bronze vs nylon

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by 762willdo, Sep 28, 2006.

1. 762willdo

762willdo

Am i the only idiot that cleans his krieger with brinze brushes?
    I just don't feel that nylon gets the barrel as clean as bronze. what are you guys using?
    Thanx.

2. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

I say keep brushing to a minimum, but some times a bronze brush is just what the doctor ordered.

With some of my guns, I don't brush at all, but with others a bronze brush is needed to attack stubborn carbon. For an in-between routine, put a patch over an undersized brush and work that in the throat area with JB or IOSSO paste. -- NOTE: I'll only do that if there's clear evidence of a carbon problem.

For more perspectives on use of bronze brushes, check out this article: http://www.6mmbr.com/borebrushing.html

3. tightneck

tightneck Gold $$ Contributor

There are many opinions on this subject and mine is that every barrel is different. Some need brushing more often than others and its been my experience that the newer the barrel, the less brushing it needs. As they get more worn, it takes a little more time and elbow grease to get the job done. Not all barrels are the same as though and I have one Kreiger in 243 AI that fouls copper very badly and its only got 250 rounds in it. Shoots teeny little groups once I get the copper out.

4. dreever

dreever Gold $$ Contributor

On this barrel I started with no brushing. I was getting no copper, but it took a lot of patches to get all the powder and carbon out to the point of pure white patches with no black streaks.
    I now use two wet patches then five strokes of a Montanna Extreme Nylon brush,they are stiffer than others) removing the brush each time it exits the muzzle so as not to hurt the crown by pulling it back through, then normal patching which gets it clean much faster. I suppose sooner or later I may have to use a bronze brush but untill that time the nylon seems to be doing the trick.
    My solvent of choice is Pro Shot Copper Solvent IV which is almost the same as Bore Tech Eliminator but a bit more user and enviromental friendly.,Check those MSDS sheets on any solvent you plan to use).

Danny

5. tenring

tenring

Danny - I had not heard of the Montana Extreme Nylon brush previously. I stopped using bronze core brushes a year ago when I discovered the Iosso nylon brush. They are available thru Midway USA. Tight fit, and do a good job. Probably similar to the Montana brush. Gene

6. jb1000br

jb1000br

My opinion on this matter has jumped all over the place in the last couple years...

Started bronze...went MX Nylon, then NONE, now bronze again :rolleyes:

Nylon WILL embed with hard crud...does it hurt? don't know for sure.

NO BRUSHING burnt me...carbon built up and gave a super load vertical...and pressure...

Now I do bronze brushing with SLIP C. Killer or GM TEC follwoed with a wipeout soak.

YMMV,
    JB

7. WayneShaw

WayneShaw

I believe brushing with bronze brushes is needed to keep a barrel in top condition. Nylon to me just doesn't have what it takes to get carbon loose. I use brushes wet, after a couple wert patches to get the bulk out. I have never seen proof the a bronze brush will harm a bore. It may over time smooth off the crown from being dragged back thru, but a crown touch-up is easy to get done, nad some believe should be done periodically away.

There are many opinions on this, follow what feels best and what your barrel likes.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  8. USAPatriot

USAPatriot

I suppose my question was along the lines of the last reply. How would it be possible for a softer metal to damage a harder metal? Still, I rarely use bronze brushes. I'd rather keep replacing nylons when they start to show signs of wear. I guess I'm just a chicken. -Rod-

gtl1946 and 6BRinNZ like this.
  9. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

"How would it be possible for a softer metal to damage a harder metal?"

Same way water erodes rock... time and pressure and repetition.

That said, I use primarily Wipe Out w/ no brushes, but every so often I do hit it w/ a good quality bronze brush and some Kroil to knock out any accumulated crud.

perry42 likes this.
  10. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Gold $$ Contributor

I use the MX nylon and found that they are more than adequate for my use. I also use the Kleen Bore, but the MX is the best.

I use MX 50 BMG and have found that the best to keep copper and carbon out. Rarely do I have to work extra hard on the carbon in the throat. However I do not moly.

BH

11. Will

Will

I use nylon brushes but mostly VFG felt wads. Have used bronze brushes in past. One thing you might want to try is when you finish running the brush and rod on this cycle to flush/spray the brush with denatured alcohol,or carb cleaner) to remove all bore cleaner. Also wipe down the rod. Doesn't matter if you are using a Dewey, BoreTech, carbon fiber, nylon or bronze ... it just makes sense and actually makes the brushes last longer. I usually spray the brush over some waster paper towels in the trash and this way I can see just how dirty,OR Not) the bore was on that pass.

seymour fish likes this.
  12. kaferhaus

kaferhaus

I use the Foul out..... "gasp". but it works like a charm, does no damage and I've won my share of "wood" cleaning my barrels this way...

At a match, it's patches only.... you're shooting so few rounds that MY barrels either don't copper at all, or only develop a trace after a days match..

13. StephenPerry

StephenPerry

Shooters
    I have an extensive Cleaning Thread on the Competition page. Just revised it too.
    Stephen Perry

14. jimm

jimm

I reckon there might be something in the water too

15. CentrePunch

CentrePunch

Hi Jimm, Is that you?
    Take a look at the left click button on your mouse, if its anything like mine it will have a smooth shiney patch were the finish has been worn away by light finger pressure.
    Got the same on the remote for the telly.

Ian.

16. caroby

caroby

I'm with you Danny !!!!

PRO-SHOTS IV my freind...! VERY EFFECTIVE. Mostly using a Nylon brush, but I use a Bronze brush with a good dose of Kano oil and Butches bore shine between yardages. Honestly though, the regiment of Pro Shots and Nylon keeps the Carbon and Copper outta my Kriegers, Shilens and Brux barrels... Perfectly.

CaleR

17. ljc300

ljc300

IMHO there nothing a bronze brush going through a bbl at about 1 foot per second can do that a 3000+ fps bullet with 40K+ psi high pressure gas behind it can. It's how you use it,technique) and how often. As far as chemicals go, has anyone had any good/bad luck with the new foaming type spray cleaners ?

18. MrCrowley

MrCrowley

Yeah I have been using Wipeout foam in my .223 after a couple of wet Hoppes 9 patches. I love the stuff.
    Then after I have had dinner or a beer or 2 at the end of the day, I patch out the Wipeout and see the color on the patch. When it's clean I just give it another Hoppes patch and then a dry one. Nice and easy.

19. shcal

shcal

I've changed my cleaning technique in the past several months and I now have more confidence in getting the barrel clean. I start with Carbon Killer 2000 in a flooded barrel. I have small soft cork stoppers that I place in the muzzle and then flood the barrel with Carbon Killer. I let sit for about 5-10 minutes, drain back into the Carbon Killer bottle and then run a bronze brush through the bore a few times to loosen the carbon, followed by patching until clean. I then follow with Bore Tech Eliminator patching the bore and removing the copper. Dry bore and lubricate with Ballistol or Lock-Eze or Micronol, depending on which barrel, if it is to be stored or shot immediately.

20. robbor

robbor

I was going to give the nylon brushes a try, I checked with Sinclare and their brushes were not Montana Extreme, I want to say they were dewey. I heard they were mx, but they arent. Just incase anybody was wondering.