Bushmaster Varmint issues

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by J5guy, Apr 7, 2019.

1. J5guy

J5guy

I didn't really get to shoot it much. Started pouring and I didn't want to lay in the rain. I did a barrel break in and was just standing shooting into the berm. When I put it on target at 50 yards 1st shot was 16 minutes low. Dialed up and dead center two shots. I have 14 minutes of elevation left. I believe the scope has 60 or 70 minutes of total travel. I should gain some once I zero at 100 with .223 correct? Not sure how much that will be though. Certainly not 20 more or so minutes to get me even near the center I think. Maybe I did something wrong. I am going to remove and re-install the mount and the scope and see if anything changes.

Thanks

2. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

Good idea to recheck the mount and scope, maybe swap the rings from front to back. I'm not really sure what "gain" you will get at 100 yards but I feel pretty sure you are not going
    to get enough elevation to shoot any distance. A new rail may be in your future, but there still seems to be something out of whack that you are having these scope issues.

3. J5guy

J5guy

Scope is mounted with a warne 1 piece cantilever mount. I needed it to get the scope far enough forward for proper eye relieve. Yeah the major issue is the gun is for long range, 500yrd shooting. Since I had the same issue with this scope on another rifle with a completely different setup I think it is the scope. I am emailing with a guy from vortex so hopefully he has an idea. Otherwise I guess I will have to buy a 20moa mount but I feel like it shouldn't be like that. Might have to take a scope off another gun and try it. See if it's the same issue.

4. mac86951

mac86951 I prefer my targets level and unmoving

Hmm, when zeroed at 100y with the 20moa rail; I find another 13-1/2 - 15 moa will get me to 600y depending on load. That would be a 34ish moa total change. Of course this is super subjective to your muzzle velocity; but that much is what it takes to get a 77gr going 2650ish fps to 600y. I wouldn't recommend farther than that with anything fed from a magazine; unless you're really up for a challenge.

-Mac

5. J5guy

J5guy

That's good to know. I have not taken .223 out that far yet so I have no idea how much I need. I also have not tested any loads yet so I have no idea where I will be with that. I have whole strings ready to go with different weights, just need to get to the range. Thank you for the info.

mac86951 likes this.
  6. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

Warne makes a 20 MOA cantilever mount. Several years ago I started setting up everything with a 20 MOA rail, then it's there if I need it. It doesn't cost anymore when initially setting the gun up.

7. J5guy

J5guy

Yeah I may need to just start always buying 20MOA rails.

8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I did that for a while- now i have a zero and a 20 for a 6br i have. Couldnt get on target at 200 with a nf br scope and barely stayed on paper at 300

9. J5guy

J5guy

Yeah I guess that is another possible issue. Those NF BR models have less internal adjustment I think though. I remember seeing is when I was scope shopping. Like 30 or 40 total. So if your lucky, or unlucky I guess, and start in the middle, you only have have 15 or 20 MOA to work with right?

10. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

Use thin piece of brass to shim the rear of the rail 10 MOA

J5guy likes this.
  11. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

Some will use a pop can for shims - aluminum. Need one piece mounts or Burris insert rings to maintain centerlines.

J5guy likes this.
  12. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

Don't forget windage plays a big part in the scopes total vertical. You want to be as near center as possible . Anywhere near max left or right will give you almost no elevation . Think of a circle inside of a circle . Having the inner circle at the 3:00 or 9:00 position changes both horizontal and vertical when trying for more elevation . Hope this makes sense , allergy season .

13. J5guy

J5guy

I think I am pretty much centered on the windage turret. But that is good to know.

14. spitfire_er

spitfire_er Silver $$ Contributor

I'm curious as to what was the original issue. I live not to far from Alhmans and been there several times. I thought they had more than one guy there, but they appear to be pretty busy when I'm there. There's a possibility that it could have been a poorly threaded barrel too. They may have needed to get a new barrel from Bushmaster.

15. J5guy

J5guy

I am planning on calling there and just asking what they they did, so I will update once I get a chance to call. I figured I would have gotten something explaing what the problem was. The guy at Gander that helped me get it shipped out said the gunsmith usually calls the owner of the firearm, I didn't get one. Maybe they are just super busy, which I understand, a note or something would have sufficed. Anyways, Ill let you know what I find out.

16. J5guy

J5guy

On another note, after emailing with 2 people from Vortex they said it doesn't sound like I was doing anything wrong in mounting the scope and are paying for me to send it in, they said they will hopefully have it figured out in a couple days. Here's hoping.

17. J5guy

J5guy

So I finally had a chance to call and they said they replaced the handguard. She said it was incorrect, so I assume cross threaded from the factory. That was all they did I guess, no notes about the barrel.