Can a NON- cannelure plated .357 bullet be gripped OK with a roll crimp

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Indy Bob, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Indy Bob

Indy Bob

Howdy all,
    I have a new Henry Big Boy .357 rifle. I plan on "normally" using the 158 gr. powder coated lead bullets …. and I am still doing tests.

The reason I asked about using the 125 gr. NON Cannelure plated (or jacketed) flat nose bullet is because I have about 700 of them that were given to me and would be a savings for me, …. IF indeed this would be safe and work OK in my Henry rifle. I do not plan on loading these 125 gr very hot. (somewhere in the middle of Start loads and Maximum loads.)

I do not want to end up causing problems with my new Henry OR getting hurt. These forums have so many knowledgeable shooters so I would appreciate your personal experiences with this subject.
    Thanks in advance,
    Indy Bob

2. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

a lot of crimp is not recommended on non-cannelure bullets,plated or not,,use only enough to take the flare out of the case mouth and maybe a little more if your worried about the
    recoil making things loosen up,,but thats mainly in handguns

3. Jeff A

Jeff A Formerly known as BikeEffects Silver $$ Contributor

Personally, I would not use them. Too much of a chance of driving the bullets deeper in the case. Now you are doing some real experimentation.

mikld likes this.
  4. Rsadams

Rsadams

+1 on this , I wouldn't use them , the rounds take a beating in the tube and it's just not worth chancing... The flat nose is good because you don't want it hitting a primer in the tube either.... You could still shoot them up only loading two in the tube so their not beating on each other. Or single loading them... The Hornady ftx bullet with the rubber tip I am told is good for leaver guns... I think that's the correct one....

5. pirate ammo

with a 357 mag,bullets go down to 110 gr.,,use proper seating depth and things are good,,I load 158's for my shop,,but I'm using 125's for myself,,Hornady XTP's

6. mikld

mikld

Most of the time a taper crimp is used on a straight sided bullet. Roll crimping plated bullets could be problematic; roll crimp cutting into the plating and possible plating peeling, although I haven't personally experienced it as all my plated bullets were taper crimped. I don't think a taper crimp would add any "tension", aka holding power" for a tube fed rifle. Recoil, spring tension and feeding might "accidentally shorten OAL"...:rolleyes:

This is my reason for not recommending newer reloaders use plated bullets; just different enough and not enough easily found information/data...

7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

I dont think a 357 is going to recoil enough to worry about it

8. rr2030

rr2030

Taper crimp

9. pirate ammo

as I said before,very little or none

10. Indy Bob

Indy Bob

Thanks to EVERYONE for all the replies to my question about a roll crimp on a non-cannelure plated/jacket bullet in a Henry lever gun.
    I believe the "don't do its" win. I will take that advice...... I will use those "free bullets" in my wife's 38 special snub nose.
    I don't load real hot loads in that one either.
    Thanks again to everyone,
    Indy Bob

mikld likes this.
  11. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

Plated bullets will taper crimp fine. BUT...they won’t take a lot of taper crimp. Perhaps the best approach might be a Lee Factory crimp die stabbing the case into the bullet? I dunno, I don’t even own one to say but it might be worth a try.

Rsadams likes this.
  12. 243winxb

243winxb

I think, not a good idea. Plating is thin. 20180711_214037.jpg

13. Rsadams

Rsadams

I have loaded thousands of Berry bullets in 9mm which is taper crimp so it doesn't count... But I also have loaded alot for my wife's .38spl ( Ruger LCR) and wanted to stay with Berry's bullets because I can find them...The problem is with the .38 and Win 231 it takes such a small amount of powder in such a long case it becomes extremely position sensitive and with just a small amount of crimp the burn was horrible , unburned powder every where and filthy....

What I did since I like the Lee fcd , I seated 4 bullets in cases , no powder or primers... Then I crimped one a quarter turn , then a half turn etc , till I got to a full turn.. then pulled them and checked the crimp rings on the Berry's bullets... I settled on the half turn of crimp , you go to much it can break the coating or effect accuracy..... Even at a full turn which was damn sure crimped WAY above what I think it would need , it didn't break the coating... I am not sure what it would have done flying...

I shot a little .357 leaver awhile back because I wanted one and it wasn't really a pussy cat with recoil , the metal butt plate didn't help , it was no 300 win mag but it was no .22 either... I have heard of the 110gr bullets moving in hard recoiling.38s like the Ruger LCR (13oz pistol) , I load 125 gr bullet for her , slowing it down a bit for range practice so it doesn't beat you up as bad... It is possible to roll crimp a Berry's bullet but the more crimp you use the more of a crimp ring it digs into the bullet...Even though the plating is thinner on the Barry's it's tough , finding a bullet that has hit a rock and trying to bend the deformed plating is a real good way to end up looking for a band-aid....

14. mikld

mikld

Which Lee FCD are you talking about? About half the time posters don't say which one of the three Lee Factory Crimp dies they mean. The one that post crimp sizes the round? Depending on the cartridge, either a roll crimp or taper crimp is "standard" in the die. Perhaps you're thinking about a collet crimp die? Lee does make a collet type collet crimp die...

15. Webster

Webster

Single load them.