Bullets keyholing at 25yds

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Ironworker, May 15, 2018.

1. Ironworker

Ironworker Silver $$ Contributor

I have a 8" twist 22/250 . Its my varmint rifle and have easily shot 1500 rounds thru it. Well I guess I shot the throat out. Today at 25 yds bullet holes were oblong and keyholing . Gunsmith who chambered it also says throat is shot out and thinks (before chamber casting) that there is hope. Says he thinks he can cut and inch of chamber end and re-chamber and it will be fine. Have any gunsmiths done this before ?

Ggmac likes this.
  2. Ggmac

Ggmac

Don't be fooled , a hotshot 22/250 even with mild loads is toast at 1000 rds . I've done a lot of barrel work on 22-250s at least 4-6"" of your barrel is toast . The only way it pays to setback is if you can do the work yourself . Even then it's a crapshoot. Just get a new barrel . Consider it tires on your car or gas in your tank , an expendable commodity.
    Must be using it for varmits.

BartsBullets, kendog, joshb and 3 others like this.
  3. Ironworker

All my loads were hot loads, yes I was using it for varmints .So based on what your saying its time for a new bbl.

carlsbad likes this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

unless you can do the work yourself a rechamber with a setback is not smart money- and sure not smart money on a 1500rd 22-250.

BartsBullets, kendog and hogpatrol like this.
  5. Ironworker

So what barrel maker ? Currently it's a Brux on it with 8"twist#4 contour( Next bbl will be a Rem Varmint contour),it shot better than I could. I looked at Bartlein and they have 7.7 twist 5R rifling ,is that a better bbl if you mostly shoot 75gr and heavier ? I was able to shoot 90gr Sierra MK out of my brux and was able to consistently hit full soda pop cans at 350 yds. .

6. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Try a Mullerworks. Greg has some in 7.5 twist in stock.
    http://www.bugholes.com/category-s/1961.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=1961&show=10&page=3

Danny1788 likes this.
  7. kendog

kendog

[QUOTE="Ironworker,[/QUOTE]

Is that you, Larry??

8. Ironworker

Is that you, Larry??[/QUOTE]
    Yes Ken ! How are you ?

kendog likes this.
  9. Ironworker

10. kendog

kendog

Yes Ken ! How are you ?[/QUOTE]

Doin good. Jeez, on your illustrious IW pension you can afford to pay double for a barrel and not even notice!! All those cost-of-living increases we get and all...:cool:
    In answer to your original question, 22-250's are almost like a 220 Swift for barrel life. Which is damn short. Cutting an inch off will not even come close to removing the cratered trough that once was the throat.

11. Ironworker

I don't have cost of living increases ........ What is your occupation now ? Ya i'm going to re-barrel it .

12. Ggmac

Ggmac

A std old fashion 1-14 will throw a 52 gr to 350 yds real easy . Less recoil explosive results . Slightly better , less expensive bullets .

13. Gottschall

Gottschall

Just get another Brux!

14. VaRandy

VaRandy

The Brux is my first choice cut barrel. You should also consider a 3 land Lilja for comparisons sake.

15. tclaunch

tclaunch Silver $$ Contributor

If your smith scoped the barrel, he should be trusted for his advise. You could get at least another 800 rounds at less than 1/2 the cost of new tube. If you decide for sure on a new tube and want to sell the shot out one I`d be interested in buying it. I do my own work so would save $.

16. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Go with a three groove this time and see if it lasts any longer.

17. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

If you gotta pay, get a new tube.
    If he will do the work for free it might surprise you...
    If I were to set it back, I would take more if possible---you probably wont have enough shoulder meat to do that...
    Make sure you have him freshen the crown up too.

18. kendog

kendog

Ha ha. The cost of living thing is a cruel joke. I dont believe we have had a pension increase in 20 or so years.
    My wife and I moved to the Sierra foothills and I do advanced gunsmithing for a few shops in the south bay as well as individuals. Barreling, chambering, bedding, etc., as well as general repair, brakes, refinishing, and some general machine work (anything that can be handled in a Bridgeport or 12" lathe).

19. Ironworker

Gunsmith called ,chamber cast bore and scoped it. He says the throat is fried ,but didn't see any Fire crack in the rest of bore. He thinks cutting anywheres from a 1/2" to 1" might fix it. He'd testfire to make sure. I'm in no hurry I think I'll re-barrel it.

20. Ggmac

Ggmac

Don't waste your money setting it back . Anyone that's played ( read , professional rebarreled) knows it's toast . 800 to 1200 rds with a 22-250 , even slow fire , will be a stick used for practice or reloading tool stock .
    Get a new barrel , life is too short to spend time trying to get another 200 rds out of it .

kendog and hogpatrol like this.