Can anyone make me a 50BMG wheel for a Ken Light annealer?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by BOLTED, Aug 22, 2017.

1. BOLTED

BOLTED Silver $$ Contributor

Hey guys and gals,

Ken said he is no longer making or has in stock 50BMG wheels for his annealer. I asked for specs so I could have one made, but I did not get a response. He used to sell them for @ $110, but I procrastinated too long.

Can anyone help me out with this? If someone has one, could you send me the specs? Then I would just need to find someone to make it for me.

I will try this route, and possibly post a WTB or WTR (want to rent) add if I don't get any bites. I have the 30 cal and 223 size wheels, so I have a possible partial template for some of the dimentions.

I was a member of the FCSA for several years and if someone that reads this is connected to that awesome crowd, perhaps they could ask around for me.

I guess I could always sell my annealer, and buy one that is in current production that can handle the 50 cal, but mine works quite well, so I will try this first.

Thanks for your time and help on this!

Dave

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. 230grRN

230grRN Gold $$ Contributor

Dave,

If you have a wheel I can use a pattern I could make you one.

Andy

3. BOLTED

Andy,

The wheels I have would make a template as far as the general wheel dimentions, but im thinking that the thickness of the wheel and the size of the holes may be critical to the brass annealing correctly. Or do you already know the hole size and plate thickness?

I may be able to get close if I can find some images of the 50 size wheel, and I will email Ken Light once more.

If I did have you make one, do you have an estimate of what you would charge?

I very much appreciate you offering to do this for me, thank you. Feel free to email or PM me if that is easier. I will get back to you once I find out a bit more about the unknown dimentions.

Dave
    davejohnson633@gmail.com

4. 230grRN

230grRN Gold $$ Contributor

Dave,

I don't have one of his annealers, I just have a shop full of tools.

I would need have some pretty firm numbers (sizes) to be able to make a usable plate. I highly doubt he will give you any info in the way of dimensions. Your best bet will be to find someone that has one to measure from.

Andy

5. BOLTED

That's what I am hoping for. There has to be a few people out there that have one. Unfortunately,it's looking more and more like I will have to sell mine to get a do all machine.

I'm not giving up quite yet though...

6. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

Can't you use the dimensions from a piece of 50BMG brass to make the plate?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  7. ebb

ebb

Yea if you wanted to make 50 BMG brass that would be the thing to copy.

8. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Gold $$ Contributor

I'm sure JRS has it covered. He can do anything.

9. JRS

If you are afflicted with GS, you have my sympathy:(

10. Eddie Harren

GS? Be specific.

11. JRS

Geezerhood Syndrome.

12. Eddie Harren

I am guilty as charged but, I still recognize the smell of BS, thanks to plenty of stimulation on this site! I also have CRS and Whatzheimers.

WayneShaw likes this.
  13. ebb

ebb

I must be a little slow, I didn't get it at first. This guy is going for the record!

14. wi50shooter

wi50shooter

I'd need an outer diameter of the wheel, and how the bearing setup in the center is, also bearing numbers. The rest is simple.

15. ebb

ebb

JRS I gave you a wide open for several more hits whats up dude?

16. BOLTED

Of course you could use a piece of 50BMG brass for hole size. I believe a bit more thought went into the design though. The plate is a heat sink. The thicker the plate, the more heat it absorbs from the body of the brass as the torches heat up the neck. The hole size also has something to do with how the brass rotates as is goes through the heating area.

If I had the plate thickness and hole size, I could send one of my other plates to copy all the other dimensions from.

I will post an add for a 50BMG wheel, and see if I can get a response.

17. jfseaman

jfseaman Silver $$ Contributor

I use a Ballistic Edge 360 for my 50 brass down to Cheyrac and 375 Huber Express.
    I have ano Annealeze for everything up to 378 Weatherby. I've made some custom wheels for bit and little cartridges.

I resize my 50 to 50 DTC/Europe after using the Ballistic Edge.

I have a shop full of tools as well. If the wheel is less than 11" I could make one. I don't believe height is critical. I would only know more if I had a sample wheel in my hands.

18. BOLTED

I Have a new plan. I think I may sacrifice a 338 wheel, and bore it out to the 50 BMG size. I don't see why I couldn't make some kind of drop in bushing to run the 338's in the larger hole. The 338's may even be okay heating up in the 50 hole if they turn/rotate correctly.

Anyone see anything wrong with this theory? The bushings would heat up and possibly expand, so maybe they would get stuck.

I am NOT Mr machinist, so once I get the 338 plate, I may need some one with a lathe to make the bushings and possibly bore the holes for me.

I do appreciate everyone that chimed in or has offered help, thank you.

Dave

19. paperpuncher

paperpuncher Silver $$ Contributor

I am not familiar with the design of this annealer. My concern would be how the case head is positioned in relation to the feature in the lower base that causes it to spin as the plate rotates. Machining the plate should be simple enough i thing the position of the holes might be critical to assure proper functioning

20. jaclthr

jaclthr Gold $$ Contributor

Hello Dave,

I checked one of my wheels with a 50 BMG case and drilling it out looked like it would make the outer and inner walls pretty thin. I purchased a block of aluminum 2"x8"x8" and am going to try and make me a 50 BMG wheel with a thicker outer ring to keep a thicker wall. Good luck with your venture.

jaclthr

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017