bronze vs nylon

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by 762willdo, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

try the ISSO blue nylon from Midway or Sinclair. Very effective.

2. ljc300

ljc300

8 years ago i opined on the use of brass brushes as being benign, but have since heard a good argument how they can damage a barrel if misused. They can damage the crown if pulled back into the bore when laden with carbon fouling. The brush becomes very abrasive with that very hard debris, and can unevenly wear the crown, causing it to become asymmetric over time. I saw an interview on Youtube of a reputable barrel maker who described that bad practice, and how important it is to remove the brush before retracting the rod for the next pass.

3. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

A couple of things to add to this old thread, I short stroke very wet patches on undersized jags until I see that I have most of the easy to remove stuff out. I do this specifically so that my bronze brushes will not be working in a slurry of crud. Then I brush, taking time to keep my rod straight and slowing down as I exit the muzzle so that I can reverse just as the last bristles clear. This tends to minimize any dragging of the rod on the crown. I have never seen any evidence of crown wear caused by cleaning on one of my barrels. When I have time I can use cleaning methods that require less rod use, but when I am cleaning at the range I do not have that luxury. One final thought, barrels are a consumable. Crowns often benefit from a touch up no matter how carefully you clean. There are other things that happen that dull them.

mikegaiz likes this.
  4. seymour fish

seymour fish

VFG for the win !

5. Martin52

Martin52

I use a bronze brush, dry, at the end of a match to brush out the carbon. Then follow up with C4.
    Martin