Browning X bolt Max long range 6.5 PRC

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Ironworker, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Ironworker

Ironworker Silver $$ Contributor

Local Sportsmans warehouse had a sale on the Browning X Bolt Max long range .I shot another shooters max at the range,his was 6.5 Creedmoor. I hit a bullseye easily. So I bought one ,with book accuracy loads and using powders that other shooters are saying is the stuff. Hornady 140gr ELD and Sierra 150gr MK I found I could place 5 shots within a 5" circle at 100 yds and that was the best with VLD and about 3" with Hornady ELD . I seated bullets to book recommendations for both bullets . The sierra bullet is a VLD so it was just a few thousands off the lands . My Savage A17 shoots better at a 100yds than this rifle !Gunsmith thinks it's the poor factory bedding. Another shooter has the more expensive X bolt long range in a Carbon stock and he's getting same results . He places the action in another stock that was known for 1/2 MOA and he said its decreased the groups sizes marginally ,he notices it was a few 3 shot groups spread in a larger circle ,so it was a wandering zero ??? Browning doesn't guarantee MOA with this gun . Do you think a new bbl would fix this ?

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

A browning has never been considered an accuracy capable rifle. Likely a new barrel may yield baseball size accuracy if the gunsmith gets lucky but its a crapshoot. Id sell that to the first guy i seen with a buckmark on the back glass and buy a tikka or remington.

jamesh, Stan Taylor and Ironworker like this.
  3. Ironworker

Ironworker Silver $$ Contributor

Well what is it about them that is so bad ? Is action out of truing ,harmonics ?

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Nothing that can be fixed so i guess design

Stan Taylor likes this.
  5. hunter67

hunter67

My wifes plain old x bolt shoots everything we put in it. My hand-loads shoot half or under if we do our job. Take it to a competent gunsmith and he will tell you whats wrong. Oh ya work up your own loads. Just cuz it shot in someone else rifle doesn't mean its going to shoot in yours.

6. jmcmath

jmcmath

Have you actually spoken to browning over this?

I have a long range stalker that shoots be very well for a factory rifle

Ironworker likes this.
  7. Pyscodog

Pyscodog

I had a Browning X-Bolt LR Hunter in 308 that was boring accurate. Cut holes at 100yds consistently with handloads.

8. Rstrick0352

Rstrick0352

This sounds like a mechanical issue ie scope mounting issues, action torque, etc. If it is truly the rifle, I’m sure Browning will make it right.

9. Unclokie88

Unclokie88

I agree, With prior statements. These are super accurate rifles. Don't let the trolls get you down. There is a fix. Browning has a great reputation for customer service too. I have a light barrel 25-06
    xbolt that regularly shoots 3/4 inch groups with factory Hornady ammo. They will find the answer or replace it I would bet.