browning a-bolt (hells canyon) mcmillian long range

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by chop house, Mar 9, 2018.

1. chop house

chop house Silver $$ Contributor

does anyone have experience with this rifle in 6.5 cm? a buddy showed up at the range today with one he picked up used, complaining of poor groups. his load was 41.5 grn accurate 4350, hornady 129 sst. I didn't catch the primer type or coal, brass was new commercial (hornady maybe). this load works for him in a savage 12 fv 1:8. he had not yet measured the freebore, was just itching to shoot so simply duplicated what worked in the model 12.

short story shorter... retorqued all exposed fasteners, checked clearances, tightened muzzle brake, refocused the viper scope and still shot 5 into 2.5" at 100. no pressure signs. (we didn't chrono as i had my own project on the bench)

we didn't have a way to measure the freebore at the range, so all i could do was suggest he cut the load, seat longer, and maybe go up to 140's until he got it shooting.

anyone else tried the 129's in a 1:7 1/2? what have you found this rifle to be capable of? brownings marketing literature boasts of moa out of the box, which seems rather passe in todays environment.

thx

2. cjames

cjames Silver $$ Contributor

Most of the Browning I have shot have shot well. I have a Microhunter in 7mm-08 that would not bore sight. Impact would be 2 ft from bore. And grouped about 1 1/2” 3 shot group. Sent it in and they sent me a new barreled action believe it or not. This one shoots about 3/4” 3 shots on average. Call Browning and see what they say.

Zero333 likes this.
  3. JBT

JBT

He could try some load development. Every rifle is different.

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Brownings are not known for their accuracy. They shoot minute of deer. Of course there are always exceptions like we’ll hear about real soon but the norm isnt razor edge accuracy

montana bob, JBT and riverwolf1 like this.
  5. Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

I have a new HC LR in Creed but haven't shot it yet. I sent the stock back to McMillan to have it shortened and a new pad fit. Sent the barreled action to Ron Bartlett @ Vais to have the muzzle threads squared to the bore and a real brake installed. The Browning brake is an oversized joke. While a brake isn't needed at all with the Creed, I think it would track nicely and be a pleasure to shoot with the anticipated 40-45% recoil reduction of the Vais. The rifle comes with a thread protector for use when the brake is removed.

I did measure the throat and noticed that any of the VLD type bullets loaded out to maximum magazine length would put the ojive very close to the rifling but not into the rifling. That seems to have been worked out pretty well.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  6. chop house

chop house Silver $$ Contributor

buddy showed up at range with a different load... 143 eld-x and 40 or so of h4350, jumped maybe 10 thou this time. the rifle shot fine, both with his loads and hornady precision factory ammo with the same bullet.

so, don't know which was the problem... accurate 4350, 129 sst, charge or depth, but he doesn't really care.... he's gunning now for a 400 yard 'yote to try it on.