Bullets hitting the barrel face (223/90 Berger) on Remington (updated info)

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Michael C, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Michael C

Michael C Silver $$ Contributor

I have a Remington 700 solid bottom single shot (40X) action and it's my 223 Palma rifle. The first time I shot it I was using Sierra 90s and had no problem, but Saturday I shot the Berger 90s for the first time. After throwing the cartridge in the action and gently closing the bolt I found every one would hang up on the barrel face and would not go in the chamber. I had to stick each one up inside the chamber, which sucks with a sling on as I fumbled around trying to find the hole. I guess it's the shape of the bullet. Anyone have a fix?
    Mike

2. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

Is the Berger the VLD? If it is, it is a longer bullet than the Sierra.

3. gme

gme Site $$ Sponsor

when using a repeater action as a single shot, I make the follower for .223's with angle so the cartridge sets with a nose up attitude, which works well, with a solid bottom about all you can do is make sure the edges are chamfered on the step leading to the bolt recess and chamber entrance

msinc and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  4. Michael C

JRS, yes, Berger 90 VLD.
    Gary, I should have just used my repeater action in hindsight. But the smith made me a good deal on this solid bottom action.

gme likes this.
  5. long40shot

long40shot Gold $$ Contributor

Did you use the same setting on your seating die for the Berger as you did the Sierra?

6. expiper

expiper

now you see why cone breaching was invented,,,Roger

msinc, SG4247, mac86951 and 2 others like this.
  7. Michael C

Long40shot, I am jammed on the Berger and jumping SMK. Just wanted to know if someone had an easy fix. The rifle shoots great so far.

8. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Nothing saying you cant cut a 25 degree angle on that Remington nose and cut a cone breech on the barrel. I have done it, works fine and its as safe as many of the other coned actions. You will need to change to a mini16 or sako extractor though.

painter likes this.
  9. Michael C

I may do that when it's time for a new barrel. I will just live with it until then.

10. Michael C

This is funny, I had pointed my 90 SMK's and did not think I had a instert that the Berger 90's needed. However, I realized that I did have the #1 insert after my first loading of the Bergers. So, a few minutes ago, I thought why was the Berger hitting and the SMK not? Was it because they were pointed? So, I pointed up a Berger 90 and loaded a dummy round. Shazam! No issues. So there you have it. Maybe Widden should use it as a marketing point. Anyway, problem solved. Mike

11. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

I've run into the same issue before. Never thought of this. Glad you posted.