Bullet hole

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by Steve Ladino, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino

My question is "Why are some of my bullet holes cut cleanly for approx. 180 degrees circumferentially and the other 180 degrees is not cut completely but have the typical carbon rubbed off look, I'm thinking the bullets are tipping into the wind and entering the paper target at an angle. Others have said they don't think so. These are .30 cal. holes made with 125 grn. bullets from a 17 twist Krieger brl. 2950 FPS. Thanks !

2. gambleone

gambleone Silver $$ Contributor

What's the distance?

3. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

Tighten your paper on the target . Larry

nmkid, M-61, Steve Ladino and 3 others like this.
  4. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino

200 out to 400 yds

5. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino

Could be, I will check the other guy's bullet holes and see if theirs are similar, using heavy target paper now, like the type used at matches.

6. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

Pull them down tight . Larry

Rsadams and Steve Ladino like this.
  7. CJ6

CJ6

Spray Hi-Tac on your backer (I use .267 corragated), then apply your target, let dry.

Steve Ladino and savagedasher like this.
  8. Ballisticboy

Ballisticboy

There are several explanations which may apply in addition to the loose paper target. The direction of the 180 degrees may give some indication of the cause. If it is horrizontal or close to horrizontal then it could be due to wind induced yaw as you speculated or yaw of repose, though the latter will be very small. If the direction is random then it could be launch induced yaw which has not damped out. Some bullet/gun combinations are better at rapidly damping out yaw than others though I would expect an increase in group size compared to well damped bullets.

Steve Ladino likes this.
  9. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino

I'm not positive its loose paper at least where I shoot. Usually the irregularity is at the 300/400 yd. distance. The winds are often switching and can be worth 6/7 inches at 400 yds. with strong head winds and strong 4o'clock or 2 o'clock winds at 300 yds. or at 200 yds. all at once, it's a challenge ! I don't recall this condition on a calm day as most are not but the next time it's calm I will eliminate the wind caused effect and go with loose paper if the holes still are irregular looking......Thanks everyone !

10. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

The answers about the paper not being tight are right, or if you are shooting over the top of a big hole in the target will also cause that.

Joe Salt

Rsadams, smoooth and Steve Ladino like this.
  11. Macropod

Macropod

I noticed that with my 308Win that using 2206H (H4895 in the US) with 155.5gn Berger FB's the holes in 100m targets were not clean cut compared to using BM8208 (XBR8208) in tuned loads.

The BM8208 loads on target looked like wadcutter holes they were that clean cut. I put it down to less bullet upset upon exiting the muzzle. The velocities were similar between the two above powder types but BM8208 is a faster powder resulting in less pressure in the barrel at the time of bullet exit. There is a definite reduction in felt recoil too, using the faster powder. Both powders can produce exceptionally good groups.

seymour fish likes this.
  12. T-shooter

T-shooter

A good paper to use for targets is full size poster board. It's reasonably heavy and cheap. I buy it in 100 packs for about $0.33 a sheet and use stick on target dots. They are easy to see against the white background
    Target Board..jpg

13. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

I use way thicker paper two, which alleviates problem you're having. Take the dividers out of notebooks and use them. You should be able to get extra thick paper at any printing shop.

14. Link

Link

Are the holes in the X ring ?
    Link

15. nmkid

nmkid Silver $$ Contributor

Looks like one is. I can expand the picture out with my fingers.