Can Changing Components Extend the Life of My 6PPC?

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by centershot, Jan 23, 2019.

1. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

The barrel on my 6PPC was shooting good and now the accuracy is falling off. This is used for fun score matches. I would like to extend the life through this winter shooting matches until I can have a new barrel installed. Has anyone changed powder, primer or bullets to accomplish this? Currently using 28.0 of LT-32, 205m primers and the 65 grain bullet is seated as far out of the case without falling out.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  2. 1lnbrdg

1lnbrdg

I've had phenomenal luck with the Speer 70gr TNT bullets in a 6X45 and also a 6SLR jumping way beyond anything you would expect to load and still shoot very good.

3. liljoe

liljoe Silver $$ Contributor

The only way possible to make a barrel last longer is to not shoot it. Period. Every shot will wear to it.

JasonPeterson and INShooter like this.
  4. dstoenner

dstoenner Silver $$ Contributor

You could use JB Bore Paste and kroil concentrating on the throat. It may take a couple of times. I had a 6 BR barrel at 2400 rounds start that. I was able to then get about 50 good rounds in a session before it started being bad. This helped me limp along till a new barrel

David

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    drags likes this.
  5. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Take your PPC platform and have Mike Ezell spin you up a 30Major barrel and modify a comp. set of Redding 6 Grendel dies for you. If you are shooting score matches the 30cal bullet will serve you well. The barrel will last thousands of rounds and the brass will be good for well north of 20 firings. You can use your existing LT-32 and primers. While Mike has your barrel have him install one of his tuners as well. I couldn't be more pleased with my set up and it is just a quick barrel swap to be back to the 6ppc.

Regards
    Rick

6. dedogs

dedogs Gold $$ Contributor

You didn't mention how many rounds down the barrel. dedogs

7. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Silver $$ Contributor

Sounds like if your 65 grain bullet is all the way out of the case your freebore is a little long
    Try a @BartsBullets 68 grain Ultra
    find touch and work into the lands
    You maybe surprised how much life is left
    Give it a good isso scrub before too

8. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

Right at 2,700.

9. K22

K22

I wonder if this has diminishing returns in the sense that by the time you develop and refine a new load you could have used those rounds to shoot your winter matches.

dgeesaman likes this.
  10. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Silver $$ Contributor

Shouldn’t take but 50 rounds or so

jimmymac likes this.
  11. pacificman

pacificman

When my 17 rem started shooting shotgun patterns I found the throat worn out...as said by Tim I went to a bit longer bullet
    and changed to a different powder...lost about 800fps. but I got another year of shooting with that rifle. My accuracy was good
    enough for an extra year of shooting. It won't hurt to give it a try as I don't think you can hurt the barrel any more than it is...:rolleyes::D

12. drags

drags Silver $$ Contributor

This is good advice and has been my experience also.
    Drags

13. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

2700? :eek:
    Did you see accuracy fall off about 1400rds ago? Id jb, iosso, flitz it until you feel it smooth as butter then try it out. Im sure its just getting dirtier faster now. Ive shot barrels like that and they need cleaning every 10-12rds but will get you by in the club environment