on Sundays targets.
    Thanks

7. fdshuster

pmarauder: I've never seen a trace ( not even one) of a bronze brush bristle anywhere in the receiver lug area, chamber or bore. This is one of the areas I regularly inspect with the borescope.

What I did find years ago when I was push/pulling the brush thru the bore, like sawing a piece of wood, was bristles breaking off, from the back and forth strokes, and laying in the corners of the rifling, where the lands meet the grooves. The cleaning patch (tight fitting & wet with solvent) would pass over the top of them & they remained. 'Til a bullet passed over them?

Since then, I push only, from chamber to muzzle & the brushes wear & start to feel lose, before any bristles break-off. I'm following the advice of Bartlein barrels ( shown on their webpage, FAQ) & remove the brush after each pass down the barrel. Time consuming, I know, but to me, worth it.

Push/pulling also gave me very short brush life, since the bristles are constantly being bent back & forth, no different than bending a piece of sheet metal a few times until it breaks.

Most of my rifles are switch-barrels, & everytime a barrel is removed/replaced, the receiver lug area is closely inspected, cleaned & re-lubed.

With my match chambers, I keep my brass over-all length's at .005" to .010" shorter than chamber length's, so never have a carbon ring in that area now.

8. Gman

Gman Site $$ Contributor

Would using a chamber plug and soaking the bore overnight or longer with Bore-Tech C4 carbon remover dissolve the carbon ring, or will I still have to use some type of abrasive ?

9. fdshuster

Gman: I've tried several different liquid solvents that claim to be effective on carbon removal, unfortunately Bore-Tech C4 was not one of them. But, never left them sit for any length of time to give them a good test, so give it a try.

None of the one's I tried worked, so I continue to use the bronze brush/ JB method. Running low on my supply of JB, have a near full tube of IOSSO, so will try it next, but from what little I know, it also has been reported to be very effective.

10. Gman

Gman Site $$ Contributor

Thanks for all of the input guys !

11. Ing. Michael W. Mayerl

Ing. Michael W. Mayerl

JB Bore Paste + Dewey patches are the best stuff for cleaning and polishing.