Cannons any one?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by 55fairlane, Aug 30, 2019.

1. 55fairlane

55fairlane

After looking thru the scrap box I stumbled across a piece of 1 inch D.O.M. with a 3/8 hole , and i thought , hhhmmmmmm, wonder what this could be good for?
    Then I realized I have never made a black powder cannon! Out to the lathe I went and after about 45 minutes I had the barrel turned and polished up........more pictures to come

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any of you made a fun project? Please show pics of your projects!

2. mikehotel

mikehotel

They wouldn't fit in my carry-on, so I left them there.

IMG_0023.jpg IMG_9793.jpg

joshb likes this.
  3. Sniper338

Sniper338

Id like to have a cannon. 3 or 4 inch bore... maybe just tennis ball size... big boom. Not sure where to get a good one and not junk. One that can be "aimed" somewhat... has settings...

MikeT49 and joshb like this.
  4. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Me too! Bronze....about 3-4 ft. Long. Tennis ball size, maybe golf ball.;)

Uh Oh! Found one!
    32DAF973-60C5-42FF-B386-B9D52D3498C0.png

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    MikeT49 and Sniper338 like this.
  5. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

Quite portable at 100lbs!
    I know what they mean, but I still chuckled!

6. Sniper338

Sniper338

How would you mount that to a stand?? Itd demolish wood with recoil

joshb likes this.
  7. joshb

Oak, bolts and free recoil.;)

Big_Daddy likes this.
  8. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

I've got about 25 lbs of black that I'll never use in my smoke pole. Been thinking about a cannon to have some fun with. Rifled barrel would be great. I'm thinking something in the order of 2" balls at a thousand yards. jd

snert, LonewolfMcquade and joshb like this.
  9. ebb

ebb

Josh has it right!!! I had a custom made spud gun and discovered that the barrel was just right for a cloth patched golf ball. Shooting it with golf balls was like going to Bart's bullets from the potatoes I had been shooting. They flew sooooo good. I could dent the tail gate of a dump truck with one if I used hair spray and a blast of oxygen from the cutting torches. As you might well suspect soon I had an over pressure. The left side of my body from neck to almost waist was one solid burse. I was black and blue for weeks. Golf balls are super round, precise and dense, they fly good.

hogpatrol and joshb like this.
  10. paperpuncher

paperpuncher Silver $$ Contributor

11. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I have a mini cannon made to shoot .177 pellets with cap gun cap innards for fuel. Its fun to shoot balloons etc

12. joshb

I would think you’d have a full size twenty pounder on your porch!:rolleyes:

13. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

In college a buddy of mine and I were both TAs, he was a machining major and I was in diesel tech. We had access to the shops after hours and made several very nice cannons. On was made from some special CRES. A 1.15 inch bore with a 3/4 " wall. We had a lot of fun with it until we ran out of FF black powder and only had a can of FFFF left. For those not familiar with black powder, that is flash powder.
    Well we packed half a can in her, a large wad of cloth, a 1.25 dia x 3 inch long hunk of steel and a wad on top of that. Put a 3 foot fuse on it and took it up to the floor of a rock quarry. Well we lit it and ran like hell. We found a few fragments of the barrel that looked like a banana peel and a three foot round hole in the quarry rock floor.
    Needless to say, that was the end of our cannon making. Not because we blew it up but we graduated and went our ways and to more populated areas.

14. 55fairlane

55fairlane

15. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

Had a neighbor that built a cannon and used metal frozen lemonade cans filled with cement for rounds. Not sure what he used for powder but it would shoot those cans about 500 yards out into the bay. And loud?:eek::eek::cool::cool:

When I first met him, he warned me that he WAS NOT beating his wife. He had a bunch of Peacocks that ran loose on his property. You could hear them at all hours, HAALP, HAALP. Good thing he warned me ahead of time.:confused:;)

joshb likes this.
  16. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

I made a steel shell with a 22 liner about 3" in total length that I use in 30-06 guns that shoots 22 pellets using shotgun primers . Has enough accuracy and power to take squirrels or close turkey head shots .
    Never thought about making a cannon for 177 or 22 pellet ammo .

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  17. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

What about those bowling ball cannons , they use military grade oxygen welding tanks . I've been saving a small 14"X 5" od solid steel billet for a 50 BMG , built one already, now over the 50 kick so a cannon may be in the works .

Gun Smith and Dusty Stevens like this.
  18. Gun Smith

Gun Smith Gold $$ Contributor

My oldest son used to go with a gal who's father had a bowling ball canon made from a welding tank. He used to shoot it across the bay from his yard, and had a video of it, with the ball skipping across the water. Pretty impressive.

19. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

The nitrogen bottle bowling ball cannons will launch a 16lb ball over 1000yds. I think the guy i knew that had one used 2lbs of black powder he made himself. It was some awesome firepower

20. GNERGY

GNERGY Silver $$ Contributor

Back in high school machine shop we made a cannon, what I called a mortor. It was 3 inch OD by 18 inches long, with a hole in it ti fit a flare. It was welded to a piece of angle iron that was welded in the middle of a piece H beam. We would use 2 shotgun shells full of FFFg and light the flare and drop it in there and light the fuse and run and it would shoot it lit out of sight. The mortor would flip over from the recoil. It was a blast.
    Tarey