Cabela's WOW...

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Rsadams, May 19, 2019.

1. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

I also have like $170 in points, by, by, when gone. High prices and I went to a card that gives twice as much back.

Rsadams likes this.
  2. james

james Gold $$ Contributor

I always liked shopping at Cabela's not so much anymore since Bass Pro purchased them - seems like many prices jumped up.

Rsadams likes this.
  3. 6fatrat

6fatrat SLING SHOOTER

Sadly have to agree with above statements, Cabelas is RIP.
    Thanks bass pro!
    Steve Bair

Rsadams likes this.
  4. X-47B

X-47B Romans X:IX Silver $$ Contributor

It’s sad these big company’s don’t understand business. I know that sounds stupid and ignorant on my part. But just reading this thread I see 10 customers that they lost with I’m sure many more. I literally lost interest when they got rid of the bargain cave. So stupid. I would always love to go up there just for that, then I’d end up spending money in other departments. Unfortunatley these days big company are being run by millennials who don’t understand customer service and long term prosperity. They only no how to make personal cuts, increase work loads, cheaper manufacturing. Here is a novel idea, come up with new innovation to make money, Any knuckle head can make a company more money with cuts. It’s instant gain vs long term prosperity. These corporate people don’t know anything about long term prosperity. It’s all about keeping share holders happy and rake in as much money now as possible, sadly

Rsadams and Lone Hunter like this.
  5. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

I still have mine and just a few days ago my card was locked. They do have a fraud protection. I am waiting on a new card now as the old one was compromised.. Soon I will have someone else's card after I shop around

Rsadams likes this.
  6. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

My local Cabela's has morphed in to a clothing, toy and accessory store. Gun related stuff is about 10% of the floorspace. This is the one in DPRD. :(

Rsadams likes this.
  7. lb-ft

lb-ft

The Cabelas story was an incredible American success, from mail order only on a limited fishing fly selection I believe, into what they were before the business failed several years ago.

BassPro was quite an American success story, too.

Loved Cabela’s. BassPro was only ever OK in my book, and it would take a double coupon Black Friday manufacturer rebate for me to buy anything there.

I think those of us who used to shop Cabela’s, and now won’t return because of what they have become, are doing exact what free market consumers should do. We’re voting with our dollars.

I do believe it’s important to remember that Cabela’s either had horrible management, or a failing business model in order to end up in the financial trouble they found themselves in.

Yes, BassPro is annoying as all get-out. But they did purchase a failing company (Cabelas), and they are making changes (granted, changes we don’t like). They did retain most store locations, many employees and their jobs.

It IS a shame to see what Cabela’s has become...but their problems started WAY before BassPro bought them essentially out of bankruptcy.

I’m glad someone bought Cabelas out of bankruptcy, wish it had been Sportsman’s Warehouse or Scheels or Academy, but I’ll continue to vote with my dollars in hopes they will turn into something better.

Whitey and Rsadams like this.
  8. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

Stopped by a Sportsman's Warehouse in Twin Falls, ID last month, and blown away by the amount of shooting & reloading gear. Good pricing. Don't recall any VV powders, that would have been the icing on the cake. My guess is that the margin on Cabela's branded clothing far exceeds shooting related merch profits.

Rsadams likes this.
  9. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

anything but THAT please.

Rsadams and X-47B like this.
  10. D-4297

D-4297

The local Cabella's is two and a half miles from my house . Sportsman's Warehouse is about 18 , and Bruno's is roughly 20 miles . After my last visit to Cabella's , I came to the same conclusions many others here have arrived at . NOT GOING BACK ! After the change-over , Varget went from 29.99 a 1 lb. bottle , to $41.99 . And there were none on the shelf . Nor was there any 4350 of any brand , or 4895 . All of the "Target" bullets were gone , as well as the complete line of S&B primers . Think they're trying to tell shooters something ?
    Since Sportsman's and Bruno's are on the way to Ben Avery ; sort of . I won't have any problem making a slight detour to get what I need from those who support the shooting sports .

Rsadams likes this.
  11. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

I have a problem with the whole concept of "we'll match any competitor's pricing" scheme.

You want me to do the market research and tell you what you already know, that your shit is over priced?

How about this. Once I do the leg work and find the best price I'll buy it from them, and save myself the hassle of driving back over to the place that's always 30-40% higher than everyone else and avoid the additional administrative hassle of taking a number and waiting in line to get a manger's approval.

This is the Gander Mountain business model. How'd that work out.

Rsadams likes this.
  12. Ram

Ram

Bass Pro has ruined the Cabela's here. They are nothing more than another over priced Bass Pro now.

Rsadams likes this.
  13. Albany Mountain

Albany Mountain Silver $$ Contributor

They say they have fraud protection. I was nailed for 4 $100 charges and they only credited me for 3. I spent about 2 hours on the phone, sent a usps priority mail to them with all documentation. NOTHING! so I spent the points and closed the card.

Rsadams likes this.
  14. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

I am going to paty
    I plan on closing the card later this week.

Rsadams likes this.
  15. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

Bankruptcy? I did not no this.You think this is real or just on paper?

Rsadams likes this.
  16. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

Cabela’s still has some deals worth watching. Right now, AE223 ammo on sale $5.79 box of 20. Cheapest I’ve seen in a while.

Last edited: May 20, 2019